David Luiz

the wes

He's always better in the games against big opponents. I think his problem is that he can't focus good enough when we play against average or small teams. Well, truth is that most of our players do that, but it's way more visible on Luiz than on anyone else.

Love love love love LOVE this guy in the pivot next to Matic. Fuck off do we need to spend £35 million on Witsel or some other "dynamic" box to box midfielder. This guy is class there. A far better option than Ramires (who is too inconsistent) and Lampard (who sadly is now too old to play consistently and/or on a regular basis).

Love love love love LOVE this guy in the pivot next to Matic. Fuck off do we need to spend £35 million on Witsel or some other "dynamic" box to box midfielder. This guy is class there. A far better option than Ramires (who is too inconsistent) and Lampard (who sadly is now too old to play consistently and/or on a regular basis).

Needs to do it over a few more matches but I like the balance between him and Matic. Both are defensively strong, both good in the air, both like to roam forward at times and both can pick a pass. His concentration issues don't just disappear when he's in midfield, but maybe he's a little bit more engaged in that position and any mistakes can be covered by the defence.

He's better than Ramires at least.

Needs to do it over a few more matches but I like the balance between him and Matic. Both are defensively strong, both good in the air, both like to roam forward at times and both can pick a pass. His concentration issues don't just disappear when he's in midfield, but maybe he's a little bit more engaged in that position and any mistakes can be covered by the defence.

He's better than Ramires at least.

That's another excellent point. Luiz is almost too good a footballer not to play - and if he's in the midfield, at least there's the chance the team can recover from a misjudgement.

What was interesting yesterday was seeing that he actually stayed back for corners. I think that was simply Jose keeping things simple and having him fill Rami's role at corners but he can be a real threat if balls come out to him for a long shot, although in time maybe we could use him at set-pieces alongside Matic, Cahill, Terry and Ivanovic and leave Azpi and Oscar back.

The guy certainly has it in him to hit shots from 30 yards, plus he can pick a pass. Just needs to get his stamina up there and he's a real option for next season.

What was interesting yesterday was seeing that he actually stayed back for corners. I think that was simply Jose keeping things simple and having him fill Rami's role at corners but he can be a real threat if balls come out to him for a long shot, but in time maybe we could use him at set-pieces alongside Matic, Cahill, Terry and Ivanovic and leave Azpi and Oscar back.

The guy certainly has it in him to hit shots from 30 yards, plus he can pick a pass. Just needs to get his stamina up there and he's a real option for next season.

I agree and he needs to get over these niggling but consistent injuries. Every two months it seems like he's out for two weeks.

This guy could become Coentrao to us, someone who always does the job when step in but never a regular/favorite for the manager which is fine I suppose.

He'll be off to Barcelona if it ever comes to him "just stepping in" for certain games imo. He probably will play in midfield for the rest of the season

I was so much into the bandwagon that hated the idea of turning him into a midfielder, but the more I see him playing by Matic's side the less convinced of that I am.

Why would we reinforce one of the still strong teams there, fixing their defense and then still have to find someone to partner decently with Matic?

Maybe a newcomer won't have a chance to displace Ramires - maybe José won't even look into someone to reinforce us in that zone, but if Luiz makes the best out of the next four matches he'll play for us (two with Matic for EPL and likely two with Ramires for UCL), he could grab the position from Ramires.

If he convinces Mourinho he's at least the best partner for Matic in those three matches he'll play there, I'll be happy. I was so happy that the guys from Chelsea TV pointed out to Mourinho that the big matches we've played with Luiz/Matic we won and played well. Mourinho can be stubborn and maybe it'll take him a while do admit his lovely Ramires while very good in some aspects, is a letdown in others and therefore isn't the best fit for our pivot. We saw with Mata and others throughout the years that having a player who's very good in something and very bad in other isn't always better than have a guy who's consistent in all things, while not necessarily impressive in any of them.

The thing is Luiz can be impressive defending... so I think it could turn into a win-win situation for us. I hope Mourinho can see the light. And you never know... maybe that could help Luiz improve as a defender too.

His anticipation and reading of the game makes him a great defensive midfielder, it allows him to see when to step in and intercept and as he is so much further forward, he has the ability to play the ball quickly to our front four and in-turn counter attack with pace. Both him and Matic do this really well, which is why we countered City and Arsenal so well when they played together.

I think Luiz works well next to Matic, but doesn't look to good next to any one else. One injury to Matic and we are back with the same old CM problem, which is why imo we need another (i would say Witsel, but apparently him and Matic weren't that great as a partnership at Benfica).

I think Luiz works well next to Matic, but doesn't look to good next to any one else. One injury to Matic and we are back with the same old CM problem, which is why imo we need another (i would say Witsel, but apparently him and Matic weren't that great as a partnership at Benfica).

TBH he did play pretty well against Liverpool at home without Matic.I guess we'll know a lot more about Luiz the midfielder against PSG if he starts that one.