David Luiz

the wes

Please, i have two questions. In which minute of game he maded that amazing tackle, when he saved the ball and corner? And second one - Do you you think that was his best performance in blue history? :)

Please, i have two questions. In which minute of game he maded that amazing tackle, when he saved the ball and corner? And second one - Do you you think that was his best performance in blue history? :)

His performance in munich in 2012 was his best imo.

Not sure which minute, but it was towards the end of the game. As for the second question, I think his performances at CB in the second half of last season eclipse yesterday's performance completely; but it was probably his second most important performance after Munich.

He had a good game....let's not go overboard. Does last night's performance mean we don't need Hazard or Matic in the squad as well? PSG were poor, they were poorly coached and failed to take the chances they did create.

Are people now saying that Luiz's performance actually mean he should play in defence, or that we don't need a midfielder? Because what I'm seeing are a load of snidey comments from 'supporters' with no real specifics about what last night actually means for the club going forward.

Always said he should play in midfield, he is versatile, we saw his adaptability when JT bombed forward yest, he has the nonce to fill in, same for Cahill but you wouldn't expect Rami, Matic or Lamps to fill that void with confidence?

I wouldn't go as far to say that we shouldn't buy another mid but you could also argue that someone like Oscar who has drifted in and out this season, so should we go out and buy another attacking midfielder?

I make no illusions that he needs to improve his consistency, also his passing needs vast improvement but it would help him if he were to play him in a settled position regularly rather than fits and starts. Its frustrating when he has performed admirably against quality opposition this season and that's all our rivals in the prem then has a stinker against the minnows like Palace but he certainly ain't the only one.

This thread (and the general media attitude in England) shows just how different the English thinking is on many aspects of football compared to otther parts of the world.

On the one hand he constantly gets critisized for his apparent rash behavior and acting against what is considered the English way of defending.

Yet on the other hand he is almost certain to be the first choice Centre back (along with Thiago Silva) for the Brazil teamin the world cup and is often seen as as someone clubs are willing to pay £30 million pounds for.

This thread (and the general media attitude in England) shows just how different the English thinking is on many aspects of football compared to otther parts of the world.

On the one hand he constantly gets critisized for his apparent rash behavior and acting against what is considered the English way of defending.

Yet on the other hand he is almost certain to be the first choice Centre back (along with Thiago Silva) for the Brazil teamin the world cup and is often seen as as someone clubs are willing to pay £30 million pounds for.

It has nothing to do with how English think at all, it's as simple as this.....

He's inconsistent for Chelsea.......Yet solid for Brazil

It has nothing to do with how English think at all, it's as simple as this.....

He's inconsistent for Chelsea.......Yet solid for Brazil

And who is the team that is likely to win the World Cup or atleast do well in it? Brazil with its defence that is allowed to take a more free form with defenders like Luiz allowed to move forward with the ballat their feet, or England who will have the likes of Cahill and Jagielka? And despite Chelsea doing well in this season's champions league and the commercial side of the Premier league claiming its the best league in the world; there is a school of thought thought that teams in the Premier league are on the decline and that the worlds top talentsare rejecting England to play their football in the likes of Germany and Spain and therefore we will not see the Englishdomination of the Champions league between 2005-2012 for a long time.

Just a thought, considering like I said if media reports are to believe clubs in Europe are willing to pay £30 million pounds for him.

And who is the team that is likely to win the World Cup or atleast do well in it? Brazil with its defence that is allowed to take a more free form with defenders like Luiz allowed to move forward with the ballat their feet, or England who will have the likes of Cahill and Jagielka? And despite Chelsea doing well in this season's champions league and the commercial side of the Premier league claiming its the best league in the world; there is a school of thought thought that teams in the Premier league are on the decline and that the worlds top talentsare rejecting England to play their football in the likes of Germany and Spain and therefore we will not see the Englishdomination of the Champions league between 2005-2012 for a long time.

Just a thought, considering like I said if media reports are to believe clubs in Europe are willing to pay £30 million pounds for him.

I'm sorry but you are asking the wrong person about the World Cup and who will do well in it because I don't watch International football, I just read up after games on players from Chelsea and their performance/ratings.

Plus if your using the English media as a yard stick I would seriously go elsewhere.

I'm sorry but you are asking the wrong person about the World Cup and who will do well in it because I don't watch International football, I just read up after games on players from Chelsea and their performance/ratings.

Plus if your using the English media as a yard stick I would seriously go elsewhere.

I'm talking about the whole of European media.

No he gets criticised for not being able to concentrate for 90 minutes on defending. I don't think that's an especially English requirement for defenders.

There's also a school of thought that says that things move in cycles and that the Premier League was always going to have a downswing after a tremendous upswing, and that the same thing will happen to the other leagues.

David Luiz is probably worth £30 million to someone like Barca because he fits their style better - a style that has seen them use Mascherano in defence for the last few seasons. For us though he's somewhat untrustworthy in defence. That has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with his mental approach to football.

International football is not a genuine yardstick in my opinion. It's several levels below Champions League and Premier League football.

You are absolutely right and I reckon we don’t even perceive all the difference you speak of.

At some point, against Stoke, Cahill made a run forward and lost control of the football on his own, by the time he regained it, an opponent had closed him down. Not a peep from the announcer/commentator. In Brazil the announcer would have yelled, “Gary, did you forget something?! The football, perhaps?!” all in jest, but as a critique too, because ball control is the most valued trait there for any player in any position (except GK of course). In England, the announcers praise well-timed tackles all the time, which would never happen elsewhere, at least not as vehemently nor as often. Gary is an excellent tackler, btw.

I have no problems with it and this is actually one of the reasons of why I follow the PL. This is also one of the reasons England have a hard time internationally, because the direct style is not always as effective; that’s a very different discussion though.

Despite of what some may think, I’m not a loyal David Luiz fan. I merely consider him (right now) a player who can give an edge to any top side, in his own way; opinion corroborated by the interest shown in him. How to use him? That’s a problem for the manager, not mine. The moment he’s gone, he’s gone (‘gone’ has many meanings here). Has happened many times before, but most people here are too young to realize this: footballers are a fickle bunch and fans ought to feel the same way about them.