Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

does anyone here really watched Bundesliga/Germany matches last season and knows how good he would be if he was a second striker, playing between the AM and the FW?

Not a watcher but I have a feeling he will be a kuyt.

I think torres will be happy to have him around.....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a watcher but I have a feeling he will be a kuyt.

I think torres will be happy to have him around.....

hmmm. Thanks!

I only have an opinion based in the article someone posted and their review about Andy, but I can't say I know the guy.

A Kuyt-alike could be sort of useful.

Most misleading stat ever. Schurrle is a good finisher.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Missed the target with more shots (76) than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

Doesn't mean Ronaldo is a bad finisher now does it?

Spot on!!!

If you want to score, you have to shoot. C ronaldo knows this more than anyone.

I remember a lot of matches last season where we went an entire half without a proper shot on goal. And defenders easily stayed deep and defended us since they knew we were only going to be passing about.

Now if defenders stay deep, we have a proper threat from outside the box.

I was probably the happiest person when hazard and luiz started scoring a few long range screamers because I thought we needed that badly.

Spot on!!!

If you want to score, you have to shoot. C ronaldo knows this more than anyone.

I remember a lot of matches last season where we went an entire half without a proper shot on goal. And defenders easily stayed deep and defended us since they knew we were only going to be passing about.

Now if defenders stay deep, we have a proper threat from outside the box.

I was probably the happiest person when hazard and luiz started scoring a few long range screamers because I thought we needed that badly.

It's not that simple. You can say "we need to shoot more" but shots do not equal goals. ManU had the most goals and averaged the 7th most shots. We had the second most goals and averaged the fifth most shots. Arsenal had the third most goals and the 6th most shots. Good teams are going to take roughly 15-18 shots a game no matter what. It's not like you had a more direct player and all of a sudden, we go from 16.5 shots to 20 shots. Schurrle won't be able to take the same number of shots he took last year. More like half of them which is probably good because he was extremely inefficient at scoring. Yes, we could be more direct and the more different ways you can attack the better, but the real thing we're missing IMO is width. The player who stretches the defense to allow the forwards some space, the player who can cross the ball into the box for our attackers to well...attack.

Mr Mod? C'mon man. I'm not a dictator here. :lol:

Exactly, that's my job.

As for Andy, stats are misleading. Remember when I used statistics to make Salomon Kalou look a brilliant player in 2009?

Andy puts away 9% of his shots - that's because he shoots more than most players I can think of - as opposed to Torres, who probably puts away 15% of his shots but shoots half as much.

does anyone here really watched Bundesliga/Germany matches last season and knows how good he would be if he was a second striker, playing between the AM and the FW?

Scurrle has been a slightly better, German Sturridge. Fast, shoots a lot, and when played on the wings always cuts inside. I'm hoping he finds a few more dimensions to his game with his move here.

Curious to see what happens to Hazard if Schurrle plays predominantly on the left. Eden on the right or in the middle, or will they never play together...

Glad Jose's in charge and not me

Hazard is not effective on the right so if they play together it will be Hazard in the center or Hazard on the left and Schurrle on the right

Hazard is not effective on the right so if they play together it will be Hazard in the center or Hazard on the left and Schurrle on the right

But then you have Schurrle out of his best position and you take away a major part of his game, namely his ability to cut onto his strong foot and shoot.

But then you have Schurrle out of his best position and you take away a major part of his game, namely his ability to cut onto his strong foot and shoot.

Let's bench Hazard then. Not!

It all about depth and alternative options. Not fixed positions - this transfer would be foolish if it was.

It's not that simple. You can say "we need to shoot more" but shots do not equal goals. ManU had the most goals and averaged the 7th most shots. We had the second most goals and averaged the fifth most shots. Arsenal had the third most goals and the 6th most shots. Good teams are going to take roughly 15-18 shots a game no matter what. It's not like you had a more direct player and all of a sudden, we go from 16.5 shots to 20 shots. Schurrle won't be able to take the same number of shots he took last year. More like half of them which is probably good because he was extremely inefficient at scoring. Yes, we could be more direct and the more different ways you can attack the better, but the real thing we're missing IMO is width. The player who stretches the defense to allow the forwards some space, the player who can cross the ball into the box for our attackers to well...attack.

I know we lack width, but I think KDB is one of the best crossers in football I've seen. Surely we have to make use of that..

I understand what u mean by the team with the most shots is not exactly the highest but I'm sure u remembered a lot of games last season where mata and hazard were just passing to each other without anyone having a decent attempt on goal.

Messi scores more than ronaldo but ronaldo shoots way more than messi to be able to keep up with messi and it helps madrid MASSIVELY.

Even bale's screamers from outside the 18box is what helped made tottenham even challenge for fourth.

Its not just to score but when the defenders know someone could score from outside, it unsettles them because the threat of a long range shooter makes the defence to come out of their comfort zone and free spaces for mata and hazard to opperate..

We definately need threats from outside the box when opposition teams park the bus against us, lampard is not as good as he was and that's the best we got in our team.

I'm fine with this transfer although I think the fee is a bit too high. I would never estimate his price higher than 15m, but the prices are fucked anyway these days. He's going to be the top backup for Hazard we were lacking last season. I wonder if we'll still sign a proper RW!?

I don't see a starting spot for Schürrle from the beginning of the season. He has to prove himself like everybody else and his big problem in Leverkusen was consistency which could be a major problem here, too. Let's see, but I wouldn't fear Hazard being played out of his best position every game from now on.

^ he didn't say that. He said one of Schurrle's best attributes is taken away from him if he is deployed on the right wing, whereas Hazard is lethal wherever he is played - hence why him moving to the right would not be such a negative aspect.

It is an issue. We have five players who should be starting regularly at attacking midfielder. Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, and KDB. Oscar is best as a #10, the rest of them are all #10s (more or less) or play on the left side. Moses is our only natural right-sided player but he's our 6th best attacking midfielder, so giving him a lot of playing time doesn't really make sense. None of this sort of thing matters against Sunderland or Palace because we are so much more talented and should beat them regardless, but against an organized side, it will matter. Someone is going be played out of position next season a fair bit.