Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre Schürrle: Had the most shots (122) and also missed the most clear cut chances (20) of all players in the Bundesliga this season

Finishing is something players can work on - having an ability to get into goalscoring positions is something far more instinctive.

"Mourinho has a great personality and is just a cool guy," he said. "He was a big influence in my move.

"He gave me a handshake when we were at Michael Ballack's testimonial game, and said 'it's OK, soon you'll be with me'. It gave me a lot of pride and was a great feeling."

A mix of Anelka and Sheva? This guy isn't a striker you do know that don't you?

I dont view Anelka being a striker, my best image of him is playing outside the striker in a 4-3-3, cutting in and cleaning up scraps, or in a CAM role.

I dont view Anelka being a striker, my best image of him is playing outside the striker in a 4-3-3, cutting in and cleaning up scraps, or in a CAM role.

Anelka's natural position is striker, but he can adapt to other positions due to his versatility.

Last Season Mata-Hazard-Oscar-Moses-Benayoun-Marin

This Season Mata-Hazard-Oscar-KDB-Schurrle-Moses

Last Season Torres-Ba

This season Cavani(hopefully)-Lukaku-Ba

Also add the fact we have got rid of Turnbull shows we are on the lookout for a better number 2, slowly we are making the squad much stronger, all we need now is for the pivot sorted out and a centre half in.

Nice analysis. Thanks for bringing it up.

A few parts of it caught my attention as I admittedly don't know much about Andy (I'm with you on that one @; I'm not even going to try the supposed right pronunciation, Andy sounds as good as fine).

Part of the reason Schürrle succeeded under Tuchel at Mainz, and under Sami Hyypia and Sascha Lewandowski at Leverkusen this past season is because both setups catered to his strengths as a player. As mentioned previously, his pace and acceleration are ideal for teams that press high up the pitch and recover the ball quickly and immediately transition into attacks.

Again - watched few matches from Bundesliga (definitely not my kind of league) and I can't say about quality, but going from this comment alone I can see Mourinho maybe trying to make Chelsea have a little bit of the explosive counter-attack Madrid had under his management. Of course di María is faster than any of our players, and Cris is quite fast himself and other key players like Marcelo, Ozil, Higuain/Benzema also have different characteristics compared to Azpilicueta, Cole, Oscar, Mata, Eden and Torres - although I do think Xabi also contributed a lot to those lethal, quick, counter-attacks with precise long passes. We need DM like Xabi Alonso (passing quality wise) in the team and maybe Kevin can be this guy as time goes (although I guess he fits better AM than DM). His passing is good in medium distance... he crosses better than Azpilicueta any day of the week (in case he has a chance to do so).

Back to Andy though, I can see Mourinho getting him to play in a similar position to the one Cris plays in RM. If he's fast and accelerates like the article suggests (and seems okay in finishing) I can see Mourinho using him in that position especially if we don't sign someone to replace Torres. If he plays like that I don't see him competing with Eden. There's enough space for both of them to work in the left side of the pitch - it's not like Cole has been showing his face much in the wing. But I do feel our team is sort of unbalanced to the left side as it is.

So I can see Schurrle playing more advanced, closer to Torres, having less defensive responsibilities and shooting more than our current AM do. It's almost a 4-2-2-2, but not quite, as Torres would still configure as the FW, probably assuming a CFW position. In this scenario I say Andy is almost a striker because he could have more freedom to move, change positions in the pitch, and attack more than Mata and Hazard, just like Cris had more freedom (actually he had all freedom) between himself, Ozil and di María.

Mata would continue to be centered for most time, but stepping into the right wing to be a playermaker eventually, taking turns with Eden and even Andy at times. We do have a deficiency of players in that side of the attacking midfield - which is a problem as it makes the work all much easier to the opponent defense. But I guess it's less tragic if whoever goes assumes a position of playmaker. Cris doesn't have this problem as he's pretty amazing with both feet (something we could also use in the team) and although we see mostly on the left side, he had created amazing plays fromthe right side, scored goals, assisted - in the rare occasions he found himself obliged to pass the ball.

Anyway, although is seems concentrated in the left, I can see Andy doing 2-1 (not sure this quick exchange of passes is called this in English) plays with Eden or Mata and moving towards the goal.

It could fix our attacking issues - partially - but it creates another with the right side of the pitch...

It seems I disagree with the person who wrote the article about defending responsibilities (though I do agree intercepting the ball and tackling isn't Eden's biggest trait). But being the first combat line is expected from anyone - even Torres (when he normally fouls the guys and gets booked).

One thing I know for sure. If we're going to keep Torres, we need someone to play the same role Cristiano does in RM. The less we depend on Torres to score the better chances we have to actually score. Whether or not Andy can be this guy, I don't know. This post is much more wishful thinking than it is reasonable.

Andre Schürrle: Had the most shots (122) and also missed the most clear cut chances (20) of all players in the Bundesliga this season

Most misleading stat ever. Schurrle is a good finisher.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Missed the target with more shots (76) than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

Doesn't mean Ronaldo is a bad finisher now does it?

Well ok !

Im very curious how this will turn out. I do suspect this will mean no striker incoming - Lukaku, Torres, Ba and Schurrle to fill in at times. It looks like he would get the advantage on Moses and making him our ill up option - cant see him playing Hazard out of position. Kdb will probably serve to go amr all the way to amc and mc (8).

Interesting is the choice for players that are versatile - not only in position but also in attributes and 'work rate'. Mata/Hazard, Oscar, Kdb, Schurrle, Lukaku, and the now probable dmc(6) position that is coming....(I ommited Torres). It had 'more balance' written all over it. Back tracking, work rate and duels (won). Add Kdb with the crossing, speeding up of the play and most ran miles in the Bundesliga, the forcefull presence of a Lukaku sub in th 60' ..... then this all looks exciting and a durable step forward.

So yes Schurrle. Give it your best shot.

Most misleading stat ever. Schurrle is a good finisher.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Missed the target with more shots (76) than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

Doesn't mean Ronaldo is a bad finisher now does it?

Shurrle's conversion rate was 9%, worst in Bundesliga and supposedly 2nd worst in all of Europe...

Shurrle's conversion rate was 9%, worst in Bundesliga and supposedly 2nd worst in all of Europe...

Schurrle is a good finisher, those stats are misleading. That's why I put the Cristiano Ronaldo stat up, just because he's missed the target the most doesn't mean he's a poor finisher. Those stats are skewed because he takes a lot of long shots and shots from awkward angles, just like Ronaldo does.