The Mourinho Thread

Manchester United had ONE half-chance in the second half with the RVP shot from a very tight angle (was that even offside?). I'm sorry, but in my book, you can't blame the manager in such cases.

People on here sometimes make a lot of conclusions based on nothing more than assumptions. People talk as if it is a given that we would have scored a second goal had Oscar not come off. What makes you think that and not that United would have score two had Oscar not come off?

The massive spaces in the united defense were there from the beginning of the match and we could only score from a corner because of our bad decision making in the final third and slow transition.

Oscar was awful today deserved taking off but I don't think he was taken off because of his brutal play, had more to do with the midfielders having bookings and with the game going as it was someone was bound to get sent off.

Jose made the right choice had it come off, the same people chastising him would be applauding him for his high tactical acumen. Hypocrites... when it works you love him, the rare chance it doesn't you criticize.

Oscar was awful today deserved taking off but I don't think he was taken off because of his brutal play, had more to do with the midfielders having bookings and with the game going as it was someone was bound to get sent off.

Jose made the right choice had it come off, the same people chastising him would be applauding him for his high tactical acumen. Hypocrites... when it works you love him, the rare chance it doesn't you criticize.

Even more, had he not brought Mikel one and we went on to draw/lose the match a lot of people would be calling for his head for not closing the game down.

Although, personally, I think Cesc (who was also on a yellow) could have come off instead of Oscar who is obviously much better at chasing down players and pressing.

Drogba off- Schurrle on.

Willian off- Salah on.

Score the Second.

Then Bring Mikel.

OR

Put mikel on on the 75-80 minute- not 60.

Drogba off... Our best defensive forward off okay.

What all of you fail to understand is the circumstances that LED to the change. Oscar, Fab and Matic were on yellows. I bet most of you who say Mikel shouldn't have come on are the same people who said Willian should've come off against Aston Villa last year.

What a joke. We were tactical astute today, we lost two points on a bang bang play. bringing on misfiring Schurrle and Salah wouldn't have changed anything.

Just like the team against Palace last season, today Mourinho lacked balls. It happens. Time to move on, but he should know despite the mistake by Dowd sending Iva off, this is on him. You don't sit back when you're building a momentum. You capitalize and go for the kill. Funny he talks about Willian and Hazard needing to learn about going for the kill if he himself doesn't go. Today was the 6th time Mikel was introduced in an EPL match for us. Coward approach that disappoints me.

All in all, one point isn't that bad, but there's a bad taste in my mouth, about the two points lost and the approach Mourinho took when he brought Mikel (who was awful btw).

I expected more from Mou.

I think the mistake Mourinho is making is that he thinks this Chelsea is the same old Chelsea of a decade back.

That Chelsea defending a 1 to 0 game was easy.

This Chelsea it's hard.

In fact it happened many times last season when we was winning and conceded late goals.

This time we haven't need to do that because we been more attacking except for three games.

Schalke, City and United. And we all draw these 3

Mourinho said that this Chelsea has to have the ball more then the last Chelsea because of the players he has in Fabregas, Oscar and Hazard.

So I find it weird that he goes with defensive tactics when we need to have the ball......

Even more, had he not brought Mikel one and we went on to draw/lose the match a lot of people would be calling for his head for not closing the game down.

Although, personally, I think Cesc (who was also on a yellow) could have come off instead of Oscar who is obviously much better at chasing down players and pressing.

remember Aston Villa away last year? Willian's red?

jokers.

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/10/manchester-united-v-chelsea-post-match.html

Starting from the 20 mins mark, Gary Neville gives his thoughts on the change in mentality in the last 20 mins and the Mikel sub. I think he's spot on. It's not criticism, it's just asking the question. Either see the game out or kill off teams by scoring even more goals. This team is built to do the latter not the former.

Coward approach? Seriously?! I didn't see you complaining when Jose used this tactic in the other games. The fact that it didn't work today and that it was against United is probably the reason behind your rant. Honestly, it was just pure bad luck. Sure Jose could have pushed his team for a second goal but thats just not his way. We were away to United and he played safe because we had a lead and Jose wanted the 3 points. Mikel always ensured that but sadly today it didn't work because of that free kick at the end. So there is no point making him the scapegoat again.

Had Iva not been sent off,I am sure we would have won the game and everyone here would've been praising Jose.

I can understand your frustration because we dropped 2 precious points but come on, we both know that the manager is not at fault here.

He's the e who said he isn't a fundamentalist. Different matches require different approaches. After the goal they struggled defending. United had an improvised defense, but had Di Maria e van Persie attacking. You sit back, you invite them back to the game.

But if you think otherwise, good for you. I don't. We should have capitalized and searched a second goal instead of waiting them to attack us

Just like the team against Palace last season, today Mourinho lacked balls. It happens. Time to move on, but he should know despite the mistake by Dowd sending Iva off, this is on him. You don't sit back when you're building a momentum. You capitalize and go for the kill. Funny he talks about Willian and Hazard needing to learn about going for the kill if he himself doesn't go. Today was the 6th time Mikel was introduced in an EPL match for us. Coward approach that disappoints me.

All in all, one point isn't that bad, but there's a bad taste in my mouth, about the two points lost and the approach Mourinho took when he brought Mikel (who was awful btw).

I expected more from Mou.

Nailed it! Jose is a tactical genius & rightly gets the plaudits for it, however he now has to realize that throwing on a DM & a very poor one at that only hands the initiative to the losing side, City, Shalke & now Utd have cost us with the very same poor decision from jose.

Time for José to change the record.

The team probably practise defending 1-0 leads in training and do well at it but then again we are training on pitches that are the same size as Stamford Bridge (really small) whereas City and United have huge pitches, making parking the bus even more difficult. Hence going for a second would be the obvious and logical solution!

Nailed it! Jose is a tactical genius & rightly gets the plaudits for it, however he now has to realize that throwing on a DM & a very poor one at that only hands the initiative to the losing side, City, Shalke & now Utd have cost us with the very same poor decision from jose.

Time for José to change the record.

Mikel cost us the game.... Interesting theory here.

hahahhaha

He's the e who said he isn't a fundamentalist. Different matches require different approaches. After the goal they struggled defending. United had an improvised defense, but had Di Maria e van Persie attacking. You sit back, you invite them back to the game.

But if you think otherwise, good for you. I don't. We should have capitalized and searched a second goal instead of waiting them to attack us

I'm sure that has nothing to do with Utd. When you say struggle at what point did you shit your pants? was it when DiMaria crossed it from deep for the umpteenth time only to see it headed away by Cahill or Terry? Or was it the time Blind worked it to Fellaini and he struck it 5 yds clear of the net?

This myth about us inviting them on is a joke, they are good attacking players at home of course they're gonna generate chances(half chances at best) were they any less threatening in the first half with everything to play for?

You guys all looking for faults when they don't exist because you're bitter we dropped 2pts at OT. Quit your belly aching and get over it we're top of the league, Utd aren't exactly mugs this year.

You know, if you lead and then close down, you have to keep the lead to win. Simple as that. We couldnt do it twice now and I actualy wonder how many times will Mou try this.

If we kept those leads, we would have 4 more points and it would be tactical masterpiece. But we didnt and Mou is on fault to go this way, but also players because they didnt hold on.

To get such tactics, you need such team. We had such team in 2005. But now we have a team that can attack much better and I dont understand why Mou still relies on defensive tactics after leading. That got us last year several times and already got us twice against manchesters this year. Sure Mou can understand that, no?

But I have feeling he would never try to destroy United, even if given such chance. He would keep it down because of respect or whatever...

To be honest, I find it somewhat bewildering that people come in to moan about the same thing every time these things happen. It's like as if they don't even know what Mourinho is like with his thinking/approach in such situations.

Some people are really hard to please. Mourinho made defensive changes to try and see out the game but because we conceded with minutes left to go, people moan. Had Mourinho gone the other way and brought on attacking players to get the second goal but saw us concede, people will still moan and blame him for not closing the game when we already have the lead with minutes remaining.

Had we managed to see out the last few minutes at City and United, we would have claimed big wins in two of the toughest away matches and people would be praising Mourinho for his tactical genius. Fine margins.

To be honest, I find it somewhat bewildering that people come in to moan about the same thing every time these things happen. It's like as if they don't even know what Mourinho is like with his thinking/approach in such situations.

Some people are really hard to please. Mourinho made defensive changes to try and see out the game but because we conceded with minutes left to go, people moan. Had Mourinho gone the other way and brought on attacking players to get the second goal but saw us concede, people will still moan and blame him for not closing the game when we already have the lead with minutes remaining.

Had we managed to see out the last few minutes at City and United, we would have claimed big wins in two of the toughest away matches and people would be praising Mourinho for his tactical genius. Fine margins.

Mourinho's approach when taking the lead is excessively risky though - you're depending on the opposition not taking their chances and on the players/ref not making a mistake. I think most would prefer it if we dominated possession and looked for the second goal or at least completely take the sting out of the game. Perhaps sitting deep would be more understandable if we were looking to invite them on to us and play on the counter, but our counter attacking hasn't been great (poor decision making) and more often than not we just look to boot it back to them when we're 1-0 up. What's the logic behind inviting pressure like that?

Mourinho's approach when taking the lead is excessively risky though - you're depending on the opposition not taking their chances and on the players/ref not making a mistake. I think most would prefer it if we dominated possession and looked for the second goal or at least completely take the sting out of the game. Perhaps sitting deep would be more understandable if we were looking to invite them on to us and play on the counter, but our counter attacking hasn't been great (poor decision making) and more often than not we just look to boot it back to them when we're 1-0 up. What's the logic behind inviting pressure like that?

At what point in the match do you think we 'parked the bus'? I don't think it was at 65 when Mikel came on but I'd love to hear what you thought?

Both approaches are risky. To say one is more risky than the other is a bit nonsensical in my opinion. I don't deny that if you just defend, you're just one random chance or mistake by a player or the referee from conceding but why not point the finger at the players for making the mistakes at crucial moments? The manager can hardly be blamed for everything when things like this go wrong.

On the other hand, if we try to attack and get the second goal when we already have the 1-0 lead but concede. Then, where's the logic of making ourselves open to conceding? It's a catch 22 situation really.

At what point in the match do you think we 'parked the bus'? I don't think it was at 65 when Mikel came on but I'd love to hear what you thought?

I don't remember the exact time but I knew 'park the bus' mode was initiated when the defence just booted the ball back to them without even thinking of countering.

Both approaches are risky. To say one is more risky than the other is a bit nonsensical in my opinion. I don't deny that if you just defend, you're just one random chance or mistake by a player or the referee from conceding but why not point the finger at the players for making the mistakes at crucial moments? The manager can hardly be blamed for everything when things like this go wrong.

On the other hand, if we try to attack and get the second goal when we already have the 1-0 lead but concede. Then, where's the logic of making ourselves open to conceding? It's a catch 22 situation really.

I'm not suggesting we should go gung-ho but if we sit back then we should at least try to counter attack. Continuously giving the ball back to them and dropping deeper and deeper without even thinking of attacking is the most nonsensical approach yet one that we adopt a lot.