Right-back Ramires?

@BlueLion

I'm sure if Ramires keeps playing his current football, he will get the time he deserves. Thats how things should happen, if Lampard deserves less time that Ramires, thats will happen, I think. Lampard will be ok with that, he already said it he wont mind to sit on the bech if someone better is playing.

I understant the guy frustration this season, because while Meireles playing shit football was on the pitch, he was watching it in the sidelines.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That picture has ruined BlueLion for me. I always thought he looked like his avatar for some reason :P

@BlueLion

I'm sure if Ramires keeps playing his current football, he will get the time he deserves. Thats how things should happen, if Lampard deserves less time that Ramires, thats will happen, I think. Lampard will be ok with that, he already said it he wont mind to sit on the bech if someone better is playing.

I understant the guy frustration this season, because while Meireles playing shit football was on the pitch, he was watching it in the sidelines.

That's a good idea but I think Ramires has played better since he moved to right wing than he has his whole Chelsea career. Unless Hulk signs there's no reason to change the set up, is there?

I think this will be less of a case next season. Mata will have adapted more to the English game, and have appearances at a European Championships under his belt. Furthermore it will have sunk in that we are European champions - morale will be awesome amongst the players at the start of next season considering all the silverware we could potentially have won by December (Charity Shield, Supercup, Club World Cup). But back to my point, Mata will be even better next season. He was incredible in his introductory season, but he will continue to grow and develop as he gains more Premier League experience. Add in the returning Kakuta and McEachran, you have young (albeit unproven) players with exciting qualities including good distribution. Marin and Hazard are both creative players who can make good passes, and Benayoun may stay for the final year of his contract as an additional option. I have no idea why we loaned him in the first place!

While I do agree with you, I just think that we have enormous talent in advanced roles in the midfield and awesome defenders to go with that. If we are going to play with a 4-2-3-1 formation which most will agree is probably the best way to go, I just think we are lacking a bit of class with those two sitting in front of the defence, a player like Xabi Alonso, who can read the game well, break up play but also quickly distribute accurate passes and attacks. Now I dont think for a second that we will even consider Alonso, but maybe someone like Yann M'Vila for me would make a huge difference. Staying on topic with this thread though, I dont think Ramires is the man to fill that particular void.

My thought are that we should keep Ivanovic by any means....and that it would be a complete waste of talent to push Ramires to right-back..

That's a good idea but I think Ramires has played better since he moved to right wing than he has his whole Chelsea career. Unless Hulk signs there's no reason to change the set up, is there?

Yes, and this whole idea of him playing there is based around Ivanovic leaving. There is some speculation over his future, but even if he stays, we need as much RB cover as possible, especially with Bosingwa gone. Ultimately we have Ivanovic, Ramires, Ferreira and Hutchinson that can play at RB. However should Terry, Luiz or Cahill become injured, Ivan would have to operate at centre half and we would be light at the back - hence why I have put forward this argument about Ramires being used as a fall-back-full-back option. Hulk's arrival would totally change the dynamic of the side, and that may mean losing Ramires because of reduced game time. Potentially. Worse-case scenario. A bit extreme I know, but he is such an exciting player.

@BlueLion

Agreed. The great thing about this discussion is that it shows how important he has become and how rated he is amongst not just Chelsea fans, but supporters of other sides. A good friend of mine is a Liverpool supporter who says Ramires is the player he would sign if he had the option to sign any player from any Premier League club. The dynamism he has is greater than any other player in European footballer; not one springs to mind who is a more athletic player than Rambo. He may not be absolutely Brazilian in his technique, but he is still a very special player.

It surprises me there are people on this forum who have very recently been calling him average.

While I do agree with you, I just think that we have enormous talent in advanced roles in the midfield and awesome defenders to go with that. If we are going to play with a 4-2-3-1 formation which most will agree is probably the best way to go, I just think we are lacking a bit of class with those two sitting in front of the defence, a player like Xabi Alonso, who can read the game well, break up play but also quickly distribute accurate passes and attacks. Now I dont think for a second that we will even consider Alonso, but maybe someone like Yann M'Vila for me would make a huge difference. Staying on topic with this thread though, I dont think Ramires is the man to fill that particular void.

You bring up an interesting point here, and this relates back to my original post. Ramires does not have the technique to be a playmaker - I can tell you agree with this as you mention the need for distribution; effectively a deep-lying playmaker such as Pirlo or Alonso. Whilst Lampard has an eye for a pass he is really the only true player who can facilitate that role. If that means we need players with greater distribution, it will be Ramires who is left out. Mikel is a better passer of the ball and retains position well. Ramires is an entirely different option but I am simply fearful that he will lack game time.

If we sign Hulk as well, then Ramires will get relegated to the bench because in a 4-2-3-1 he's only able to play the 2 wing positions.

Ramires and Marin will be back-ups at the wings with Ramires getting the occasional start depending on the opposition wingers and if the manager would rather shut down one of the wings.

You bring up an interesting point here, and this relates back to my original post. Ramires does not have the technique to be a playmaker - I can tell you agree with this as you mention the need for distribution; effectively a deep-lying playmaker such as Pirlo or Alonso. Whilst Lampard has an eye for a pass he is really the only true player who can facilitate that role. If that means we need players with greater distribution, it will be Ramires who is left out. Mikel is a better passer of the ball and retains position well. Ramires is an entirely different option but I am simply fearful that he will lack game time.

Again I fully agree, which is why again for me he needs to be in that advanced right midfield position, and if Hulk is signed, that kind of eliminates that option for him. I think he can make that position his own which is why I think signing Hulk is an unnecessary luxury, although his ability to play upfront should Torres get injured could prove vital, but perhaps we would be better off signing a back up striker instead and not necessarily a big name. To have all the skill and trickery of Mata and Hazard and then to compliment that with the raw pace, running ability and technique of Ramires I think would work well, especially if there is great distribution coming from deeper.

I think the two midfield positions in the 4-2-3-1 should be rotated between Lampard, Rambo and Mikel. I'd like to see how he'd adjust at Right back, but he's just a beast to have in the middle, giving energy to attacks and defence.

This will all depend on what manager takes charge. Mikel was excellent under Di Matteo but perhaps a different manager won't rate him and might rather the box to box running power of Ramires with Lampard playing a sitting role, ala Gareth Barry at Man City. It's all just speculation and guess work until we hire a manager, though isn't it brilliant that we have such a strong squad as to be able to discuss leaving out a player as good as Ramires.

That relies quite heavily, then, on us being able to utilise a deep-lying playmaker. Unfortunately we don't have a player we could 'convert' to the role.

We would have to sign one, cant see anyone being converted into one successfully. Ive already mentioned M'Vila, Chiek Tiote i think could work, Javi Martinez maybe (played a lot at CB this season though), maybe Modric but im not convinced he is the right man

We would have to sign one, cant see anyone being converted into one successfully. Ive already mentioned M'Vila, Chiek Tiote i think could work, Javi Martinez maybe (played a lot at CB this season though), maybe Modric but im not convinced he is the right man

Would be awesome to see Tiote at Chelsea....M'Vila is off to Arsenal apparently as soon as they sort out his wages.

I think KDB could be converted into a deep lying playmaker..

no. it would be a bad move. just let iva be at rb and strengthen the defense and if we have hulk ahead on the wing, he will anyways do a good job. so absolutely no. plus i dont want hulk now that we have got hazard.that move will relegate rambo on the bench with no use for marin and kdb. so please no hulk.

Don't want to him to be an RB or CDM...I feel both these roles place restrictions on him. During counter-attacks he's often the first player to make the break, and he can do so easier when playing from an advanced position.