Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

John Terry has had a setback in his injury today and ruled out of the Club World Cup. Given his lack of matches this season through suspension and injury etc and the fact he only has next season left before his contract is up, is it time we looked at his replacements?

Don't get me wrong, I think Terry embodies Chelsea. He is a leader of men and despite off field controversies, a good role model at the club. However, his absence has been noticeable, no-one has stepped up to the plate and I seriously don't agree with goalkeepers as captains. If we take the armband off him, players will still look up to him due to his reputation and his loyalty to the club.

For me part of the transition hangs on the balance of who will be the next captain. I'am sceptical under the curent regime as to whether John Terry will be handed an extension next season. I would very much like to see it but I say the same about Cole and Lampard. So maybe the time has come to name a successor.

The obvious candidate for me is David Luiz. He signed a 5 year deal at the club so we know we view him as a long term player. He has his mistakes but so have all our defensive players this season. What he does have is character and I heard Gary Neville say the same thing last night. He appeals to the fans the same way Drogba did, he plays with passion, he loves the club and he has the ability to make things happen. Now my opinion is obviously going to be met with mixed reviews but is this something we to strongly going forwards?

There's already a thread for this topic. So, merged.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading some of the suggestions in this thread makes me wonder how many people have actually played sport and know what a captain should be like. We've been lucky to have a great leader in Terry and some of the suggestions (Luiz for fuck's sake) are frankly an embarrassment.

Right now, if Terry and Lampard weren't around then it has to be Cech. The captain has to be a definite starter and ideally the first name on the team sheet. That is Cech. He also has to be well-respected by the players. That is Cech. He has to be mature and someone that the coaches trust to be that leader on the pitch. That is Cech. It isn't Mikel (which is worrying considering the position he plays in the team and the number of games under his belt now). Ideally he'd be articulate, and able to communicate well with referees. That is Cech.

The only other person in our team I could imagine fulfilling all of these criteria is Mata. He's a great role model for every player at the club and a cerebral, thoughtful man. But he can be a little softly spoken at times, and isn't a naturally forceful personality which some may see as a negative. Cahill could maybe do it but he simply doesn't have that 'puffed chest' demeanour of Terry (we're really been spoilt having him as our captain for so long).

What this whole thread has shown is a distinct lack of leaders in our team. Chalobah could certainly be one in the future but that's at least 5 years off. Whoever comes in this summer could do a lot worse than looking for an imposing centre-half with the personality required to skipper this team.

Looking at it now...

David Luiz.

He is charismatic, he has leadership and he doesn't give up. When he makes a mistake, he gives 150% afterwards in order to compensate it. He has the balls to step up and his recent PKs and FKs show that he practices a lot.

With Rafa and his tougher defense, I expect him to step his game up since he won't be exposed as much as before.

After him, I would say Cahill and Ivanovic, but I just find David much more suitable for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Our future captain should be someone who is prepared to run up face to face to every single player during the course of the game and tell them to sort themselves out when playing shit. I have never seen this and do not understand why. Where's the encouragement and desire to express passion from the captain gone? We need someone who plays 100% every game and never stops running even when its half time.. I want the cappers to run around the dressing room slapping everyone so they stay awake. Therefore I say give the armband to someone who fits the bill and I can't think of anyone in our squad that actually does that.

P.S. Think I'm still venting from our loss to QPR last night. Fking overpaid wankers.

One a time ago, i thought Hutcho would be the perfect image to replace Terry, he has the same attitude that JT has, and had the same potential to become the new face of the academy before his injuries, i always have a little bit of hope that he can still be apart of the club in the future because he has such good raw talent, which he showed in pre-season, but it seems so unlikely. Other than that i think it would have to be David, shows his passion on his face for the club and seems to be generally loved by everyone for his personality. He is very committed also, which is shown by his improvement in freekicks, etc, and as stated above always looks to rectify any mistakes he makes.

• 4 months later...

Don't know if this has been discussed yet but I'll start a thread and if their is a similar topic then so be it. Recently, everyone is claiming that Luiz is the sure fire next captain. I'm not so fond of that idea, unlike Terry, Luiz is far more inconsistent and way too much of a joker to take on the role of captain. Yes, he has scored some fabulous goals and has been playing perfectly recently, but is he really the next captain of Chelsea?

My choice is either Mata or Cech. Mata because he is the man who creates everything for Chelsea. and Cech because he has been with the club for years now and has always been one of the top GK in the world. I always liked keepers who were captains, they really set the tone for the game with their play and get the team and fans riled up with great saves (Casillas).

Anyone else have an opinion on this topic as it seems with a new manager both Lamps and Terry will be out this summer.

Cech probably, Ivanovic is also a great choice, very passionate about the team and he was the captain in that Seattle game last year..

I think the current order is:
1. JT

2. Lamps

3. Cech

4. Ashley

5. Brana

Don't know if this has been discussed yet but I'll start a thread and if their is a similar topic then so be it. Recently, everyone is claiming that Luiz is the sure fire next captain. I'm not so fond of that idea, unlike Terry, Luiz is far more inconsistent and way too much of a joker to take on the role of captain. Yes, he has scored some fabulous goals and has been playing perfectly recently, but is he really the next captain of Chelsea?

My choice is either Mata or Cech. Mata because he is the man who creates everything for Chelsea. and Cech because he has been with the club for years now and has always been one of the top GK in the world. I always liked keepers who were captains, they really set the tone for the game with their play and get the team and fans riled up with great saves (Casillas).

Anyone else have an opinion on this topic as it seems with a new manager both Lamps and Terry will be out this summer.

Merged with the old thread.

I don't think a goalie will make such an impact as a captain on the pitch as other positions would. Cahill is not as good as Terry. I believe a captain role should be given to a player that has blue blood, so I will put my vote on one of our youngesters. But considering none of them has made a stable position on the first team, I would have my vote on David Luiz at the moment.

Luiz is far more inconsistent and way too much of a joker

Is he a leader on and off the pitch? Yes or no? People assume Luiz isn't a serious guy because he's a "happy" character. Is Luiz a joker in serious moments? Does Luiz hide away when our backs are against the wall? Does he shy away from responsibility? These are the sort of questions we should be asking about the captaincy, not whether one is "too much of a joker" on his twitter because he calls people geezers and sticks his tongue out in photos. That doesn't effect his ability to lead/inspire football players on the pitch.

Is he a leader on and off the pitch? Yes or no? People assume Luiz isn't a serious guy because he's a "happy" character. Is Luiz a joker in serious moments? Does Luiz hide away when our backs are against the wall? Does he shy away from responsibility? These are the sort of questions we should be asking about the captaincy, not whether one is "too much of a joker" on his twitter because he calls people geezers and sticks his tongue out in photos. That doesn't effect his ability to lead/inspire football players on the pitch.

When the captain of all captains, Mr EBJT himself endorses Luiz as his successor, there's little room for debate. I for one can't wait to see DL4 with the armband.

I would say Luiz with Mata as a close second. Luiz is already acting like a captain and I think Mata would step it up if he was given the responsibility.

However, what I don't understand is people voting for Cech. Yes, he has seniority, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's a good captain. Personally, I've never believed in having a keeper as a captain. How can they set an example for the rest of the team if they're standing in one spot?

Can't go up for set pieces or corners, can't encourage others at the other end of the pitch, can only really communicate with defenders (and not all of the time). They're too isolated from the game. I honestly don't see a point.

Luiz stands out the most as somebody who would be captain material. He's vocal, he quite clearly gives it everything he's got, and top of it all, he's a great person (something that can't really be said about Terry, as great of a player/leader that he's been). I honestly don't think that there's a better guy than Luiz to represent and lead this team once the old guard are gone.