Oscar

themightyblue

In terms of what the team actually needed, does anyone else feel that buying Oscar was a mistake?

I love him, he has great potential and all, but spending £25m on an unfinished product when there are other glaring gaps in the squad? We could've bought 2 very good or 1 world class DM for that price (Cabaye, Capoué, Beñat etc.). I just feel buying him was a bit of an overkill in the CAM department. We look much more dynamic with Moses alongside Mata and Hazard/Oscar.

Or maybe it's just because of this stupid 4-2-3-1 we're so persistent with. We don't have the players for it; no DMs, only one actual striker (Ba), but we go with the invisible spanish ghost up front. Ramires' ability is shackled as a DM, along with Frank's. Luiz is a defender and I've always said there are players that can do what Mikel does, except they can also distribute the ball effectively.

It's all bullshit. Emenalo/Roman/the board playing fucking fantasy manager.

I don't know, there's so many things wrong, I don't even know where to direct my anger anymore...

The other day I thought "be great if we still had Kalou" Ha! I think that says it all!

If considering that we got Oscar is a mistake then i believe having this thought in the first place is a mistake in itself. Oscar might not be a finished product but he is surely up there with the potentially good players. I think we have an unpolished gem which with proper care can go a long way. He bring another dimension in the team, someone who can play behind the striker or fall back deep into the CM position, quite versatile. One thing that he has in his arsenal when compared with Mata and Hazard is that he can defend better. Yes we paid a little bit over (thats what we always do) but then it is better to have a 20 yrs who cost us 20 something during transition than spending 40odd if/when he is a complete package.

At the end of the day, it is an investment that has been made. Now how we nurture our investment depends completely on the club.

In terms of what the team actually needed, does anyone else feel that buying Oscar was a mistake?

I love him, he has great potential and all, but spending £25m on an unfinished product when there are other glaring gaps in the squad? We could've bought 2 very good or 1 world class DM for that price (Cabaye, Capoué, Beñat etc.). I just feel buying him was a bit of an overkill in the CAM department. We look much more dynamic with Moses alongside Mata and Hazard/Oscar.

Or maybe it's just because of this stupid 4-2-3-1 we're so persistent with. We don't have the players for it; no DMs, only one actual striker (Ba), but we go with the invisible spanish ghost up front. Ramires' ability is shackled as a DM, along with Frank's. Luiz is a defender and I've always said there are players that can do what Mikel does, except they can also distribute the ball effectively.

It's all bullshit. Emenalo/Roman/the board playing fucking fantasy manager.

I don't know, there's so many things wrong, I don't even know where to direct my anger anymore...

The other day I thought "be great if we still had Kalou" Ha! I think that says it all!

I don't think it was a mistake but I was surprised with the signing because we have glaring needs in our midfields.

I think we bought for the future, but he had a few really good performances at the start of the season, especially in the CL then people learnt to get in his face and he's faded since then. I think its the wrong league but people built him up too much after his early performances, hopefully he knows this aswell and will accept he's a talent for the future but a starter every single game.

It wasn't a mistake buying Oscar. Players that young and talented don't pop up every year. It isn't as if we've spent 50m on a rubbish out form player that we didn't need like Torres. We signed a 21 year old Brazilian international footballer with massive potential. To say we didn't need him is also rubbish. We don't have that many midfielders/attacking midfielders. The squad is thin and lacks numbers everywhere.

Yes! This is what I was trying to get at when I started the "Why are we playing 4-2-3-1?" thread.

Even 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-2-2 or something. The pivot is such a major part of this formation, but we don't have the players for it.

All last season I thought that all we need is a creative partner for Mata and I think we got that in Hazard. Oscar I felt was a bit too much in terms of AMs.

However, it's be great to see him alongside Ramires with Mikel/Romeu deep. He'd have to discipline himself though, otherwise it can turn back to 4-2-3-1. Add KDB rotating as a CM and a world class DM and it's a mouthwatering prospect...

I hope so! But until then I don't think we're suited to 4-2-3-1 at all...we've more CMs than DMs. It only makes sense.

Mata doesn't really work on the wing - he's much better through the middle? :(

Well at least in the games I've watched - our problem is we have no GENUINE WIDE PLAYERS - so we have to play through the middle which is easy to defend against...

We need to be turning the defenders and hitting the byeline and crossing the ball into the box (exactly how we concede so many goals!!!)... It's no secret - UTD have been doing it for years....

Mata doesn't really work on the wing - he's much better through the middle? :(

Well at least in the games I've watched - our problem is we have no GENUINE WIDE PLAYERS - so we have to play through the middle which is easy to defend against...

We need to be turning the defenders and hitting the byeline and crossing the ball into the box (exactly how we concede so many goals!!!)... It's no secret - UTD have been doing it for years....

We need a player like Bale. Bit taller, fast with good technique, finish, crossing. Sanchez would be good option but he has terrible finish. Dzsudzsak would be good pick if you ask me...

What do you think of Dede?

Is he good CB?

Yes, but he had a big injury last year and I dont know how he will recover...

I am not really in the mood to make a big dissection on Dedé right now, sorry!

We need a player like Bale. Bit taller, fast with good technique, finish, crossing. Sanchez would be good option but he has terrible finish. Dzsudzsak would be good pick if you ask me...

Bale is one of the least technical players out. Hes all pace, strength and power. I'd like him to play for us yes him and Moses out wide with Ba upfront would absolutely smash teams.

Bale is one of the least technical players out. Hes all pace, strength and power. I'd like him to play for us yes him and Moses out wide with Ba upfront would absolutely smash teams.

He still has good ball control, not everyone needs to be Hazard or Mata

back on topic ..it is the Oscar thread. I have been disappointed so far. I'm not blaming Oscar he arrived after the season started and I don't think RDM worked out how best to use him , Benitez certainly hasn't.

I think this is an example of where a good experienced technical director could help a coach ... Of course WE have Emanalo.