César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

2 hours ago, the wes said:

Azpi has been excellent so far has a cb the only thing I'm worry about is azpi getting caught out in the air with a tall striker 

Cesar has shown great positioning and timing on headers, though. Will it happen? Probably, yes. But even the tallest CB lose a crucial header from time to time and so far I don't think Cesar has given us any reason for concern in that regard.

The commitment I'd like to see from every player. Whenever the manager puts him, he will give his everything, every manager loves this kind of players and I'm sure Conte loves him.
I think he surely is one of the candidates for the armband and he definitely deserves that. :)

Always said he was capable of playing CB. He's been Chelsea's best defender for years. He doesn't just react, like the great majority of fullbacks, but he truly anticipates, reading plays and predicting the moves of his opponents. And with his level of (positive) aggression and commitment, he's an absolute pain to deal with for any player. His pace is a great asset as well. He's the only player in that back three who fills me with confidence.

Don't understand why doesn't have the band but maybe one day. Hopefully soon.

13 hours ago, lucashm said:

I would, Moses has been great, put i would like him a little bit further forward or off the bench,remember that he has dave babysitting him al the time on the right, and Azpi, as good as he has been as a CB, is even better as a RB, and not playing him there is silly IMO, just watch the Leicester cup game 

Moses defensively has been pretty much flawless. Did you see how many times he cleared the ball out of United's penalty area? His positioning and defending has been brilliant and he will rarely be beaten for pace. He's also allowed to push forward as a wing back and it's Dave and Cahill's job to cover the areas that Alonso and Moses leave. MOTD did a good analysis of it and they agree that at the moment it is working well.

10 hours ago, Azpinator said:

That would be the job of either Luiz, Cahill, JT or Alonso.

Yep. Alonso can plonk himself in the box to defend set pieces.

On 10/24/2016 at 1:51 PM, lucashm said:

I would, Moses has been great, put i would like him a little bit further forward or off the bench,remember that he has dave babysitting him al the time on the right, and Azpi, as good as he has been as a CB, is even better as a RB, and not playing him there is silly IMO, just watch the Leicester cup game 

Moses at RWB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Moses as a winger

Total waste of a very good defender playing him at left back. Solid at right back, but too defensive minded. Not suited to play as a wing back. But this new role is tailor made for him. I've never seen Azpilicueta playing so comfortable on the pitch like I've seen in these four matches since switching to the new formation.

3 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

He was only played at LB because of a manager with an incompetent outlook and selecting his old chums.

I have to credit Mourinho. Chelsea had a problem at LB in 13/14 and Mourinho fixed it by playing Azpilicueta there. The problem with Azpi at LB was that it should've been a short-term fix.

Found his call in life.

While very good and consistent as a FB, he still had some limitations, especially playing in the opposite side of his natural position. I've never thought he was that good, even in the RB position, supporting the attack. He can link up decently with Hazard, but he was never a master in the attacking aspect (average cross, average link up, average movement). As a CB in a two-men system, I would be a little bit concerned. While the defensive aspect of his game has always been his best feature, he's somewhat small, but a three-man defense works perfectly for him. Among all positions I've seen him playing for us so far, a primary defender in this 3-4-3 has been by far the one that he shone the most in my opinion, despite the short time he's been playing like this. He's shown enough not only in those latest matches, but in the years he's been here, that consistency and solidness are his middle and last names. he's the right man for the job and kudos for Conte once again favoring yet another player with this formation. I think we are about to see the best Cesar Azpilicueta that has played for us yet.

30 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

Will we see a back three of Azpi, Christensen and Zouma next season?

Cant see a leader between the 3 of them. Not yet anyway. I think Luiz will still be starting along with 2 or the 3 you mentioned.