Willian

Jase

The thing is, does it? Willian has improved from last year, the same Eden improved, no I'm not saying they are any way the same player blah blah blah but what I am saying is that when we stop seeing improvement then its time to identify targets and possibly drop him etc.

He had a poor game, no getting away from that and he wasn't up for the physical side of it last night but again, ran his nuts off.

Willian has the ability, only a few other in the EPL that could beat him over 5 yards, not a huge amount but he had a burst of speed that you don't see often. as it creates space between him and the opposing player.

Improvements required:

Shooting

Quicker release of the ball near the box

I actually feel we get more from Willian and penetration from having him in the middle than on the wing but Jose cannot sacrifice that work rate because he compliments/gives so much freedom to Ivanovic down the right.

If you look at our back four CB+CB+LB are all pretty much in a line but the RB is halfway up the opposition half positioned for a forward run or a diagonal cross field ball.

The thing is, does it? Willian has improved from last year, the same Eden improved, no I'm not saying they are any way the same player blah blah blah but what I am saying is that when we stop seeing improvement then its time to identify targets and possibly drop him etc.

He had a poor game, no getting away from that and he wasn't up for the physical side of it last night but again, ran his nuts off.

Willian has the ability, only a few other in the EPL that could beat him over 5 yards, not a huge amount but he had a burst of speed that you don't see often. as it creates space between him and the opposing player.

Improvements required:

Shooting

Quicker release of the ball near the box

I actually feel we get more from Willian and penetration from having him in the middle than on the wing but Jose cannot sacrifice that work rate because he compliments/gives so much freedom to Ivanovic down the right.

If you look at our back four CB+CB+LB are all pretty much in a line but the RB is halfway up the opposition half positioned for a forward run or a diagonal cross field ball.

I disagree. The right question for me is 'has he improved enough to consistently starter for Chelsea?' And to that question the answer is no imo.

He's good to be a squad player but as he's a workhouse and Jose loves those he's been promoted to a starter which he shouldn't if we aspire to be among the best teams in the world. Chelsea is way out of his league as a starter, but he makes the cut as a sub.

Paying 30m just to get a workhorse like Willian seems a waste of money, doesn't it? There are probably some players in the squad who if drilled properly, can do the same job he does and even contribute more offensively.

Even our FBs offer more going forward than him. In fact I reckon we'd have a greater attacking output if Hazard moved to the right and Luis played on the left in front of Azpi.

Im not sure, for all his last ball frustrations he offers incredible balance to the team, the reason Hazard has a free(ish) role is because him and Oscar run around like dogs to maintain the team balance.

We could have got someone to "run around" for about 5m, but he would probably be a technical and tactical donkey who offers nothing more than lungs.

Players like Willian are vital to a team/squad, people use to wonder why Fergie always played "average"player's aswell.

If we lift the PL in May then Willian would have well and truly earned his medal as much as anyone.

I'm perfectly well aware of that but at what point, do we say 'enough is enough' with the lack of product going forward? Nobody is asking Willian to score or assist in every game, but at least produce them in return at a decent rate. Right now, that only seem to be happening like once in every blue moon. His last league goal and assist came back in September against Villa. His last ones in all competitions was against Schalke last month. So, he's practically only scored and assisted in two games this season. That's really underwhelming, even for a player providing balance to the team.

If Jose wanted more attacking plays from the right side then I am sure Andre would have been a starter for us. Its clear now that Willian gets picked primarily for his defending efforts. Though he's not bad offensively and at times can form great link ups with out attacking players.

Is he worth the 30m? Definitely not but there is no point talking about the price tag now. He may not be a game changer like Hazard but that does not mean we should overlook the Brazilian's effort because of this.

I feel he's highly underrated and am glad that he plays for us.

Willian is a great team-player but offensively he does leave an awful lot to be desired. And I think it's pretty clear at this point that he's not going to do any heavy lifting when it comes to scoring/creating goals. But I think that if Hazard, Fabregas, Costa, and Oscar etc carry on making the difference there will always be a place for Willian in the team. I have no doubts that Schurrle would score more but I'd still pick Willian ahead of him more often than not.

I'm perfectly well aware of that but at what point, do we say 'enough is enough' with the lack of product going forward?.

When it starts affecting overall results, in my opinion. This season we have been playing as good as we have since 2010, and Willian is a key part of that despite lack of goals and assists.

Schurrle and probably Salah also would score and assist more, but are we a better team for taking Willian out and putting either of those two in? not for me.

It kills me to think we wasted £30m on him to spite Tottenham (only reasonable explanation). He is a decent squad member, but he shouldn't be starting week in, week out.

That's not the only reasonable explanation. And I'm not even his biggest fan.

The other reason why we bought Willian was because we had a 3 number 10 in the team, and no wingers with exception of Hazard. The person who made that team knows nothing about football. But there was another problem... Oscar was not good enough, Mata can't defend at all and de Bruyne was a disaster. We needed wingers and Willian is not only a really good winger but also between all our AM's the more consistet and complete one by far.

FOr me is not good enough to play every week but he is an increadible player to start 25 games in the league as our 4th AM.

Again people like a lot to say bad things about WIllian but they look at Oscar and think he is increadible, when in reality Willian was better last season and will be again in this one.

The other reason why we bought Willian was because we had a 3 number 10 in the team, and no wingers with exception of Hazard. The person who made that team knows nothing about football. But there was another problem... Oscar was not good enough, Mata can't defend at all and de Bruyne was a disaster. We needed wingers and Willian is not only a really good winger but also between all our AM's the more consistet and complete one by far.

FOr me is not good enough to play every week but he is an increadible player to start 25 games in the league as our 4th AM.

Again people like a lot to say bad things about WIllian but they look at Oscar and think he is increadible, when in reality Willian was better last season and will be again in this one.

-->The person who made this team knows nothing about football

-->De Bruyne was a disaster.

-->Oscar, after displacing Mata in the team, was not good enough.

-->Willian is a winger.

-->Willian is our most complete and consistent AM.

-->He's a good option to start 25 games as a 4th AM

-->He'll have a better season as a whole than Oscar

Dude....what????

Mourinho signed Willian, Costa, Luis, Fabregas and recalled Courtois (and Salah) to create "This team." It is a completely different side than the 2012-13 team and in every way better. Plus, as an aside, HE GOT TORRES AWAY FROM THE TEAM. The bedrock of this team was in place and has formed a solid (not impermeable) foundation. De Bruyne was sold for a profit and is doing well for himself, not one ounce of disaster in that whole situation. Barring the end of last year, Oscar is/was a very good AM. Is he a #10? Maybe, maybe not. But he fits into Mourinho's team like a glove. Willian doesn't have the direct wide play of a winger. He drifts wide to create space, but everything comes back inside with him. He is in no way shape or form our most complete AM, he is ineffective in the final third but works his socks off in the middle and in defense. The final third is an integral area for an AM to be deemed effective. See, Hazard. There is nothing to say that demonstrates he is going to have a better season than Oscar. Oscar has his flaws and I'll be the first to agree with them. The balance that he brings to the team is invaluable.

...and lastly how does he start 25 games as a 4th AM when we play with 3 at any given time?