The Mourinho Thread

Remember what I said earlier today that United fans don't want Mourinho?

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/poll-added-would-you-want-jose-mourinho-as-the-next-manchester-united-manager.412540/

Yeah they don't want him. As I said, he does the complete opposite of what United wants.

One of their members described Mourinho perfectly, imo.

"He is pretty much the perfect man to get the job done i.e: get you a medal. He is the equivalent of a hitman really. Logic suggests therefore that if you need a trophy in the here and now, he is your number 1 candidate above pretty much everyone else. He is more proven than Pep and makes Ancelotti look like a newbie in the art of winning trophies and one bad season is not going to change that. The catch though is you have to abandon any notion of a style with him and by style I don't mean entertaining or attacking football or whatever. I simply mean an idea, a foundation that can be called upon for long term success which is again a bit like a hitman, he would come in, do the job with whatever means necessary and get it done."

This post by a dude called Theonas (1St post, page 5) sums Mou up perfectly:

He is pretty much the perfect man to get the job done i.e: get you a medal. He is the equivalent of a hitman really. Logic suggests therefore that if you need a trophy in the here and now, he is your number 1 candidate above pretty much everyone else.

He is more proven than Pep and makes Ancelotti look like a newbie in the art of winning trophies and one bad season is not going to change that. The catch though is you have to abandon any notion of a style with him and by style I don't mean entertaining or attacking football or whatever. I simply mean an idea, a foundation that can be called upon for long term success which is again a bit like a hitman, he would come in, do the job with whatever means necessary and get it done.

The question is therefore is are we desperate like that for a trophy, For me, it is a definite no! 2 years (very likely 3) without a trophy is nothing in the big scheme of things. Barcelona went 5 trophyless years, Juventus were in the second division and we ourselves went 3 years without a league title under Fergie and all those sides came back from that. So I think we still can afford more time in the hope of building and working on more long term views. This obviously has a limit and if it continues like this, there will be a point when going further trophyless will in fact jeopardize our status and finances like what happened to Liverpool at a certain point and to a lesser degree Arsenal. If it gets to that, Mourinho is ahead of everyone to save us. If not, he really offers nothing else and therefore should be as far away from the list of candidates as possible.

This post by a dude called Theonas (1St post, page 5) sums Mou up perfectly:

He is pretty much the perfect man to get the job done i.e: get you a medal. He is the equivalent of a hitman really. Logic suggests therefore that if you need a trophy in the here and now, he is your number 1 candidate above pretty much everyone else.

He is more proven than Pep and makes Ancelotti look like a newbie in the art of winning trophies and one bad season is not going to change that. The catch though is you have to abandon any notion of a style with him and by style I don't mean entertaining or attacking football or whatever. I simply mean an idea, a foundation that can be called upon for long term success which is again a bit like a hitman, he would come in, do the job with whatever means necessary and get it done.

The question is therefore is are we desperate like that for a trophy, For me, it is a definite no! 2 years (very likely 3) without a trophy is nothing in the big scheme of things. Barcelona went 5 trophyless years, Juventus were in the second division and we ourselves went 3 years without a league title under Fergie and all those sides came back from that. So I think we still can afford more time in the hope of building and working on more long term views. This obviously has a limit and if it continues like this, there will be a point when going further trophyless will in fact jeopardize our status and finances like what happened to Liverpool at a certain point and to a lesser degree Arsenal. If it gets to that, Mourinho is ahead of everyone to save us. If not, he really offers nothing else and therefore should be as far away from the list of candidates as possible.

Hey, hey get your own Man united fan quotes. I've got dibs on this one.

:D

Haha fucks sake - took ages to copy and paste on my phone - kept fucking up

Yea it's such a good quote it needs saying twice :)

Also at least I referenced the quote correctly :P :P :P:)

I should think there are Manure fans c/p Peace's posts as evidence for not getting him

Interesting read on the theory of 3+ year cycles of clubs and managers and their downfalls.

The author says some things that pretty much ring true with Mourinho and Chelsea

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2012/may/02/the-question-great-teams-end

Conversely, what happens if we appoint the next AVB and he fails to improve us at all? What if Mourinho goes to United (people keep deluding themselves into thinking he wouldn't go there) and makes them an unstoppable force again whilst City get Guardiola?

I'd reluctantly sack him if I was sure the future would be bright, but that would require us hiring Ancelotti/Pep/Klopp. Two of those are impossible and as of today the third looks impossible too. Every other candidate either has question marks (Hiddink, Emery, Conte etc) or are complete jokes like Juande Ramos.

I get that people want us to improve but we can't think just about the short term. What happens if next season and beyond we have to be going against a Pep led City, Mourinho led United, Wenger's Arsenal who finally look like legit contenders, a Klopp led Liverpool who will grow leaps and bounds, and now even Spuds are getting it together under Poch? We could be completely left behind and set back for years.

I myself was one of the "José out" guys after this latest result but if we're thinking about appointing one of these clown candidates then I'd rather just stick with him and give him total authority to change the squad over the next two windows.

The problem is, even if Jose goes United and wins them the league, doesn't mean letting him go here was wrong.

Were playing awful and not getting any better, we are 16th, the only thing that's keeping me clinging on at the minute is Wenger had a similar bad run in 2011 (4 wins in 18) but luckily for him and Arsenal that run was spread over the end of 10/11 and start of 11/12, whereas our bad run is in one season, funnily enough Sunderland at home ended the rot for Arsenal, maybe it will for us aswell.

But what will Jose staying now achieve? In his previous jobs his lack of long termism was justfied by the fact he djdnt want to stay long term, he always wanted to do the European tour then settle down, now he's at the job he said he wants for the rest of his career and the good moment has lasted even shorter. The one thing I always believed about Mourinho is that if we are in a rut he would quickly find a way out of it, and he hasn't.

He will go elsewhere and make an immediate impact, that's his strength, want instant success and Jose is you're man, that will guarantee him top level jobs for the rest of his career, but its all broken here, the only way we are going to feel the best moments of Jose again is if we overall two thirds of the squad which isn't practical or have him back for a third spell before he retires.

The latter sounds tempting but for now, the best thing for Chelsea and Jose is to part company, there will be alternatives out there, but right now anything other than Jose is worth trying because his second spell here is broken and not getting any better.

Diego Simeone? We aren't changing the tactical aspect then, it's only the man-management, a slight plus.

The word is Simeone has grave concerns about our squad and wants massive changes if he was ever to come here.

So if he is going to be like Mourinho without the loyalty to underperforming players (never thought id ever say that line about Jose) then that suits me down to the ground.

The word is Simeone has grave concerns about our squad and wants massive changes if he was ever to come here.

So if he is going to be like Mourinho without the loyalty to underperforming players (never thought id ever say that line about Jose) then that suits me down to the ground.

Didn't Courtois say something along the lines of Simeone and Mourinho being similar but the Atletico coach is more defensive minded?

Good grief....didn't realise that was possible

Conversely, what happens if we appoint the next AVB and he fails to improve us at all? What if Mourinho goes to United (people keep deluding themselves into thinking he wouldn't go there) and makes them an unstoppable force again whilst City get Guardiola?

I'd reluctantly sack him if I was sure the future would be bright, but that would require us hiring Ancelotti/Pep/Klopp. Two of those are impossible and as of today the third looks impossible too. Every other candidate either has question marks (Hiddink, Emery, Conte etc) or are complete jokes like Juande Ramos.

I get that people want us to improve but we can't think just about the short term. What happens if next season and beyond we have to be going against a Pep led City, Mourinho led United, Wenger's Arsenal who finally look like legit contenders, a Klopp led Liverpool who will grow leaps and bounds, and now even Spuds are getting it together under Poch? We could be completely left behind and set back for years.

I myself was one of the "José out" guys

after this latest result but if we're thinking about appointing one of these clown candidates then I'd rather just stick with him and give him total authority to change the squad over the next two windows.

in that case, we should not sell jose even if we get relegated, right? cos no one else has a CV like his. what was luis enrique's CV before he joined barca? the only clown candidate is jose mourinho himself. any half decent manager in the world would be having us walking the PL. we dont have an identity, we dont have any youth integration despite hving the best youth talents in the world, and we are 16th in PL with 15 points in 16 games.

tell me on what basis do you think that jose is a better candidate to take us forward than these "clown candidates"? please give me your arguments. also, if jose is leading united next season then i will be happy cos i will know united will be a circus. yes, they will win 1 title in his firt 2 years but after that, he will tear the club down from the inside. talents like jones, smalling, martial, shaw etc etc will be DESTROYED. players like lingard who are looking so good, will suddenly not be "ready" for first team action. i am sorry but people keep giving the "it could be worse" argument, but they need to answer how it will get better under jose.

its not people who are jst thinking about short term. its our fucking manager who is doing that.

selling future stars like kdb, lukaku, selling some very good players like bertrand and mata and replacing them with cesc and luis.

Didn't Courtois say something along the lines of Simeone and Mourinho being similar but the Atletico coach is more defensive minded?

Good grief....didn't realise that was possible

ATM is a very good attacking unit. watch them play. yes, they have the tendency to close shop at 1-0 and go on the counter after that, but look at them play and try to open up defenses which is generally very good and a lot of it is down to their attacking ploys.