Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Cole is still the best left back in the world. The split should be 2/1 for every 3 games, in favour of Ashley; gradually by January 2014 moving to 50-50, and by July 2014, Bertrand should be ready.

I have to say though, Ryan is lightning quick. Deceptively quick as well, I never thought he had this much speed in him.

I don't think it should be so definite. As long as Bertrand gets 10 or so starts and makes another 15-20 sub appearances, it is progression.

My comment was actually more about Cole. Remember when AVB played him every single match last season? By Christmas he was our worst defender because he was simply too tired. Yes he managed amazing performances in the cups, but in the league he looked too tired to be bothered.

i used to think PVA and Bertrand would have real tough battle for replacing A cole,, now its just a no brainer, :cry: they just grow up so fast.

It was never a contest, i saw a lot of Bertrand in his Reading days and it was clear even then he was better than PVA.

We just got a bit excited because of PVA's flair and goals, in terms of defending, it was never a contest.

Having said that we will need back up/competition to Ryan when Cole leaves, which is where PVA might come back in.

It was never a contest, i saw a lot of Bertrand in his Reading days and it was clear even then he was better than PVA.

We just got a bit excited because of PVA's flair and goals, in terms of defending, it was never a contest.

Having said that we will need back up/competition to Ryan when Cole leaves, which is where PVA might come back in.

Deeh-Conteh > PVA

Anyone know how he's doing? He was class in the youth cups but when he moved up to reserves I never got to watch much of him.

My comment was actually more about Cole. Remember when AVB played him every single match last season? By Christmas he was our worst defender because he was simply too tired. Yes he managed amazing performances in the cups, but in the league he looked too tired to be bothered.

I wish older players could recognise that rotation and resting could PROLONG their careers and their earnings. Even someone as intelligent

as Lampard doesnt seem to have grasped what Giggs and Scholes have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19286776

Good head on him, and he seems to be thinking along the same lines I am - having played 15 games last season, 20-25 will be good progress this season, particularly as he continues to be trusted more in bigger, more important games.

We will also see the best of Ashley Cole this way, as we cannot continue to expect him to play 2-3 games a week. We no longer need to expect now.

Oh boy, he really is something. Not only great defensively but also showing glimpses of trickery and huge pace. Legend in the making both on the wing and as left-back. I remember saying to my friends that no other team can match our left side when Malouda was firing goals for fun, but now if he continues to shine his understanding with Cole might prove vital. He's pretty soon going on my shirt! Also great for him for his down to earth attitude. Keep doing great and good things will happen, son.