Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

Mata, Oscar, Lampard and probably also de Bruyne are exactly that. Playmakers. We lack pace and width. We need a true winger not another no.10

A deeplying playmaker obviously :blink:

'Another' and 'typical'.....really??

The club over the last couple of years has been a model of restraint and financial prudence in almost all their dealings. This guy is making roughly what Cahill makes (reportedly) partly because he's a good young player but also because that's the financial model at clubs nowadays. He's making less than Benayoun did, less than Malouda did and less than Essien still does but he should contribute more. He's making roughly what Damien Duff was on at Newcastle and that's if the reports are even close to being true, and even if they are there's no mention of signing fees (were there any? were they waived to increase his weekly take home?) and no mention of how the wages are made up (does he have any claim to his image rights and is this figure made up of bonuses).

Here comes the club's financial advisor again...

This may have been a model of restraint and financial prudence, in your words, shown by the club in recent years but does that mean it's the right one? Not necessarily. Schurrle's wages that he's reportedly going to earn obviously looks good when you compare with Benayoun, Malouda, Essien etc but in isolation, that's rather a lot for a player who is perhaps still a bit unpredictable in some ways. Doesn't necesarily deserve that wages right now. And if you wanna compare the wages, his one looks ridiculous when you consider Mata is earning less than him when he joined.

Here comes the club's financial advisor again...

The only advice I know is not to make presumptions based on limited facts.

This may have been a model of restraint and financial prudence, in your words, shown by the club in recent years but does that mean it's the right one? Not necessarily. Schurrle's wages that he's reportedly going to earn obviously looks good when you compare with Benayoun, Malouda, Essien etc but in isolation, that's rather a lot for a player who is perhaps still a bit unpredictable in some ways. Doesn't necesarily deserve that wages right now. And if you wanna compare the wages, his one looks ridiculous when you consider Mata is earning less than him when he joined.

Schurrle seems to be earning (again, if reports are true) roughly market value for a guy with his experience and his potential. If people want to keep on bringing up Mata then they're welcome to, but Mata was paid a wage that he found agreeable. He'll be earning far more than Schurrle will in the future, but if you really want to make the case that Chelsea have a recent history of overpaying players then it's probably not a good idea to refer to one of the top three players in English football, who we signed on such an amazingly low price.

Not what I think we need. We have more deficient positions in the team, but well... I do hope he does great in the team. What is left to say?

I just hope it won't come in the way (financially) to get guys in the positions we do need like DM, CB, and FW.

we need at least one more signing in each of those positions.

I wouldn't mind a LB either as Ryan Bertrand is awful.

Welcome Andre Schürrle

The only advice I know is not to make presumptions based on limited facts.

Presumptions? Did I blatantly outright say that what he earns is true? Have been using the word 'reportedly' in the discussion, to suggest assuming 'IF' it's true.

Schurrle seems to be earning (again, if reports are true) roughly market value for a guy with his experience and his potential. If people want to keep on bringing up Mata then they're welcome to, but Mata was paid a wage that he found agreeable. He'll be earning far more than Schurrle will in the future, but if you really want to make the case that Chelsea have a recent history of overpaying players then it's probably not a good idea to refer to one of the top three players in English football, who we signed on such an amazingly low price.

IF what the media are saying about his wages is true, then 77k p/w wages for a 23 year old whose experience so far has only come in Germany looks even more ridiculous. And even with the potential, it doesn't explain that reported wages right now. It's only potential. Doubt he has a higher ceiling than most of young players in the first team right now. As for the comparison with Mata, I didn't bring up the comparison because it was you that started comparing Schurrle's wages with others first. Only went down that road because you decided to draw it towards that direction to justify his wages.

Presumptions? Did I blatantly outright say that what he earns is true? Have been using the word 'reportedly' in the discussion, to suggest assuming 'IF' it's true.

IF what the media are saying about his wages is true, then 77k p/w wages for a 23 year old whose experience so far has only come in Germany looks even more ridiculous. And even with the potential, it doesn't explain that reported wages right now. It's only potential. Doubt he has a higher ceiling than most of young players in the first team right now. As for the comparison with Mata, I didn't bring up the comparison because it was you that started comparing Schurrle's wages with others first. Only went down that road because you decided to draw it towards that direction to justify his wages.

Can't be bothered to argue this point. He's earning a fair wage in my opinion if the reports are true and I initially objected to the idea that we had a recent history of overpaying players, which I really don't think we do.

The Mata wage is an outlier.

That's pretty much it though. I have a 'one argument with a mod at a time' rule and somebody else is being a real bellend elsewhere.

Hazard,Mata, KDB can play 60 games a season each

Can they? This season Mata and Hazard sure did but we didn't do very well in the league, now did we? At times they looked fucking exhausted and we certainly would have done better if we had more useful players in the squad than Moses and Benayoun to replace them with. To be successful in the league and not just the cup competitions we need a bigger squad than we did this year. The manager needs to have the right approach and use all players accordingly and not just field the same 11 players week-in week-out because sooner or later things will go sideways. If we just trusted Mata and Hazard to play another 60 games next season, we would be bound to suffer when they get tired and in case they got injured we'd be truly fucked over.

Manchester United are the perfect example here. As a team they played 54 games last season but only a handful of their players appeared in over 40 games while most of them only played between 30-38 matches. With a relatively low amount of matches most of their players won't have the chance to get insane records like Juan Mata this season but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the team's success and not the individuals.

Yeah yeah why are we need him, we already have too many!?

Bayern - Ribery, Robben, Kroos, Shaqiri, Muller add 40m Gotze.

BFC - about six top attackers add 55m Neymar.

I think with Marin, Moses we still short in quality compared to top teams. We easily can have both KdB and Schurrle in the squad and even more - someone older who not so desperate for regular football but good professional. It will only benefit for the team. We need this quality to push our top players like Hazard, Oscar - it will make them better.