FA Youth Cup Thread

LDN Blue

So interesting reading back this thread. Some of the names that were mentioned by fellow posters have made the grade at first team level such as CHO, Mount, Tomori, Abraham.

The season when we had the best youth team was when we had likes of Aina, Tomori, Clarke-Salter, Jay DaSilva, Colkett, Boga, Musonda, Izzy Brown, Solanke, Abraham.

They were a little older and from that batch most of them have had good careers. Aina, Tomori, Boga, Solanke and Abraham are all playing in elite divisions. Solanke has not reached his potential but he still can and has age on his side and was lethal last season. Jay DaSilva was outstanding in our youth set ups and was amazing but my one doubt about him was his size which I believe was why we sold him. Now at Bristol City but defo still will become a prem palyer eventually. Clarke-Salter is now at QPR. Good defender. Whether he will make the prem remains up in the air.

Colkett has struggled. He left us to go to a Swedish team and had his fair share of injuries. Is now currently at Crewe in League 2, which is a shame as people had high hops for him and he regularly captained our youth sides also. I always thought he may not make the grade, simply because he is effective with a team being built around him and dictating play. Once he moved on, always thought he would struggle.

Izzy Brown and Musonda have had the worst luck. Both their careers been blighted by injuries. Musonda faced over 2-3 years recovering from injury and was released this summer. Brown had a few decent loans but then again injuries also and was not having the desired impact. He joined Preston last summer on a one year contract and within a few weeks, he ruptured his achilles and was out for season. Now is free agent along with Musonda. Brown was one of those who Mourinho said he would take responsibility if Brown did not represent England in future along with Lewis Baker (currently at Stoke) whose career has not gone as planned also. Partly due to the wrong loan moves.

The youth graduates later feature likes of Mount, CHO, James and Gallagher who are first team players with Mount and James being solid first team starters and prob our most important players. Gallagher defo has made the biggest impression and surprise as he was a relatively dark horse in the youth set ups and I don't think most Chelsea supporters earmarked him as one who would be where he is at now. He has done really well. Sterling who was a fave of mine in the youth set up also has not reached his potential but still has age on his time. Seeing back on the comments it seems several posters on here were impressed by Sterling.

Good to read though to keep track of who has made the grade and whose careers has not gone necessarily as planned.

Just thought I would provide a little update as I am big on youth football :)

• 5 months later...