Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

I dont understand what people like you think when they think that players need to "grow up" when showing commitment, passion and heart.

I don't know any "people like me" - so I can't enlighten you on what they think. I can only speak for myself and give you my opinion (as much as you can give me yours).

For me words like "commitment, passion and heart" mean many things, but definitely not a stupid and totally unnecessary laughing when your opponent takes you down. And no, I'm not saying he should have started crying either - just show some dignity.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Luiz will be the perfect captain one day. As for the stuff like the smile today, I think its irrelevant to whether or not he is a capable captain. That is just who he is, AT TIMES, at other however he is screaming at teammates and referees alike. He has immense passion, that is clear. I think its better to smile after a challenge than to do some of the stuff that Terry did that is for sure.

It also helps that he is very liked by fans and players alike.

Yes, it's important to have passion. But it's equally important to keep your calm when necessary - have you seen Cech and Lampard trying to calm the players down today? Or Cech calming Terry down after he got the red card against Barcelona?

Luiz needs to learn that, staying focused and think two steps ahead. And since he is a fiery and easily agitated player it will only come with age and experience. Mind you - that's not a criticism of him as player or as a person. His time will come.

And goalkeepers as captains: Buffon, Casillas, Khan, Schmeichel…

Some food for thought:

Goalkeepers in my estimates would make the best captains due to the fact that they have the best view of the whole field, can map out strategies, are more level headed on the field and generally command more respect from peers, opponents and officials.

Goalies have a better visual range than anyone else on the team and don't have to worry about being offensive or defensive, rather marshal the troops in position, map out tendencies of opposing strikers and midfielders and not to mention the fact that, other than running up for a corner kick and back down, have great stamina and do not tire through constant jockeying for the ball and running.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/17856-goalkeepers-your-best-bet-for-captaincy

Nobody can replace the captain of all captains. John Terry is the ultimate skipper. We've been blessed with captains like him and Wisey in the past twenty years or so. I'm hoping for an academy member to take over once JT is gone, I'd love it to be Todd Kane or Chalobah. Its a fantasy though.

I don't know any "people like me" - so I can't enlighten you on what they think. I can only speak for myself and give you my opinion (as much as you can give me yours).

For me words like "commitment, passion and heart" mean many things, but definitely not a stupid and totally unnecessary laughing when your opponent takes you down. And no, I'm not saying he should have started crying either - just show some dignity.

So when Terry kneed Sanchez in CL he automatically became a worse captain?

I dont get your logic.

No. I thought it was a stupid thing to do though.

I dont get your logic.

That's OK. I won't hold it against you :-)

GK captain though. :dunno:

There's a few around, namely Buffon, Casillas and not so long ago Cesar.. Cech is an authority and been around a long time, why not. But I get your point though, good to have captain running up and down the pitch :)

I dont get your logic.

Actualy yes because captain is example to others. He is leader and needs to be calm at any problem. What Terry did was not good for the team, he let players down and shown bad personality. I understand his rage if he would of been attacked by someone or if he would be protecting team mate, but that challenge was unecessary.

As for Luiz goes, I find it hilarious, but as for a captain, he has to prove other things like maturity and not just passion to the club. Even suarez has passion to lpool but no one would consider him as captain right now...

Why not cole?

Any point in that? Both him and Terry's contract are expiring next summer and there is a strong possibility they might be released then.

And even if we appoint Cole, we'll be deciding on a new captain very soon again after that.

If chalobah became a regular in our team then yeah... I would love him to be captain, but i think we should give it a few years. Luiz no 1, then make chalobah no 2 When he makes it to our first team. :)

As far as I see, there are 6 candidates to be considered for various reasons: Cech, Cole, Cahill, Ivanovic, Mata, Luiz. I've thought about it quite a bit and, well, let me break it down for you.

Cech - As some people have said, it's not ideal for a goalkeeper to be captain. There is a rule that only the captain can approach the referee to prevent players from ambushing and harrassing him. A goalkeeper can't stray off his line any time he has something to say. When things get heated on the other side of the pitch, he wouldn't really be able to stick his nose into it, but having been spoilt with Terry for so long now, I've gotten used to our skipper breaking up fights and telling off opposing players. What he has going for himself though is his stature, being the last surviving member of the "old guard", intelligence, composure. He would be the opposite of Terry, so it would need some getting used to.

Cole - With his shady antics, his twitter rants and all that, he doesn't make a good fit as the face of the club. I'm pretty sure the board don't want any more bad press and "bad boy" image for the club, so he's not a serious candidate. And it's questionable how much longer he'll stay here, I'd rather someone got anointed long term, instead of someone who is well past his best and doesn't have long left.

Cahill - Not a regular. Hasn't really done or shown anything to be worthy of the armband. If he ever breaks through to be a permanent starter, then I'll re-evaluate him, but at the moment it's not worth going in depth with him. Though he has some qualities and certain characteristics that show potential, like, eeeem... resembling Terry, being English, well-spoken in front of the camera and stuff.

Ivanovic - He's a good shout only if he makes the centre-back position his own, which he has never done. He's always been a rotational option, he's the first one to make room and the first one to come in. If Terry leaves, there's a good chance we're gonna sign a centre back and this might demote him to the bench. For the next season I can see him being a regular alongside Luiz, but I don't know where he'll be beyond next season. But there is something that Brana lacks which doesn't make me see him as a good fit for captain, I don't know what it is, but I just don't see him as a leader.

Mata - He's also a good shout. He's proven his commitment to the club, he's our best player, he's very likeable, he drives the team forward, he symbolizes what this club wants to achieve and become. The only thing that can be held against him is being too nice and not vocal enough, but who says a captain needs to be a loud asshole anyway? With him as skipper he'd be a stark contrast to Terry, our image as a club would probably improve too, because everybody likes him, even our rivals. It would also be fitting for a finesse player to be the new face of the club - Terry symbolizes the old physical powerhouse Chelsea, Mata would symbolize the new era of flair.

Luiz - Everything I said about Mata applies to Luiz as well. The guy played through pain in the greatest night of the history of our club and he was ready to take responsibility in case we lost, what more is there to say?

In conclusion: Luiz and Mata would be my prime candidates for captaincy. I would replace Lamps and JT duo with them, because they are great personalities, they drive the team forward, they will be our leaders regardless where the armband falls. I would feel bad for Cech though, he deserves it.

Also, we shouldn't be afraid to give it to a non-English player. We're a multicultural club and we should embrace it.