Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Look what a beast Chelsea have. I wonder if he is terminally ill or it is something that can be repaired. After all he is still young and had no major injury so there's a hope that he recovers after restart. Personally would keep him ahead of Mikel simply because the heights he may achieve.

It's between him and Fabregas; one of them has to go in the summer, even if we change our standard formation. Having two relatively immobile players occupying starting positions in the centre of the pitch simply doesn't work unless the team is packed full of players with top-tier technique and possession-play (e.g. Guardiola's Barcelona with Xavi and Busquets). Ideally we wouldn't have to sell either of them, but I can't see the player that loses-out being content with a squad role next season.

Whoever we keep will need to be paired with a player who possesses a combination of decent pace, physicality, and technique; it could be very difficult for us to acquire such a player in the summer given our current situation, but we must make every effort to do so as CM is the weakest area of our squad (being the primary reason that we find it so difficult to play more proactively). 

This guy is just completely useless for a whole year. I was a big fan of him in 2014, but in 2015 his limits and weaknesses (weak right foot, one dimensional, bad stamina for a cm etc.) got exposed. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't even care anymore. Don't understand why RLC isn't ahead of him in the pecking order he can't be worse than Nemanja.

If we are able to get a very good dm I wouldn't be totally against the idea to sell him to say the least.

He's lost his tackling, he's so slow on the turn, once you get close to his left foot he panics, he can't dribble once you mark his left side and he isn't a good passer. 

Either his weaknesses have increased dramatically or have been massively exposed. 

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

He's lost his tackling, he's so slow on the turn, once you get close to his left foot he panics, he can't dribble once you mark his left side and he isn't a good passer. 

Either his weaknesses have increased dramatically or have been massively exposed. 

He has never looked good or world class ever since that leg breaker challenge from Barnes back in 2015.

If we can sell him for around 25m+ I'd take that price any day of the week. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

6 minutes ago, AWorriedChelseaFan said:

He has never looked good or world class ever since that leg breaker challenge from Barnes back in 2015.

Care to refresh my memory? Was he injured?

He used to be one of the best tacklers and game breakers last season, he truly bossed his role. Hence "the spider" nickname. Now he's late to most of the situations where he should be before they happen. He's lost tactically and probably has a demon at the back of his mind telling him he's not good enough.

7 minutes ago, manpe said:

He used to be one of the best tacklers and game breakers last season, he truly bossed his role. Hence "the spider" nickname. Now he's late to most of the situations where he should be before they happen. He's lost tactically and probably has a demon at the back of his mind telling him he's not good enough.

As far as I remember, he was not injured, but he got sent off.

43 minutes ago, AWorriedChelseaFan said:

If we can sell him for around 25m+ I'd take that price any day of the week. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I remember when I used to curse fabregas earlier in the season, but my brother who isn't a Chelsea fan told me that fabregas was not the problem in our midfield because he was never a good tackler. He said Matic was the cause of our midfield woes because he wasn't making as much effort into stopping attacks as he used to do last season. It took me long to see it but its really obvious now. 

2 hours ago, manpe said:

Nope, he didn't get injured from the leg breaker challenge. But he did get himself sent off, lost his cool and pushed Barnes straight to the ground :lol:

Matic has never looked the same player again after this incident, always so nervous on the ball. Scared to throw legs to challenge attackers/midfielders for the ball etc....

5 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

Amazing to think Barnes never faced any retrospective punishment, like Matic was meant to let his leg get broken :lol: 

One of the things I loved about Jose was how he always furiously defended his players in unjust situations like that. 

7 hours ago, manpe said:

One of the things I loved about Jose was how he always furiously defended his players in unjust situations like that. 

Yeah it just fell on deaf ears in the end, unhelped by his constant other barages. His rants, to an extent, has valid points but the way he presented them was counteractive. Shame.