Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STOP SAYING IT'S PRONOUNCED SHIRLEY!!!!! IT ENDS IN LUH!!!! LIKE LUNCH!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure everyone knows this...they just say Shirley because it's funny.

Would anyone really think a German last name would be pronounced "Shurley"? It's not guttural sounding enough.

Can't be bothered to argue this point. He's earning a fair wage in my opinion if the reports are true and I initially objected to the idea that we had a recent history of overpaying players, which I really don't think we do.

The Mata wage is an outlier.

That's pretty much it though. I have a 'one argument with a mod at a time' rule and somebody else is being a real bellend elsewhere.

Chelsea have done well in the transfer market but not that well in terms of negotiating contracts. 77 is a lot first-up. Chelsea have let quite a few backup players get away with high wages - Cahill, Demba Ba, I think wages should always start low and then increase depending on the players' value to the team, his overall output etc.

Mata is not the only example of a player on a lower wage here. Oscar, Azpilicueta, Ramires, Ivanovic etc are other examples of good players on lower wages. his wages should have been closer to the 50k mark imo but nonetheless, I'm glad he has signed

Chelsea have done well in the transfer market but not that well in terms of negotiating contracts. 77 is a lot first-up. Chelsea have let quite a few backup players get away with high wages - Cahill, Demba Ba, I think wages should always start low and then increase depending on the players' value to the team, his overall output etc.

Mata is not the only example of a player on a lower wage here. Oscar, Azpilicueta, Ramires, Ivanovic etc are other examples of good players on lower wages. his wages should have been closer to the 50k mark imo but nonetheless, I'm glad he has signed

Bearing in mind Sturridge was on about £60K, then £80K for a bloke with Champions League experience and more than 20 German caps is actually about market value (and again that's without knowing the other things in his deal - no-one has mentioned signing fees and a friends of mine more familiar with these issues suggested that it may be beneficial to clubs in terms of FFP to eliminate one-off payments and spread them over the course of the contract).

In the grand scheme of things, he's £105,000 p/w less than we were paying to Malouda and Benayoun last season and will take their roles in the squad. From that point of view it's hard to complain.

Now I just want us to let him play. Finally we seem to be understanding that it's depth, rotation and competition that wins leagues and we're starting to amass that in some areas.

firstly, the money involved suggest this isnt a buy just to add a bit of depth. with that money, we'd expect him to get some significant game time.

secondly, we have a lot of attacking players, anybody else think he could mainy be used as a striker? or we could see a hefty change in formation to accomodate all these players...

I dont think we'll see much of Moses next season and depending on how it goes he'll be sold in the near future.

A very useful player and a good signing, but not sure he's worth that amount of money.

My only concern is his shared position with Hazard. Can Schurrle play AMR at all? Would hate to see Hazard moved to the right to accomodate Schurrle when they're both fielded.

My only concern is his shared position with Hazard. Can Schurrle play AMR at all? Would hate to see Hazard moved to the right to accomodate Schurrle when they're both fielded.

We're not gonna move our best player to the right because of this Schurrle guy.

Read the article that was posted below your post. He can play on the right as well. Hazard may start some games on the right but I think overall he'll stay predominantly on the left.

What da f$$k did u read Sent from my iPhone using Genjutsu

For God's sake, remove that "Sent from my iphone using Genjutsu" stuff. Makes your posts look awful. (for me)

Thanks I keep that in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Genjutsu

Read the article that was posted below your post. He can play on the right as well. Hazard may start some games on the right but I think overall he'll stay predominantly on the left.

Except he didn't play a single game on the right all year. We now have our best three attacking midfielders all naturally left-sided to central players and nobody who is natural on the right. We're a better team with Schurrle for sure, but I'm not crazy about this signing. I think a lot of Schurrle's impressive numbers are based on extremely high usage. We'll see how he adapts to a lesser role.