César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

1st Lukaku's goal is perfect to understand Chelsea since 2013. A rejected player humilliated average players like Azpilicueta and Cahill, who were praised since 2013 as world class by a special manager. Its a joke that in 2016 in the starting line up we have Mikel, Cahill, Azpilicueta and Ivanovic, 4 players that looked like kids against Lukaku, a former player who was considered worst than Torres.

7 hours ago, LondonsFinest said:

Guy finally has a bad patch and we've jumped the gun. Typical.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The reaction here represents everything wrong with the football fans these days.

Absolutely. It's undeniable at this point that Azpilicueta is currently on a poor run of form, but it's ridiculous to see quite a number of Chelsea fans lay into him in this way; the same goes for Willian when he has a bad game (as he did yesterday). When I see fans on various forums and on twitter lay into these two players and immediately begin to question their ability, commitment, and value to the team following poor performances it makes me furious. Along with Zouma, they were the only outfield players to play at something close to their full potential over long stretches of this disaster of a season. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to down tools and relax, knowing that their efforts were probably in vain with so many of their team-mates hideously off-form and/or lacking focus, but they didn't; instead they fought on in a losing battle, and are now starting to show the strain.

Do they get cut some slack by certain sections of the fanbase? Do they heck. You don't have to look far to find people advocating that Azpilicueta and Willian should now be demoted to squad players/sold simply as 'punishment' for being less consistent than they were earlier in the season. If these people honestly advocate getting rid of them at this moment in time (when we are in desperate need of players with their combination of attitude and ability) just because they are not glamourous/'perfect'/indisputably 'world-class' enough for certain tastes, then I simply despair at the current state of sport fandom.

With attitudes such as these, why on earth do these fans expect ANY loyalty from the players who play for their clubs? The 'mercenary' way of life adopted by many modern footballers (and other sports-people) is certainly open to criticism, but we (as fans) are lying to ourselves if we refuse to accept that our own attitudes have contributed to this state of affairs. 

I don't think anyone's over reacted lol. Maybe the 'fluke' comment went a bit far, no-one's above criticism. 

That being said, if anyone deserves some compassion for a bad-spell in current circumstances it is Azpilicueta

On 13.03.2016 г. at 3:14 PM, Jason said:

The reaction here represents everything wrong with the football fans these days.

12 hours ago, LDN Blue said:

I don't think anyone's over reacted lol. Maybe the 'fluke' comment went a bit far, no-one's above criticism. 

That being said, if anyone deserves some compassion for a bad-spell in current circumstances it is Azpilicueta

Agree with both and the long post in between. 

Guy is nothing special, but he is a great defensive full back and okay going forward. Labelled as the best full back in the league for a reason. Some of the commentators here should hang their heads in shame. 

The guy has been playing basically non-stop for two years now, barely gets a rest and always gives his all. And considering how much work our defenders must do due to non-existent midfield, I think he is exhausted. It's not easy being one of Mourinho's untouchables.

4 hours ago, manpe said:

The guy has been playing basically non-stop for two years now, barely gets a rest and always gives his all. And considering how much work our defenders must do due to non-existent midfield, I think he is exhausted. It's not easy being one of Mourinho's untouchables.

He'll get a nice holiday in France. Del Bosque doesn't really use him, if I remember correctly? Should have a nice time having some banter on the bench :lol: 

• 4 weeks later...