Fernando Torres

I'm not going to please Torres' detractors. But I just watched the Juve game and I do seriously think he played for one hour one of his best displays in a Chelsea shirt.

(I don't give a fuck if I underlined/put in bold the same kind of remark in Mikel's thread yesterday)

He was very good in terms of movements, he was where he was supposed to be to fix the defenders or help on the wings. He made the right attacking runs and helped a lot defensively by his pressing (as usual) but also by a compensation when Oscar came out up, following a Juve center back when he got up the field with the ball.

Beside that he was accurate technically, managed his controls, his turns, his quick footworks and tricks. He made overally the right passes.

The shadow to his global performance was some of his choices with the ball, he may have release it earlier. But if so some would have said "he's weak mentally, where is the former Torres" (single remark: the one who had 15 or 20 times a game that kind of cheeky penetration run at Liverpool considering 5 or 6 were successful, he had already a lot of waste because it was a very risky play)

And we have to put into context he was against one of the best defenses in the world, being closed down by two players and a third (often the full back) in support.

After one year Juve's midfield played way up the pitch so we didn't managed to get the ball out of the defense as easy as in the first 40mn, there wasn't the same link up play as we played in counter attacks. Those counter attacks were a bit hopeless considering it were built from diagonal runs through the wing (in the back of the wing backs which were quite up the field), then it was easy to be closed by the left or right center back

To be fair, Torres usually plays better in UCL. I always think that he always look faster (maybe because UCL defender is probably slower and less physical than the one in EPL and not so familiar with torres game) and more importantly when he try to do his trick and pass somebody, it works

There's barely anyone around Torres to follow the rare 2nd balls he manages to lay off (with aerial challenges by example) by the way, I think that highlight sufficiently the lack of coherence in the positionning of the players who still tends to be too far away from each others

Are you saying out attacking players are too far from each other? To me, the problem is the exact opposite. There were times today where we had 5 players standing within a few yards of each other. None of the attacking midfield 3 seemed to want to go wide to create space.

if you watch other strikers they will demand ball and shout at other players for support.but for this guy wen they don't pass he is really happy and relaxed.its seems he is d only one not realised he is shit

It is just impressive how people cant make their arguments without leaving any insult. Do you think it will make your arguments more compelling? Do you think it will make you look though?

This is for everyone that meets the criteria (fans or haters or whatever).

Torres is useless. So useless that its better to play with no CF, than playing with Torres. For me its like playing with 10 players when Torres is on the pitch.

I cant believe we still have some guys here supporting him and even trying to see the good things he did, when there is nothing there to see. If Torres scores next game, it will be the same old story: "Torres is back!" "Fuck the haters". Then there will be 6 or 7 games without one single goal.

Anelka was so much better than Torres, but he never got the love some unbelievable people here have for Torres. We are talking about a mercenary, that has no history with Chelsea, never was important for the club. No reason for the love.

I've supported him through last season but I've had enough of his abysmal displays where he spends 80% of the time losing the ball up front.

I agree with your premise on Anelka...I rather have sent Nando to China and kept him instead.

DD is a legend now...the first two seasons with Chelsea he was BAD. Yes he was a upgraded version of Heskey add to that his diving, sulking, and clashes with Chelsea Fans. I remember tht fluke backheel goal against Arsenal after which he went straight to the Chelsea fans and said something cus they were on his back all the time.

Guess you were not a Chelsea fan back in 04-05 and 05-06

of course he wasn't a fan back then. otherwise he'd remember that back in 04-05 and 05-06 our legend was nowhere near the player that left us last season.

and look how given time, drogba proved all his doubters wrong.

Torres done pretty well today, playing against Stokes parked Double Decker bus is never easy, but he created some really good chances, some of his passing was superb today, everyone will say Strikers are supposed to score and not set up chances but at least he contributed today by creating some good openings for his team-mates, yes he should have scored but at least he doesn't go and try to hide when he misses a chance he still kept showing for the ball and linked up well with his team-mates in limited amount of space. Fair play to him.

Torres done pretty well today, playing against Stokes parked Double Decker bus is never easy, but he created some really good chances, some of his passing was superb today, everyone will say Strikers are supposed to score and not set up chances but at least he contributed today by creating some good openings for his team-mates, yes he should have scored but at least he doesn't go and try to hide when he misses a chance he still kept showing for the ball and linked up well with his team-mates in limited amount of space. Fair play to him.

this.

we're not playing with a false #9, we are playing with no #9.

don't care how many excuses you make for him, whether it's him running or making a space. he just doesn't give a fuck. when he doesn't get a ball he shrugs his arms and goes around as if he got beaten by the manager. he doesn't provide any threat, nor goals, he shouldn't be anywhere near our team. he won't be a legend, he won't score goals from nothing, he's finished.

DD is a legend now...the first two seasons with Chelsea he was BAD. Yes he was a upgraded version of Heskey add to that his diving, sulking, and clashes with Chelsea Fans. I remember tht fluke backheel goal against Arsenal after which he went straight to the Chelsea fans and said something cus they were on his back all the time.

I disagree, he was not that bad at all...clearly was not the finished product at the time but was settling in nice in the premier league with a handful of memorable performances and goals.

Didier Drogba first 2 seasons: 82 matches 32 goals

Fernando Torres thus far: 75 Matches 15 goals

If Drogba was "BAD" in his first two seasons what exactly does that make Torres.

Drogba didn't have the luxury of coming from the same League, knowing the language and knowing the defenders he would face. He had to adapt as much as any other player coming from a different league into the EPL. We expected Torres being used to the EPL not to have such a long "adaptation" period - well Torres is still adapting. Drogba by the end of his second season had became indisputable #1 beating Crespo in the process - while Torres was handed the automatic first 11 spot without actually doing anything to earn it.