FA Youth Cup Thread

LDN Blue

I wasn't particularly impressed by last night's display.

It took us a while to establish any control and when we did, it was not the kind that led to the creation of many clear cut chances. In fact there were hardly any chances at all which resulted in their keeper being worked. Even the goal, when it came, was from a set piece. Albeit a well worked one. I'm afraid though that it was really all downhill from there with the second half performance in particular becoming steadily more disjointed as time ticked on.

A key reason for this patchy outing was the form of Kyle Scott in the centre of the park. He was energetic and calm in possession as usual but I felt sorry for the kid as he had a wretched night passing wise. A staggeringly high percentage of his deliveries were either misplaced and gave possession away or under hit meaning that they were intercepted, resulted in a tackle or set up very poor quality possession. There had been some pre-game complaints about the pitch so maybe the surface contributed to Kyle's troubles. Either way, when his substitution came midway through the second half, it felt like it was long overdue. Keep your head up son, there will be better days.

More positively, I thought defenders Clarke-Salter and Tomori were our stand out performers on the night. Of the forward players, Sterling showed the best form but he struggled for an end product. For the most part Tammy Abraham was starved of decent possession but he wasn't able to make the most of what little he did get.

This team has to work harder for their victories than their recent predecessors. They don't have the stand out brilliance of Boga, Colkett or Musonda to rely on and they were without Charlie Wakefield who has probably been their most penetrative player in recent months. I don't know when Charlie will be back but I think he'll make a difference if he's available for the second leg at The Bridge in three weeks time.

• 1 month later...

Butch Wilkins has been bemoaning what he sees as a lack of intensity but I'm really enjoying the game. These are two high quality U18 sides who have produced some excellent, and  really interesting, football.

We were utterly dominant for the opening 10-15 minutes and we finished the half more strongly but in between City had their moments. For us Jake & Fikayo have been outstanding defensively as well as stepping out with the ball. Fikayo in particular has carried a threat right into City's box from open play. He's been great, as has Trevor Chalobah playing at right back. He's been solid and has made two or three really threatening runs with good deliveries on the end of them. As I type, he has just done it again only this time, Mason Mount has converted to put us one up early in the second half.

For City there is no question about who has been their star. Based on what I saw during the EUFA Youth League campaign, the young Spaniard Brahim Diaz is the best development level player in Europe. By a mile. He is an outstanding player who  is a cast iron, 100% certainty to make it at the highest level. The kid is truly an exceptional footballer. Well played City for winning his signature.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Butch Wilkins has been bemoaning what he sees as a lack of intensity but I'm really enjoying the game. These are two high quality U18 sides who have produced some excellent, and  really interesting, football.

We were utterly dominant for the opening 10-15 minutes and we finished the half more strongly but in between City had their moments. For us Jake & Fikayo have been outstanding defensively as well as stepping out with the ball. Fikayo in particular has carried a threat right into City's box from open play. He's been great, as has Trevor Chalobah playing at right back. He's been solid and has made two or three really threatening runs with good deliveries on the end of them. As I type, he has just done it again only this time, Mason Mount has converted to put us one up.

For City there is no question about who has been their star. Based on what I saw during the EUFA Youth League campaign, the young Spaniard Brahim Diaz is the best development level player in Europe. By a mile. He is an outstanding player who  is a cast iron, 100% certainty to make it at the highest level. The kid is truly exceptional footballer. Well played City for winning his signature.

Diaz is only 16 as well. Amazing how technically good he is. Different class. Plays really like Messi. Imagine him in a few years if he continues developing...

13 minutes ago, Stats said:

Diaz is only 16 as well. Amazing how technically good he is. Different class. Plays really like Messi. Imagine him in a few years if he continues developing...

Agreed but it's not just the technique. It's how he sees things around him his in stride deliveries and the little scooped passes and so on. Arsene Wenger says football speaks to Jack Witshire, well she sings songs and takes her clothes off for this kid.

Finished 1-1. We must be a good side because City certainly are and we held our own against them. Indeed on balance of play, and balance of chances, we probably deserved to win.

Tomori MoTM. He was brilliant defensively and a threat breaking out from the back.

2nd leg, Stamford Bridge next Wednesday.

And we have won the FAYC for the third time in a row!!!!! We beat City 3-1 with goals from Sterling, Abraham and Tomori. Well done. Excellent achievement considering the crop that left us last season which included, RLC, Christensen, Brown, Boga, Musonda and Solanke. Congrats! :clap:

I was concerned about how this might go but the lads reminded me that I am one of the most pessimistic Chelsea fans going. I sometimes forget that when I read the doom laden, and aggressively hate filled thoughts of some TC members. I needn't have worried however. They fully and comfortably deserved their win. Well played boys.

Congratulations too to Joe Edwards. When Dermot Drummy was moved out of the dug out and into a liaison role, I had the strong feeling that he was being moved sideways. With Joe however I genuinely think his impending change is all about his personal development. Sounds a good plan to me.

Good luck to Jody when he takes over. I was never his biggest fan as a player, never a fan of any size if I'm honest, but I really like his demeanour around the place since his return. I'm very impressed by his thinking on the game as evidenced in his CTV appearances. He has a clarity and an honesty in the way he appraises performances and situations. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does when he takes charge of the 18s.

While I'm at it, good luck too to Dermot at Crawley Town.