Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Yes, great possible deputy/replacement for ash, but let's not get carried away. He had a decent game in the final... not "amazing" in a position which he shouldn't be played in unless it's a total emergency situation (which it was). I really doubt he could have put in a performance that ash did if ryan had started at left back in the game. But hey... this kid can only get better.

• 1 month later...

He's been waiting for so long to prove himself, now he starts (and wins) a CL final AND plays in the Olympic team. Fully deserved, and hopefully, his story gives some hope to some of our other youngsters.

Bertrand > Gibbs. Let's hope he's first choice for Team GB as well.

Pleased for the lad but our pre-season squad seems to be getting thinner as each week passes!

Id rather that happens this season than next as we might be in with a title shout the season after the one coming up.

Chelsea will reject a bid from Aston Villa for promising left-back Ryan Bertrand - and offer the youngster a bumper new deal.

http://www.dailymail...n-Bertrand.html

HA! Villa or anyone else for that matter can dream about getting Bertrand!

Regarding Bertrand, another contract for him? That doesn't make any sense.

Regarding Bertrand, another contract for him? That doesn't make any sense.

Last year he got a new contract along with Josh but that was only to secure contracts for a couple promising youngsters. Bertrand has progressed a lot since and taken his place in the first team squad so why wouldn't he deserve a pay raise to get him even a little bit closer to the rest of the team financially? Obviously he already earns a shitload of money us fans could only dream about but I think it's only fair he gets somewhat the same as other players who are of a similar squad status.

Youngsters Tomas Kalas and Patrick van Aanholt have today completed their loan deals returning them to Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem for the duration of the 2012/13 campaign.

Both players were temporarily with the Eredivisie side last term. Czech Under 21 international Kalas 19, made 29 league appearances over the course of the season, while Dutchman Van Aanholt, 21, scored once in nine games having also spent time with Wigan Athletic during late 2011.

Before departing for Holland, Kalas also signed a contract extension with Chelsea committing him to the club until the summer of 2017.

Source: Chelsea FC

He gave an interview on a local broadcast. Here are some quotes:

Kalas: "Everybody at Chelsea recognised me. Something I really didn't expect. The level of training was very high, which I benefited from"

Kalas: "But I don't want to just train, I wanna play games as well. That's why I'm here at Vitesse."

He also said that a lot has changed in the summer at Vitesse with the arrival of a new coach but they hope to perform even better.

• 2 weeks later...