Chelsea 2-2 PSG

Jase

Man of the Match  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

well of course winning the Capital One Cup is great!! but the Premier League isn't won yet and we're out of the CL. And it wasn't the only bad performance we did. We struggled against many teams like City or West Ham, its just a bad period at the moment.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A result like this has been coming. Although I have applauded Jose's tactics in similar 'big games' whereby we somehow seem to get the first goal and then are able to hang onto the lead, his tactics of sitting off and letting the opposition have the ball were eventually going to come back to haunt us.

Examples this season are: City away where we were ahead, 1-0 up and City had 10 men. Liverpool in the Carling Cup where we went 1-0 up and then sat off them which ended 1-1 but could have been worse. Man United where we were 1-0 and then sat back. Tottenham where we went in front and then sat back (fortunately we won).

In certain matches I can understand sitting off the opposition and letting them attempt to play through us (e.g. first leg games away from home), however, I just can't see how Jose can justify playing the way he did against PSG last night, particularly when they went down to 10 men and we had the lead twice.

It has to go down as one of the worst performances I've seen. Particularly considering we were the better team on paper, were in the lead twice, were at SB and were playing against 10 men for ~90 minutes.

Exactly the time to sit off was when we had a two goal cushion, not when the game is on a knife edge and a goal puts us out.

Results come first lads.

Still, I don't understand the complaints. We play good football week after week, it was only last night that José was far too cautious. But I'm sure he knows where he went wrong ;)

Now don't you tell me winning the PL and the COC isn't a great season...!

#JoséForLife #OneOfUs

You're taking the piss, right?

José is not going to get sacked, and he'll be here next season (if he wins the league ofc). But i don't want him to stay here for another 10 years with that ideology of football. Results come first ofcourse, but last night id rather have it that we lose 0-3 while playing some kind of attacking football. It doesn't have to be possession based, but there are different alternatives (biggest example is Real Madrid last year).

Madrid played on the counter last season...

My 2 cents:

Really really disappointed to go out in those circumstances. I am a fan of Mourinho but he got his tactics completely wrong last night. Essentially playing for a 0-0 at home against 10 men, I cannot accept that. I am happy for us to be defensive and play tight away from home in the first leg, but against 10 men at home for 60 minutes, just go and win the game!! At least try!! It seems Mou does not have this domination tactic in his locker. We can counter well but struggle when we need to take the initiative. We must change that or we'll never be an elite team. Even when we attacked we looked completely sterile as has been the case alot recently.

For those tactics alone, we deserved to go out. PSG were excellent, you would not know they had 10 men and they thoroughly deserved to go through.

We had a favourable ref decision or two, 11vs10, 1-0 up, 2-1 up and still could not go through. A deserved and slightly humiliating exit.

We really need to beat Southampton now and go and win this league now....

I just wonder if its down to fatigue? Everyone except Oscar looked to be playing the game at half speed.

Well then you are a follower of -yesterday's- Mourinho system.

Don't forget that for 105 minutes out of the total of 120 it was working and we were ahead.

But I 'm against attack for the sake of possession, especially when things are on balance. That way we score one goal every six months.

Also some think of PSG as some sort of Burnley who normally cannot string two passes. They 're not and we had to score goals to be on the safe side. Otherwise the ball decides (and the ball is a pr*stitute).

But ultimately it didn't work, right? because we invited too much pressure onto a side that looked tired and couldn't cope with it.

I think that first 30 minutes were actually good from what I've expected. We pressed pretty well, have a couple of half-chances, which could result in big chances if they weren't completely ruined by back ward passes. It went along the plane. But red card changed the game. We were expected to be on the front foot, to have more of the ball. We weren't ready for that. We are shit in this, you know. We hadn't scored yet against decent opposition from positional attack. Jose really should have brought offensive substitution, Filipe Luis or Cuadrado. And he didn't so we hit the wall with our heads with this set-up.

And Jose waited and waited for an offensive change. And waited ... Jeez, yes he brought Willian but because Oscar was on a yellow already. And I think that should tell you the story - he was ultra careful with his approach. And that back-fired. We again were lucky, scored a goal out of nothing, yet again after rebound-set piece combo. But it was inevitable that PSG will have a chance and they took it. If not David Luiz another chance would come. That's the conclusion from many matches we played.

We were toothless in counter-attack, toothless in possession. The way we set-up demands our players to be super efficient when the chance arrives. It means that you have to have world-class individuals. It's not surprise that no matter of what, Hazard always looks brilliant. But how many Hazards can we have in our team ? It would be fantastic if we had 2.

Many players disappointed but I am disappointed that Mourinho didn't have a reaction. Fabregas was strolling, why not bringing Cuadrado into play ? Why not Filipe to run on them with pressing ? It is not surprise that we had chances in the first half of extra time when we went 2 up top. Mourinho 2 years ago vs United at Old Trafford when Nani was sent off, reacted immediately and brought Modric on which paid dividends within minutes. Why so careful this time ? Unlucky to us, we would have the reaction if we were behind.

There's many questions to be answered but they are not from yesterday. Liverpool could have done us at the Bridge in the League Cup but we have that luck with their chances. We had that luck yesterday, scoring two goals out of nothing without deserving any, but we were short on luck at the opposite end. We can't rely that we'll be so lucky every time. The truth is Man City away, West Ham, Spurs, both legs vs Liverpool, PSG away there were games with exactly the same pattern, that we could easily lost if not lucky coincidence, own goals, fantastic saves, Cahill back flicks, rebounds, set pieces etc. AN ISOLATED SITUATION, taken completely out of context of the match.

It still weird that referee was on our side yesterday and we still are going out. That's why I'm very relaxed by this one. Never ever was, because ref often screw us up, not this time. We weren't ready for Europe, I'm sure of that.

About PSG, their fans were brilliant. Completely out-sung ours at the Bridge. Good for them that they had the courage to trust a youngster from an Academy to help them qualify when they were in the dire need of the goal. Mourinho would never done that. But I don't think they're that good. I wish them luck and would want Ibra to finally lift this Champions League. I don't even have other team who I would wish good now. But their chances to win this are slim. They're not great side, Bayern would do them. In fact, Bayern, Barca and Real in full pomp would do us badly.

To wrap up, let this group finish this season with title and answer those questions in the summer. There are many. But Mourinho will do that if he will have enough support from the board. He already done similar in 2009 with Inter after he went out of Europe in the last 16 against United. He sat down with the boss, analysed the situation where they need to strength and he bought 5 crucial players who helped him win the treble. Let him emulate that. We look bad at this time, whenever we win, draw or lose, against any decent side. But I know Mourinho has abilities to change this side and set this machine to have intensity, effective pressing and be deadly on counter attack with swift ball movements. Let's trust him to do that.

But now I'm slightly nervous. We haven't got other competition to play for. Every game is a final like they say. Can this squad handle it ? How many times we are lucky to grind out result ? I hope that Mourinho set his side very offensive against Southampton to give a positive signal. Not to glide through the match but to really face them and beat them with courage.

Results come first lads.

Still, I don't understand the complaints. We play good football week after week, it was only last night that José was far too cautious. But I'm sure he knows where he went wrong ;)

Now don't you tell me winning the PL and the COC isn't a great season...!

#JoséForLife #OneOfUs

I'm sorry but we've been bad for the last few months imo, our first half of the season we played really good but our second half isn't good at all so far.

Away goals rule should be scrapped for extra time. Unfair one team gets 30 more minutes to score that killer goal.

I don't entirely disagree, but that is balanced by one team getting an extra 30 minutes with home advantage, no?

I understand the frustration after last night, but I think we have been pretty poor on the ball all season compared to the other top 5/6 teams in Europe.I dont know if it comes from Joses` "negative" tactics or the lack of understanding between the lads. The last few seasons we made a lot of changes and we lack a leader in midfield. Not only on the pitch, but off it. Someone like Lamps(even in his early years), who welcomed the new guys and helped them develop.We need someone to step up and be 100% confident in himself and in the team.

I watched the game in a pub yesterday. Mostly full of Real or Barca fans (yea, these kind of fans). When Silva scored i saw one "die hard" Barca fan jumpin up and down and almost crying when he scored. Rest of the pub was celebrating like they found Jesus.

After some browsing today it turns out that not only them but almost all football "fans" celebrated Chelsea losing...... Not Paris winning but Chelsea losing.

The hate is real. Cunts.