David Luiz

the wes

Have you never seen Kompany during his initial years? He was just as "error prone" as Luiz was, looking to dribble the ball out, quite bad at positioning. Now look.

Luiz is on the cusp with us right now, about to reach his prime. Why you'd sell anyone who's about to give you his best years sounds like bullshit to me.

You may well be right. Luiz might turn into this defensive rock under Mourinho.

But are you willing to give up £30 million and the chance to acquire other hot prospects based on that? Are the club?

I love the guy. I love his personality and I've defended him when he was asked to play in midfield despite it not being his forte, but this isn't a JT situation. He isn't that strong, reliable presence yet and I don't know if it's a certainty that he will become that. If we could get someone commanding to play alongside him who could keep him in line and cover his deficiencies then he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.

But when someone dangles that much money in front of you then it's a tough decision. If someone says that he is definitely, right now a £30 million defender who we couldn't replace and be as strong (if not stronger) then you don't sell him. Is anyone saying that though?

Ivanovic costs us the Carling Cup.

Overall, there is no need to write a list of DL4 errors, he made mistakes and others CB also, we need to rebuild the back and the midfield to have the shape of champions; like we had in 2004.Mourinho will fix the defence, he always do everywhere.

The difference is that they are all younger and fit a Mourinho team. There's a couple of question marks over Oscar but they'll be answered in his second season I expect.

So hang on, you're willing to give Oscar a chance to prove his critics wrong but don't see anything wrong with selling one of our top 3 players this season who's on the cusp to give his best years for us? I really don't understand that too much.

With Luiz it's different. And our defence is broken - look at the points we chucked away last season. There are a number of factors in that, like the midfield, but it needs rebuilding.

Can we sell Luiz for this price and build a defence that is better? I think it's certainly possible and £30 million would go a long way to helping with that. We're talking about a defender that a lot of our supporters don't even think is a defender. Personally I think that's his best position but is he an irreplaceable rock? No.

To basically blame Luiz for that is naive. Our defence is one defender away from being pretty much perfect and you know it. Our defence is one of the most stable areas if our team, it doesn't require a shake up whatsoever.

You're looking for that rock in defence but why you're looking for that in Luiz, who's an aggressor, like Carvalho, one that tries to regain the ball back by nicking it in front of the striker which in turn sets up a great counter attack. He's done that numerous times. That's the sort of CB he is. He's not your JT or Vidic - that's the sort of defender we need to compliment Luiz. I don't understand why you're looking at Luiz to be that type of CB when he clearly has attributes that suit him better as the aggressor.

And to justify him being sold because our fans seem to think his best position is in midfield (not in part due to the media's constant campaign to play him there) is nonsense as well. Luiz is irreplaceable IMO, as there aren't many CB's out there better than him. Why you'd get rid of a top CB who's on the cusp of his glory years is just absurd to me.

I find it hilarious how Barcelona's interest in him isn't waking people up. Luiz clearly has it in him to be one if the best CBs around which has been clear this season - Barcelona's interest should validate that even more. Why people would accept selling him is beyond me.

You may well be right. Luiz might turn into this defensive rock under Mourinho.

But are you willing to give up £30 million and the chance to acquire other hot prospects based on that? Are the club?

I love the guy. I love his personality and I've defended him when he was asked to play in midfield despite it not being his forte, but this isn't a JT situation. He isn't that strong, reliable presence yet and I don't know if it's a certainty that he will become that. If we could get someone commanding to play alongside him who could keep him in line and cover his deficiencies then he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.

But when someone dangles that much money in front of you then it's a tough decision. If someone says that he is definitely, right now a £30 million defender who we couldn't replace and be as strong (if not stronger) then you don't sell him. Is anyone saying that though?

Money is not a problem for a club like CFC. Unless it's a ridiculously absurd offer, we shouldn't be selling.

Again I say, why fix what isn't broken?

PS: Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes - on my iPhone.

I'd much rather sell Ivanovic.

Anyway; If we were to let him go the only player I'd want replacing him is Varane which is next to impossible.

It really makes 0 sense to sell him.

So hang on, you're willing to give Oscar a chance to prove his critics wrong but don't see anything wrong with selling one of our top 3 players this season who's on the cusp to give his best years for us? I really don't understand that too much.

Oscar's had one season in the league and is a young player.

Luiz has had two full seasons with us, and half of another. We signed him at the same time as Torres (I'm happy to write Torres off too, I wasn't last summer).

To basically blame Luiz for that is naive. Our defence is one defender away from being pretty much perfect and you know it. Our defence is one of the most stable areas if our team, it doesn't require a shake up whatsoever.

I've already said that and I spent most of last season blaming the midfield. However I still think we need at least one CB this summer because I don't think we have a number one defender - Ivanovic and Cahill are both back-ups to me and Luiz is someone who plays alongisde that commanding presence.

You're looking for that rock in defence but why you're looking for that in Luiz, who's an aggressor, like Carvalho, one that tries to regain the ball back by nicking it in front of the striker which in turn sets up a great counter attack. He's done that numerous times. That's the sort of CB he is. He's not your JT or Vidic - that's the sort of defender we need to compliment Luiz. I don't understand why you're looking at Luiz to be that type of CB when he clearly has attributes that suit him better as the aggressor.

I agree with that. I don't think he is the rock, which is why I don't think he's that tough to replace. Whatever happens, we need that rock in defence, that cool, calm, considered presence who you build everything around (including Luiz).

If you tell me right now that we couldn't get someone to replace Luiz in the team who is younger and costs less than £30 million then there's absolutely no discussion to be had regarding DL.

And to justify him being sold because our fans seem to think his best position is in midfield (not in part due to the media's constant campaign to play him there) is nonsense as well. Luiz is irreplaceable IMO, as there aren't many CB's out there better than him. Why you'd get rid of a top CB who's on the cusp of his glory years is just absurd to me.

So you're saying he's irreplaceable. Fair enough. Personally I look at players like Nastasic and Vertonghen and think that maybe he isn't irreplaceable at a fraction of his price. I look at players like Papa and Mangala and think maybe there aren't other younger players out there with potential to be defenders good enough to win trophies with.

But you're saying that with £30 million we couldn't replace Luiz with someone as good. I'm not so sure of that.

I find it hilarious how Barcelona's interest in him isn't waking people up. Luiz clearly has it in him to be one if the best CBs around which has been clear this season - Barcelona's interest should validate that even more. Why people would accept selling him is beyond me.

Alex Song, Fabregas (rumoured to be leaving), Zlatan, Sanchez.....Barca make bad buys as much as anyone. There's also the issue of him perhaps being a better fit for La Liga in a team who dominate possession - that might be a factor.

That's not to say he's not a very good defender, but it comes back to the price being offered.

Again I say, why fix what isn't broken?

I think this is a complete misunderstanding of what we're doing. We're not fixing things, we're building a new team - that's why we've got a new coach.

Now we have parts already, but Jose will build a new team with a new philosophy of football and you start with the foundations. Players like Cech and Azpi are solid but you have to think about this from Jose's point of view - if he's building a defence would he rather have David Luiz or £30 million??

I'm not saying we should sell him but if someone is having a moment's thought about that choice then I don't really understand them.

Luiz is a phenomenal character, a unique footballer and just someone I love having at the club. But I wouldn't for a second say we'd concede less goals next season with him in the team compared to £30 million investment in the defence. Yes he's been fantastic for the last 6 months and yes he's cut out a lot of the mistakes but that's 1/5th of his time at the club and he still managed to throw a clanger in against Everton.

The moment he does that and people in the stands around me are surprised is the moment I say there's zero sense in selling him. Until that happens, you have to consider offers of this magnitude.

It's easy to blame defenders when your midfield sucks, isn't it ?

We lose possession very easily, we hardly have it against stronger teams, we don't control games, our central midfield is run over on regular bases, and all we talk about are Luiz mistakes and his error tendency.

Fair enough, he made some mistakes, all our defenders did, but could it be because they are exposed most of the time?

You think Luiz will make same mistakes in Barcelona? No he won't. Trust me, he will be among best in the team that controls midfield more than 50 % of the time, and where he won't be so much exposed. His other qualities, like involving into attack will show.

Our central midfield is huge problem, even as big as strikers problem in Europe. We are controled and run over, and that leaves our players in difficult position.

Our only DM can't play high tempo games, our plymaker is non existent. That pivot is almost criminal and it threatens both defenders leaving them exposed far too much, and attackers in Oscar, Hazard, Mata leaving them very little space and time for maneuver.

Our central midfield is freaking root of the problems (almost as big as strker in Europe), and I'm yet to hear anything which leads to its resolution.

And what Styles said, it's easy to believe he is mistakes prone defender, but if he indeed leaves to Barcelona, you are in for the surprise.

Wow, I can't believe that most you are fine with the idea of selling him, to make matters of worse, to that piece of sh*thole Barca. The guy has become accomodated to the Premier League at a fantastic pace, just remember in his first days how skinny he was and prone to bigger mistakes (e.g. the 2011 games vs Fulham & United) and now how he doesn't care going into duels, he fights for the team as much as possible, and he has gained weight/muscle. How you can focus on his few mistakes is baffling, when looking at the bigger picture, he brings energy, passion and at times, great goals both when playing at CB and DM, let's not forget he loves Chelsea through and through. I tell you what, if Mourinho wants to exclude/sell him to f*cking barca, I'll be the first one to lose respect for him, as much as he's loved at Chelsea, I don't f*cking want him excluding passionated players just because he can, like he did with Casillas @ Real, no matter what the root of the problem was.

Well we can't all hold the same opinion, can we?

IMHO: If Jose decides to sell him I'm quite sure it won't be a random knee jerk reaction, but a part of a plan. Get the money while we can, he is 26 and there is no guarantee he will get that much better.

I don't get how before jose was really in the picture everyone was on board with terrys view as well as the boards view to make DL captain and now that there has been news that states Jose wants him gone everyone is now ok with sending him packing.. I love jose as much as the next guy but this is madness if we are going to turn into a selling club what does that say over players like oscar and hazard who still haven't proven they love chelsea like DL if the money is right get rid of them.. Ppl Mourinho is great but he is not Jesus lets be logical here

Oscar's had one season in the league and is a young player.

Luiz has had two full seasons with us, and half of another. We signed him at the same time as Torres (I'm happy to write Torres off too, I wasn't last summer).

I've already said that and I spent most of last season blaming the midfield. However I still think we need at least one CB this summer because I don't think we have a number one defender - Ivanovic and Cahill are both back-ups to me and Luiz is someone who plays alongisde that commanding presence.

I agree with that. I don't think he is the rock, which is why I don't think he's that tough to replace. Whatever happens, we need that rock in defence, that cool, calm, considered presence who you build everything around (including Luiz).

If you tell me right now that we couldn't get someone to replace Luiz in the team who is younger and costs less than £30 million then there's absolutely no discussion to be had regarding DL.

So you're saying he's irreplaceable. Fair enough. Personally I look at players like Nastasic and Vertonghen and think that maybe he isn't irreplaceable at a fraction of his price. I look at players like Papa and Mangala and think maybe there aren't other younger players out there with potential to be defenders good enough to win trophies with.

But you're saying that with £30 million we couldn't replace Luiz with someone as good. I'm not so sure of that.

Alex Song, Fabregas (rumoured to be leaving), Zlatan, Sanchez.....Barca make bad buys as much as anyone. There's also the issue of him perhaps being a better fit for La Liga in a team who dominate possession - that might be a factor.

That's not to say he's not a very good defender, but it comes back to the price being offered.

I think this is a complete misunderstanding of what we're doing. We're not fixing things, we're building a new team - that's why we've got a new coach.

Now we have parts already, but Jose will build a new team with a new philosophy of football and you start with the foundations. Players like Cech and Azpi are solid but you have to think about this from Jose's point of view - if he's building a defence would he rather have David Luiz or £30 million??

I'm not saying we should sell him but if someone is having a moment's thought about that choice then I don't really understand them.

Luiz is a phenomenal character, a unique footballer and just someone I love having at the club. But I wouldn't for a second say we'd concede less goals next season with him in the team compared to £30 million investment in the defence. Yes he's been fantastic for the last 6 months and yes he's cut out a lot of the mistakes but that's 1/5th of his time at the club and he still managed to throw a clanger in against Everton.

The moment he does that and people in the stands around me are surprised is the moment I say there's zero sense in selling him. Until that happens, you have to consider offers of this magnitude.

Will respond to this later mate.