Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cahill has had a great season, but he's no leader, in fact, he needs a leader besides him to be at his best.

Iva tends to lose it too easily, same with Rami.

We don't know if Cech will be a starter and Courtois has not yet put on a Chelsea shirt.

Mikel might not be here next season.

Oscar is way too shy and his English is still an issue.

Cesc...

Salah is too young and has not been at the club for long. Same with Schurrle to a lesser extent.

Hazard is just not the leader type and his English is far from perfect as well.

Willian has not been here long and still can't speak English.

Torres...lol.

Azpi and Matic seem like the best choices, but even them are far from ideal captain material. Maybe it is the influence of having players like JT, Drogba and Cech that has spoiled us, but I just don't see any perfect captain for us from the current squad.

Willian cant speak english? Miles ahead of Rami and Oscar after just 1 year...

I can think about Cech, Cahill, Ivanovic.

To be honest I don't see Cahill as a captain, he seems a nice guy, and I don't see him as a leader.

Ivanovic is very hard man, but sometimes he just goes out of control. Not sure if he has the mentality to be a captain.

Cech is the easier choice, but it remains to be seen his role next season, but if keeps his first choice GK status, no doubt he is our next captain.

ps: how people are voting for Fabregas? I agree he has what it takes, but he needs more years as a Chelsea player before even being considered.

I disagree, if your the best man for the job it doesn't matter how long you have been at club.

if next summer Terry, Cech and Ivanovic leaves which is quite likely and we sign Thiago Silva or Kompany for example are you saying you wouldn't want either of them to be captain because they haven't been at the club long enough?

Cesc is the only one on there who is going to be guaranteed to be playing in 80-90% of matches next season (fitness permitting) and has the requisite experience of captaincy in the past, IMO.

he was a very good captain for Arsenal and he is more experienced now

If we want a proper long-term Chelsea captain to take over from JT without any change in culture the search for this person is directly linked to the development of Chalobah. These days you don't find many young leaders but Nat is one of them. Keep him around this season, let JT guide him and give him the chance to prove himself as a back-up for Matic (assuming Mikel leaves).

If we want a proper long-term Chelsea captain to take over from JT without any change in culture the search for this person is directly linked to the development of Chalobah. These days you don't find many young leaders but Nat is one of them. Keep him around this season, let JT guide him and give him the chance to prove himself as a back-up for Matic (assuming Mikel leaves).

The new long term skipper will come when he comes, I would rather wait for whoever he is to be ready first. Ivan or whoever would do for a Desailly style stopgap in the mean time.

I think the next captain will be a defender aswell. Azpi, Cahill, Ivanovic, they all got what it takes, but Brana is, in my opinion, the best for this position. He's been here for 6 years already, he is combative, always determined and ready to sacrifice himself for the team (he even got bitten by an oponent, for Christ's sake :lol:). If he leaves or gets benched, then Cahill and Azpi should be the alternatives. In this order.

I disagree, if your the best man for the job it doesn't matter how long you have been at club.

if next summer Terry, Cech and Ivanovic leaves which is quite likely and we sign Thiago Silva or Kompany for example are you saying you wouldn't want either of them to be captain because they haven't been at the club long enough?

I agree 100%. Longevity is overrated if there is someone who is clearly better suited for the role, you give them the armband. We dont have many true leaders like JT, if we sign a true leader like the ones you mentioned it becomes a no brainer really.

Cech the 2nd choice goalkeeper???

The disrespect of a club legend still on top of his game and the eagerness to crown thibaut as the number one is ridiculous. Cech has and still is a superior goalkeeper to courtois and if he becomes 2nd choice next season it will likely be for political reasons i.e a bid to secure long term future in that position rather than on merit.

Either way that number one spot has to be earned and I could give a toss about Thibaut's clean sheet record at Atleti, he will be judged on what he does in the blues uniform and Cech is obviously the proven candidate at this point.