Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivanovic fits the bill ... starts most games, a favourite of the manager, stands up for his teammates, solid performer, speaks English. He'd need to tone down his occasional volatility, though.

He's also 31 and tends to have a very short fuse.

I just can't pick a captain after JT.

At the moment, I would say Azpi because he definitely has the drive, passion and commitment to succeed. And that choice is also probably because there aren't many outstanding candidates.

And speaking of captains, the question should also be on who is gonna be our next vice captain assuming Cech leaves.

I like the idea of Cahill but in an ideal world it would be good to have a natural leader who can be the leader for a decade or so after JT goes rather than someone who we could have to replace as captain in a couple of years.

And Courotis seems to be the only Young world class player we have who looks captain Material but i hate having Keepers as captains.

Whoever it is though will be a disapointment to some extent as i'm not sure there will ever be a better captain than JT.

Thinking about it... Matic seems the clear choice. He is relatively young, very good. Big, strong, and in the middle of the park. He would be my choice. Also would hopefully mean he is in our team for a long time.

I said in the Cahill thread, that this world cup has once again shown that Cahill simply isn't a leader, I would say if Terry leaves at the end of next season and Ivanovic is struggling to play regularly then Courtois or Fabregas possibly Matic will be captain for the 15/16 season. Also in maybe 4 or 5 years years if Zouma becomes word class he could become a future captain for Chelsea and France.

how is cesc even in the polls? the club captain should be based on the club's loyalty, longevity, status.

no it shouldn't. You pick a captain based on their character and leadership qualities and how respected they are by their fellow teammates, and of course to be captain at a team like Chelsea you have to be a world class player.

I don't really see any future captains in this squad. Be it due to us being spoilt by the leadership that messers Drogba, Terry & Lampard showed or the fact most these guys haven't really been around a long time to justify their claim.. It's just not glaringly obvious.

I see people call for Ivanovic but he can be as ill-tempered as Ramires on his day and that kind of short fuse is poison. He's clashed with Cech a couple of time too.

Azpilicueta is still a fairly young member of the squad in terms of maturity and he doesn't seem to have displayed anything to suggest leadership qualities. Being a fan favourite only gets you so far to be fair.

I wish I could earmark someone but the list of names seems very short to be honest. Nat Chalobah anyone? :lol:

no it shouldn't. You pick a captain based on their character and leadership qualities and how respected they are by their fellow teammates, and of course to be captain at a team like Chelsea you have to be a world class player.

then lets stop all the discussion and make hazard the captain. cos as far as i remember cesc in known to choke with the game on the line and has a huge question mark on his character and general fight. as for respect and importance to the squad, dont think he will be ahead of the likes of cahill and iva and simply should not be.

also, casillas was not RM's first team player last season. puyol was barca's. yet they were the club captains. messi does not get the armband when puyol is absent. xavi does, if not him valdes does. club loyalty and longevity should take a massive precedence in such cases specially when their is not a natural leader like JT in the squad.

It's very hard to choose. There isn't any obvious candidate. The captaincy should be based on merit and leadership, so we'll have to wait and see who steps up. So far, I don't see leadership qualities in players like Oscar and Hazard, and it isn't clear who will stay in the team long enough to become the captain.

While I don't have any preference, I wouldn't want the captain to be:

1) too young to deserve respect of older players

2) a substitute player.

Ideally, I think the captain should be:

1) WC player

2) someone who's been at least a few years in the club, though it isn't crucial

3) team leader in games

4) 25-32 years old (not too young and not too old; just enough experience)

But obviously, it isn't always possible.