Chelsea 2-2 PSG

Jase

Man of the Match  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

I blame Mourinho and his tactics :)

They had 10 men for 90 minutes and they didn't look tired at the end of the game .. this is joke, right? They probably had more posession and when Chelsea had the ball all the movement was too slow. No one touch passes, no fast changes from one wing to another to move PSG defenders up and down. Every player made around 5 touches before he passed the ball forward and their defence was just sitting and waiting on the edge of the penalty box. No real passion for 2 or 3 goals to score, no high pressure to get the ball back quickly and to force them to play quicker ... this defensive approach is annoying to watch and even with 10 men they looked better team and I was just nervous when we will concede rather than watching us attack and score 3 goals :)

First sub was logical - Oscar on yellow and with warning, Willian comes on. But what was Mourinho thinking with Zouma and Drogba? I am not sure really .. Matić was injured yes but we already had Ramires as a DM on the pitch, he could easily brought Cuadrado IN ... and Drogba just because he is legend and had his birthday? We nedeed speed and he brought static player on ... we could destroyed them but NO, let's play defensive football.

Mourinho show us some balls .. you talk too much :)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A result like this has been coming. Although I have applauded Jose's tactics in similar 'big games' whereby we somehow seem to get the first goal and then are able to hang onto the lead, his tactics of sitting off and letting the opposition have the ball were eventually going to come back to haunt us.

Examples this season are: City away where we were ahead, 1-0 up and City had 10 men. Liverpool in the Carling Cup where we went 1-0 up and then sat off them which ended 1-1 but could have been worse. Man United where we were 1-0 and then sat back. Tottenham where we went in front and then sat back (fortunately we won).

In certain matches I can understand sitting off the opposition and letting them attempt to play through us (e.g. first leg games away from home), however, I just can't see how Jose can justify playing the way he did against PSG last night, particularly when they went down to 10 men and we had the lead twice.

It has to go down as one of the worst performances I've seen. Particularly considering we were the better team on paper, were in the lead twice, were at SB and were playing against 10 men for ~90 minutes.

Sat here in the office drinking coffee and reading through this forum is brilliant....We get knocked out and people want Mourinho sacked and then transfer section goes off it's tits :lol: :lol:

José is not going to get sacked, and he'll be here next season (if he wins the league ofc). But i don't want him to stay here for another 10 years with that ideology of football. Results come first ofcourse, but last night id rather have it that we lose 0-3 while playing some kind of attacking football. It doesn't have to be possession based, but there are different alternatives (biggest example is Real Madrid last year).

A result like this has been coming. Although I have applauded Jose's tactics in similar 'big games' whereby we somehow seem to get the first goal and then are able to hang onto the lead, his tactics of sitting off and letting the opposition have the ball were eventually going to come back to haunt us.

Examples this season are: City away where we were ahead, 1-0 up and City had 10 men. Liverpool in the Carling Cup where we went 1-0 up and then sat off them which ended 1-1 but could have been worse. Man United where we were 1-0 and then sat back. Tottenham where we went in front and then sat back (fortunately we won).

In certain matches I can understand sitting off the opposition and letting them attempt to play through us (e.g. first leg games away from home), however, I just can't see how Jose can justify playing the way he did against PSG last night, particularly when they went down to 10 men and we had the lead twice.

It has to go down as one of the worst performances I've seen. Particularly considering we were the better team on paper, were in the lead twice, were at SB and were playing against 10 men for ~90 minutes.

We have a very good squad (thin maybe), but with the players we have we should dominate most PL big teams bar City.

José is not going to get sacked, and he'll be here next season (if he wins the league ofc). But i don't want him to stay here for another 10 years with that ideology of football. Results come first ofcourse, but last night id rather have it that we lose 0-3 while playing some kind of attacking football. It doesn't have to be possession based, but there are different alternatives (biggest example is Real Madrid last year).

Football ideology? :lol: That's not a thing. Even football philosophy is stretching it, but ideology is just meaningless. Wanting to lose 3-0 while playing "attacking football" instead of coming close to qualifying is not an 'ideology' it's insanity that defies the very purpose of football and sports in general.

I'll be the first to tell you that Jose got it wrong yesterday and our approach was dreadful after the sending off, but this "I'd rather lose 3-0 and attack" is the biggest pile of silly nonsense that some 'hipsters' have got football fans believing in just to achieve some fake moral victory.

I'm not that bothered to be honest - our main focus is now the league and we have no further distractions

The team is obviously not where Jose wants it - so let's try and win the league and see what the summer brings

The knee jerk reactions are crazy

Yes, Ramires is a bad passer, yes OSCAR has been shit for a while - why are you all acting surprised?

This team has still achieved more than last season - so it's progress! Football ain't easy - progress is to be applauded.

You can blame the manager as much as you want - but the players have to shoulder the blame just as much. Some nights you can't win regardless of your team, that's life - deal with it and move on.

Onwards and upwards and there's always next season!

That's how many big games we have either drawn or lost this season cityx2, United,Liverpool COC X2 (minus extra time),PSGx2,Spurs. analyzing these games, there's one common denomination which is the tactics we deployed in each of these games which reflects badly on the manager because only an insane person does the same thing over and over again and expects a different result.

We have drawn so many games with the same cautious, slow to non existent pressing and negative style this season, why did Jose think the result would be different this time. Any other top European team would have had PSG on the ropes all night after Zlatan was sent off instead we played the game with low intensity and cautiousness. This is on the manager for not learning from his mistakes or too one dimensional to change his approach.

Still bitterly disappointed and feeling furious about the result and performance. To be knocked out of the competition is one thing but to be knocked out without even putting an effort, making the opposition earn it is absolutely despicable. The fact that the players displayed more energy and hunger in fighting with the PSG players rather than taking the game to them says it all.

Forget all the nonsense about parking the bus, playing defensive bullshit etc. It's such a lazy excuse and cliche to use when we play badly in one of the these big games. The main thing is, did we even actually have a plan on how to play the second leg? It's like after getting a 1-1 draw in the first leg, we had no idea whether to go for the kill or sit back and hit them on the break. In the end, we did neither and looked absolutely clueless and hopeless at both ends.

Hardly created any chance all game and the Ramires shot in the 80th minute (or so) was the only notable chance. Defensively, we were getting passed around like nobody's business and at times even allowed PSG to go all the way into our box without any challenge. Absolutely farcical.

What's worse is that, we had a FULL week to prepare for this game and that was what we came up with?! Just what on earth did we do in training? Both Mourinho and the players are completely at fault here. The former for coming up with a plan that got us nowhere. Didn't even change anything before and especially after the red card. The players for their spineless performance. No doubt the manager is responsible to fire them up before a game but if they can't even motivate themselves for a Champions League match, then they've got issues. It's infuriating that we did nothing in the entire 120 minutes and were almost waiting for PSG to 'hit us in the face'.

If we don't win the Premier League come May, then this season would be a complete failure!

the though of football's going to make me sick until march 15th...hopefully we take it all out on southampton

Doubt it, we're probably gonna draw after playing ridiculously poor and score from either a penalty from Hazard or one of our defenders is gonna score from a set piece.

We've lost the fucking plot. All of that talk of Cesc being the saviour and revolutionizing our midfield from a slow and lack lustre team has vanished. We're back to the same team that plays sideways and takes 3/4 touches between every pass.

It seems like all we do is moan about this 'Campaign Against Chelsea' (I'll admit, after the Burnley game... I was too) and whenever we play piss poor or the slightest thing goes wrong, we all jump on the bandwagon and use that to escape the fact that we played like fucking pussys!

Also, where are our goalscorers? Costa can't bloody buy a goal cuz all he does is gets into spats with the opposition and tries to play as a left winger. When was the last time he was on the end of a cross? When was the last time he outjumped a defender in the box and almost scored a header? WHEN THE FUCK WAS THE LAST TIME HE SCORED?? His link up play is shocking. Always takes an unnecessary # of touches before laying the ball off. The minute Drogba came on he started playing one-twos with Hazard.. Something Diego NEVER does. He's a warrior and he's tough as nails but wtf? Focus on your job for once. Score a bloody goal. Maybe I'm being harsh but he has been awful since the turn of the year. Needs to fix up big time!!

Next, Jose. I don't know what has gone wrong but he seems to have lost the plot. He usually prides himself off his ruthless nature. Getting his team up for it and prepared for big games. But last night, he was a pussy. Yes he was not on the pitch but the fact that it seemed like he wanted our players to play for a 0-0 against 10 men at home.... And that fact that we believe that could happen because that is a Mourinho thing to do, just shows how fucking bullocks his tactics are at times.

Our team looked like the finished article a few months ago. But yet, we can't show up to a big game and dominate a team. We went to Anfield in the Carling and went with a defensive line-up because we wanted to get out of there unscathed and go on to SB and win there. Yes, this all went to plan but that just shows how much of a pussy Jose is. His philosophy is to simply park the bus whenever we see a big club. Play negative afff whenever we have difficult opponents. I thought this only occurred when we played away from home but apparently this also applies when we play against 10 men at home too...

Well done lads, you've completely fucked this one up.

Yesterday's match was brazil vs brazil.

So many fouls and agressive play, it was fantatstic, haha.

However, the loss can only fall down on Jose and his tactics. Oscar managed to get zlatan send off and should of been easy from there, but, Jose and his negative tactics really allowed for this to happened. Also, if you look at both legs, PSG was the better team.

Better luck next season I guess.

Oscar, Willian and Ramires will be lucky if they are here next season IMO, attacking-wise all three are very limited and offer absolutely nothing. How many times in the first half did Oscar mess up a counter attack? it happens far too often, he either loses control of the ball or misplaces a pass. Two seasons in a row now where he's had a good first couple of months than slowly goes off the boil, no more excuses anymore. Willian works hard defensively but thats just it, when he's on the right he hardly ever beats his man, instead just stops for 2-3 seconds and easily passes it back to Ivan, £32 million for someone who runs around a lot is a joke. Ramires again is so poor in the final third, messes up every chance he gets with a heavy touch or a bad pass.

I've been wanting to say that for a while so it's definitely not a knee-jerk, now onto the game last night. Abysmal. simple as that, we actually got outplayed by 10 men and thats unforgivable. Where's our early season football? Jose was far too negative and the players looked physically nervous and unsure, it was just poor from everyone involved. PSG deserved to go through, they were excellent and played with the sort of passion, hunger and desire we used to have in those massive CL nights.

well to say Mourinho has to be sacked is probably the worst thing to do in this situation right now. And true fans won't say that of course. But I have to say I'm very disappointed with Mourinho. We had a whole week to prepare, seems like the team didnt use it. To play the way we did yesterday against a 10-men PSG side is just horrible. There was no passion but enough energy to discuss every foul with the players and the ref. I'm so sad right now. I really love Mourinho for what he did for us but I'm not sure if he is the right manager for Chelsea anymore.

Results come first lads.

Still, I don't understand the complaints. We play good football week after week, it was only last night that José was far too cautious. But I'm sure he knows where he went wrong ;)

Now don't you tell me winning the PL and the COC isn't a great season...!

#JoséForLife #OneOfUs

how can we move our players forward without exposing our cbs who are very slow?

It's all connected - if the attackers move up without the defense line following suit, we incur into the same problem: too much distance between the lines which makes difficult keeping possession.

Our current crop of players work well in this system. Not sure it's actually possible to change it without changing the players.

That's not the issue at all, we were up a man and needed a goal if there was ever a time to get men forward its then. And aside from that, that wasn't the problem either. I was upset that we changed systems from 4231 to 433 and allowed them to have possession without being under any sort of pressure or threat. If we're up a man we should've been in control of the possession and utilized the extra man (Azpi?) in attacking situations to recycle possession and knock it about.