FA Youth Cup Thread

LDN Blue

dont let the fight back cover up for a shocking defensive display against ateam we should have beaten easily . It must raise questions

about the standard of coaching in the academy

I wonder whether it is only at Chelsea or all across the youth/reserves level in England???

dont let the fight back cover up for a shocking defensive display against ateam we should have beaten easily . It must raise questions

about the standard of coaching in the academy

In our match against Napoli, Garry Neville made ( as much as I hate to admit it) a good point that the goals that we and Arsenal conceded are a sign that defensive standards are on the down in all English football, not just the at youth level.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Chelsea are continuing their pursuit of a sixth FA Youth Cup Final appearance in seven years and, hopefully, a fifth win in that period. Our under 18s are currently playing away to Manchester United in a fourth round tie. We lead 1-0 through a headed goal from Ike Ugbo. Ike nodded home after the keeper had just managed to keep out the original headed effort from Tammy Abraham. Brilliant run and cross from Jay Dasilva set the goal up.

7:52pm Now 0-2. Brilliant take turn and finish from Tammy Abraham. The lads deserve to be more than 2 up. They've been good. In fact I've never seen Kyle Scott play better and Charlie Wakefield is on top of his game too. Many other good performances which could also be mentioned. Half-time.

9:00pm 1-5 United briefly and undeservedly pulled it back to 1-2, but an immediate third from Mason Mount, a beautiful chipped fourth from the outstanding Jay Dasilva and a tap in from Mukhtar Ali have made the score a more accurate reflection of the game. We've been miles better than them.

Full time. AFC Wimbledon away in the 5th round. If they play it at Kingstonian I'll be there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The lads progressed to the club's 7th successive Youth Cup semi-final last night. They beat Reading 2-1 in a bizarre but entertaining game at The Bridge.

We were quite poor for the opening 20 minutes during which Reading were definitely the better side but we gradually got into the game and, by the time we took the lead on about 35 minutes it had been coming. We looked to be cruising when we moved two up and seemed certain to add a 3rd but Reading pulled one back late to add a bit of tension. Their goal came following a penalty which they missed. The spot kick hit the bar and was eventually forced out for a corner from which they scored. That was the second of three missed penalties in the game. Tammy Abraham had had his effort well saved earlier and gave way to Mukhtar Ali to take our second as the game moved into six minutes of stoppage time. Ali's attempt was weak and easily saved down to his right by their keeper who was excellent on the night.

After we got over the slow start, it was once again Charlie Wakefield who stood out. I like this kid a lot. He isn't flash or extravagantly talented, he's just effective plain and simple. Charlie gets the ball and gives a simple pass or beats his man with a combination of pace and power. Not extreme pace, nor extreme power, but a potent combination of the two. He pushes the ball past his man and the next thing you know he's produced a dangerous delivery into the box, or he's off on a threatening run. I see Charlie as being in the same mould as James Milner. I know many don't rate Milner but I love him. He isn't fussy but he gets things done. Charlie is the same.

Charlie didn't play for the 19s in their UEFA Youth League game on Tuesday and I don't know if he's been named in the squad for that competition but if he was then we need to draft him into that side. The 18s have been playing 3-5-2 for a while now with Charlie as a very attacking right wing back. We're told that Antonio Conte is a big fan of our academy set up. When he watches video of the 18s he won't be able to help noticing Charlie. The younster obviously picked up a knock because he was subbed at half time. I don't think it can have been serious however.

We now face Blackburn in the two-legged semi.

• 3 weeks later...