Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

It is an issue. We have five players who should be starting regularly at attacking midfielder. Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, and KDB. Oscar is best as a #10, the rest of them are all #10s (more or less) or play on the left side. Moses is our only natural right-sided player but he's our 6th best attacking midfielder, so giving him a lot of playing time doesn't really make sense. None of this sort of thing matters against Sunderland or Palace because we are so much more talented and should beat them regardless, but against an organized side, it will matter. Someone is going be played out of position next season a fair bit.

KDB can play RM, as he consistently gives world class performances for Belgium at that position. I would be perfectly happy with KDB as our starting Right winger this season. However he prefers to play in the center of the pitch... but if he gets a starter spot at RW he wont complain I bet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KDB can play RM, as he consistently gives world class performances for Belgium at that position. I would be perfectly happy with KDB as our starting Right winger this season. However he prefers to play in the center of the pitch... but if he gets a starter spot at RW he wont complain I bet

De Bruyne played 3 games on the right last season. He's barely played on the right in his career and I don't care too much about a handful of national team performances. Like any of the players, he can play on the right, it's just not where he's used to playing and not his natural position.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8777641

New Chelsea recruit Andre Schurrle out to make impact

Andre Schurrle is looking forward to working with Jose Mourinho and has no fears about struggling to establish himself in the Chelsea side.

Schurrle became Chelsea's first signing since Mourinho returned as manager at Stamford Bridge when a deal was confirmed earlier this week to bring in the forward from Bayer Leverkusen.

He is aware of Mourinho's reputation as one of the greatest coaches in the world and has already been impressed by the Portuguese boss.

The 22-year-old is now determined to shine and hopes to become a regular in the team, unlike German compatriot Marko Marin - who endured a frustrating first season at the club.

"I first met Jose Mourinho at Michael Ballack's farewell game in Leipzig last week," Schurrle said in The Sun. "He was in charge of my team, the World Select side.

"My first impression of him was that he truly has a special personality. He is a cool guy as well."

"We met before the game, he shook my hand and told me 'Everything has gone through, and you are my player'. That was a wonderful feeling.

Lol, so Jose already made the decision back then. Schurrle might cannot sleep well that night.

Hazard's fine on the right, he's still effective. He's been moved to the right in game plenty of times and still produces.

Exactly, i don't get this whole, Hazard is the one of the best players in the world on the left, yet useless on the right.

Some of his best goals have come from that right hand side and he plays there several times in a match.

De Bruyne played 3 games on the right last season. He's barely played on the right in his career and I don't care too much about a handful of national team performances. Like any of the players, he can play on the right, it's just not where he's used to playing and not his natural position.

Really? Again this. He played a LOT there in Genk before Manager Been came. Dont mix facts with opinions.

He IS also a very accomplished right winger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Everyone that claims that Hazard is not good on the right is just not right(rhyme :D ). Hazard can play AS good on the right hand side, fact is that this season he didn't get started on the right enough times and you just don't know his ability on that specific positon. In Lille he sometimes played on the right and was funemonal and also in Belgium.

He got used to the left but that doesn't mean he cannot get used back to the right.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4969323/Andre-Schurrle-I-had-to-join-Jose-Mourinho-I-heard-he-was-best.html

ANDRE SCHURRLE has revealed he could not pass up the chance to work with Jose Mourinho.

The German striker has become the Special One’s first signing of his second Chelsea spell, arriving from Bayer Leverkusen in a £17million deal.

Schurrle, 22, has vowed to become a first-team regular at Stamford Bridge, unlike national team-mate Marko Marin — who has barely figured since his move from Werder Bremen last summer.

And he said: “I first met Jose Mourinho at Michael Ballack’s farewell game in Leipzig last week. He was in charge of my team, the World Select side.

“We met before the game, he shook my hand and told me ‘Everything has gone through, and you are my player’. That was a wonderful feeling.

“My first impression of him was that he truly has a special personality. He is a cool guy as well.

“I spoke about him with my national team-mates Sami Khedira and Mesut Ozil, who have played under him for Real Madrid.

“They both told me he is the best coach they have ever worked with.

“I don’t fear suffering the same fate as Marko and just being a replacement. I will try to make my way at Chelsea.”

So by your logic, Schurrle is more important than Hazard?

Let's bench Hazard then. Not!

It all about depth and alternative options. Not fixed positions - this transfer would be foolish if it was.

Oh man maybe I didn't phrase this well.

What I meant was that Hazard, being our best or second best player, is likely to start a LOT. Hazard also normally plays on the left, which is also where Schurrle plays. I wasn't suggesting we bench Hazard for Schurrle, I was just wondering whether Schurrle would ever appear in a line-up with Hazard, given that they both prefer to be on the left, and if they did both start, then where each player would be...

My apologies for the lack of clarity.

nah, I guess he meant he would try to fight for a position because he didn't want to go through what Marin did... not the classiest comment, but I don't think he thinks Marin flopped.

The boy was injured/not-in-shape-to-play for most part of the season, you can't say it's a flop

Really? Again this. He played a LOT there in Genk before Manager Been came. Dont mix facts with opinions. He IS also a very accomplished right winger. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, again this. He played some RW at Genk. Genk was a mid-table Belgian side when he played there. The player KDB was when he was at Genk is not nearly good enough to play regularly for Chelsea. Even when he as at Genk, he played mostly on the left (which is where he played when we faced Genk). He is not an accomplished right-sided midfielder in the least. He has shown prowess playing from a central attacking midfield position and some from the left but has barely played on the right. Maybe, he'd be good there, it's quite possible, but calling him an accomplished right winger is ridiculous.

Hazard is not 'Lethal' on the right...

Hazard is lethal no matter where he plays, if you can't recognise some of his best games for us have been where he has drifted to either wing (key example being West Ham at home), then....

I can understand that. It's not a surprise that Marin 'flopped' (if you want to call it that). Most of the people here in Germany who saw him play a lot before knew that.

Well I remember a lot of people said they don't understand the buy, when it happened and not months after.

So yes they knew.

My question then, what is the opinion with Shirley Temple?

Is he decent enough?

At least an improvement to Moses and I will be happy. Does not has to be world class like Hazard or big potential like Oscar, but just good and better then someone like Moses.

Now not to say I don't like Moses, I think he is a better option then Kalou, Yossi and Malouda put together. He is a good bench personal, but not an effective player for those big games when we need a change.

The more I read about this guy the better he sounds.

Nice piece here - http://bundesligafanatic.com/performance-analysis-what-can-chelsea-expect-from-andre-schurrle/

great read :D particularly like this part " He contested nearly 600 duels in the Bundesliga. Only seven strikers managed more this season and his duels won percentage (43) is one of the highest in his position." if he can do that with us we will for be retaining possession