Nemanja Matic

.Cee

A legitimate question..

Why do we play this big clown in midfield instead of Loftus-Cheek? I'd seriously like to know!

Matic is one of those players that I'd just like to say, "if you can't perform 100% in every game you play, just leave!"

3 minutes ago, chrismada9 said:

A legitimate question..

Why do we play this big clown in midfield instead of Loftus-Cheek? I'd seriously like to know!

Matic is one of those players that I'd just like to say, "if you can't perform 100% in every game you play, just leave!"

To use the quote you would probably hear from Hiddink or whoever on RLC..

"He's a boy, he's learning and is not quite ready"

Dated outlook, fucking idiotic it is.

13 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

To use the quote you would probably hear from Hiddink or whoever on RLC..

"He's a boy, he's learning and is not quite ready"

Dated outlook, fucking idiotic it is.

Oh he's only learning? Fair enough... I guess that's why he was our best performer out there against MK Dons then? 

It's not Hiddink's fault, it's the board's for putting the club in this pit of shit!

On 04/02/2016 at 10:10 AM, chrismada9 said:

... I guess that's why he [RLC] was our best performer out there against MK Dons then?

In matters of opinion of course there is no right and wrong. If that's what you say you saw then that's what you saw but I'd be completely shocked if many Chelsea fans agreed with you. Ruben was nowhere near our best player vs the Dons.

4 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

In matters of opinion of course there is no right and wrong. If that's what you say you saw then that is what you saw but I'd be completely shocked is many Chelsea fans agreed with you. Ruben was nowhere near our best player vs the Dons.

I agree he wasn't, but also wasn't as poor as say Ivanovic has been in the past. Yet where do you draw the line in terms of constantly playing shocking and starting every week to playing decent and then been sent back to the bench?

It's a travesty that how bad we have been yet certain players are still used to packing the bench no matter what the outcome.

we're really learning which players can/can't motivate themselves here, and those that can't gotta go. our whole quality since Roman arrived has been the fact our players always had grit and determination at times when other teams would look to their manager and ask "what now?". there was no need, because the answer was always "You're a Chelsea player, you support Chelsea, so make sure Chelsea win." the mentality that Matic has suggests we were a one-night stand whom he said a lot of pretty things to to get into bed. we never should have gone back to him, it never works out with ex's.

5 minutes ago, Gilvorak said:

He's been our worst player this season

I disagree, his Serbian compatriot has been worse. At least Matic managed to have one monstrous performance against Kiev and a few decent ones, the best Ivanovic has managed to do is ~6/10. But it's no excuse, they're both crap and I can understand why you say that.

2 hours ago, Special Juan said:

I agree he wasn't, but also wasn't as poor as say Ivanovic has been in the past. Yet where do you draw the line in terms of constantly playing shocking and starting every week to playing decent and then been sent back to the bench?

It's a travesty that how bad we have been yet certain players are still used to packing the bench no matter what the outcome.

All fair questions and fair points. I take the line however that since two managers have now made the same choices viz RLC, Brana & Baba, there has to be a reason for it. They must both have seen/be seeing something that convinced/convinces them that these decisions were/are correct.

The only alternative is the idea that someone else is picking the team. That someone could only be Roman yet every manager we've had in the last twelve years has made it crystal clear that Roman does not interfere with team selection. In any case the evidence is against that. Jose sometimes picked Kurt, Guus always does. Jose seldom picked Mikel, Guss clearly regards him as first choice. A different mind is obviously in charge of team selection these days. Different minds which nevertheless agree on some things.

20 hours ago, Peace. said:

Since when being a headless chicken is a role ? This is not a role but a (lack of) quality. I mean, why on earth would a manager ask his player(s) to play like a headless chicken ? That would be as if Hiddink were telling Matic : 'This game you shall play the headless chicken, but do not worry next time you will play the intelligent man'. It does not make any sense, doesn't it ?

Headless chickens are so unproductive ; they run after the wind and shadows. Headless chicken are not running around for fun ; if they do so this is because they cannot do otherwise. As Le Corbusier said : 'the straight path is the Man's path ; the curved path is the donkey's path'. In our case, this is definitely relevant. When there is the possibility to go in straight line, all things in this world will go in straight line instead of going for the curved path — I guess that is a Natural law. When falling from the tree, the leaf does not fall in zig-zag because it finds it amusing, but because it cannot fall in straight line.

Now the question is : why Matic has to choose the curved path ? Because he has absolutely no vision and even less sense of positioning. In other words, he cannot anticipate the opponents' movement and therefore, instead of intercepting the opponent/the ball, he has to chase after he/it. At least Ramires was a 'good' headless chicken because he was so fast that he could catch the wind and the shadows. And if Matic has played 'at a very high level before and very consistently at that' 1 , it is not because Mourinho asked him to play the intelligent and potent player, that is because our organisation was compact, tight and we were sitting back ; which concealed his limitations as he did not have to run. To illustrate it differently, it was so tight and compact that he only needed to extend the long leg of his to get his foot on the ball (or across the player).

With Hiddink, our organisation is more open than before and our players are more spread vertically and horizontally over the pitch. As a consequence, he has more space to cover which only highlights his limitations — and the fact he is carrying an overweighted sumo on his back does not make things better. In conclusion, if he is 'roaming around like a headless chicken', this is merely because he is indeed a headless chicken.

1 this notion is highly contestable, but in order to stay focused on the topic, let's pretend that it is true.

Difficult to discuss your disagreement with a point I did not make. :)

Did I say Hiddink told Matic to run around like a headless chicken? What do you suppose would happen if you asked Mikel to be a box-to-box CM? Or if you asked Fabregas to play DM? Or even Thibo to play winger? Get the point?

He was obviously asked to do something he is not capable of doing; only to accommodate a DM whose role has to be explained over an over again: please check Mikel's *defensive* numbers in context of his "role" in the team. Or go ahead and check his attacking numbers then... 

Now if are telling me that Matic is incapable of playing DM I'd point you to tons of evidence showing otherwise. I know we don't like those around here as they come against colorful ideas and analogies.

Of course Matic is slow, as is Mikel. However, the evidence, both market value as well as stats, tell the story I choose to buy. If you buy something different, then so be it.