Roman Abramovich Thread

33 minutes ago, DDA said:

This is breaking my heart man. 😭😭🤧

I'm just hoping he can come through for us one last time, and place us in the right hands before moving on.

Not entirely convinced by the investor consortium we are being linked with.

6 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

I'm just hoping he can come through for us one last time, and place us in the right hands before moving on.

Not entirely convinced by the investor consortium we are being linked with.

It's hard to be excited over Americans at the helm when basing judgment on United and Arsenals ongoings. Mind you, Liverpool are owned by Americans I think and they do well.

1 hour ago, DDA said:

It's hard to be excited over Americans at the helm when basing judgment on United and Arsenals ongoings. Mind you, Liverpool are owned by Americans I think and they do well.

Liverpool fans seem to moan about them nearly as much as United and Arsenal do and are regularly critical of a lack of investment in the team.

12 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Liverpool fans seem to moan about them nearly as much as United and Arsenal do and are regularly critical of a lack of investment in the team.

Liverpool get by because of the management structure, Klopp and their recruiting team.

Which is why I'm not too worried. Yet.

As long as Buck and/or Marina & Cech are retained in some capacity., and obviously Tuchel, we should be okay in the short term.

The other aspect is contract negotiations. I hope whoever comes in doesn't fuck around and let players go without knowing their standing in the team.

In short, I just hope we maintain status quo. Retain Connor Gallagher. 

Not even thinking of transfers for next season.

Most billionaire owners just want to make a profit and are quite happy for the club to just tick over in mediocrity eg Bristol City

Abramovich loved his football and wanted us to be the best. This kind of owner is rarer than rocking horse shit.

The short term is just as critical as the long term in my opinion.

Tuchel needs to be retained and backed.

We have key players who's contracts are running down (in particular Rudiger) who need re-signing.

And then what if this drags on for an extended period. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that this situation goes into the summer still not fully resolved. What happens then with regards to transfer activity.

I don't think we're a million miles away and if we could get Rudiger resigned, bring back a couple of the loan players like Broja and Gallagher and make a couple of big, key signings in the summer we could be armed with an incredibly strong squad with a number of important players at an age where they could be playing for the club for years to come. If this impacts on that and leaves us in limbo this summer it will most likely push us backwards yet again.

2 hours ago, milka said:

I saw a small interview with Todd Boehly discussing football and the Premier League and to be fair to him he actually talked very passionately about football and made a lot of sense about the reasons why it's appealing to an American investor and the American market as a whole. It did seem a significant step up to what I've ever heard from the likes of the Glazers and the Kroenkes.

However until one proves otherwise, there will be that stigma around them that they are poor owners in this sport, mainly because the model is so different for their national sports that they are used to and I, myself, struggle with that same train of thought and hold major reservations.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The short term is just as critical as the long term in my opinion.

Tuchel needs to be retained and backed.

We have key players who's contracts are running down (in particular Rudiger) who need re-signing.

And then what if this drags on for an extended period. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that this situation goes into the summer still not fully resolved. What happens then with regards to transfer activity.

I don't think we're a million miles away and if we could get Rudiger resigned, bring back a couple of the loan players like Broja and Gallagher and make a couple of big, key signings in the summer we could be armed with an incredibly strong squad with a number of important players at an age where they could be playing for the club for years to come. If this impacts on that and leaves us in limbo this summer it will most likely push us backwards yet again.

Yeah, if the club can settle things fairly quickly I really don’t see things changing too much in the short term. Fans from rivals like Spuds and Arse laughing and saying that we’re going going to fall off a cliff to midtable are deluded.

Bring back Broja and Gallagher, retain Rüdiger, sell a couple of players that aren’t working out, and make just 2-3 signings. It’s not like we’re at rock bottom like Newcastle were. 

I feel like the new owners need to do everything possible to keep things below them in place. At least initially so the club can tick over smoothly.

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, if the club can settle things fairly quickly I really don’t see things changing too much in the short term. Fans from rivals like Spuds and Arse laughing and saying that we’re going going to fall off a cliff to midtable are deluded.

Bring back Broja and Gallagher, retain Rüdiger, sell a couple of players that aren’t working out, and make just 2-3 signings. It’s not like we’re at rock bottom like Newcastle were. 

I feel like the new owners need to do everything possible to keep things below them in place. At least initially so the club can tick over smoothly.

Broja and Gallagher will return but how much does that improve the squad? Rudiger return is no guarantee and given the club is going through a change, he might opt to leave now

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Broja and Gallagher will return but how much does that improve the squad? Rudiger return is no guarantee and given the club is going through a change, he might opt to leave now

I think they improve the squad significantly, if for no other reason than they bring something different to the table than our current players. 

And yeah, keeping Rüdiger is far from certain. Wish we’d just pay him what he wanted, ffs. He’s a top 5 CB in the world right now and deserves it. AC and Azpi are already most likely leaving. Silva is approaching 38 and who knows if he’ll continue to defy Father Time for another whole season. To lose Toni as well could be catastrophic. 

Going into a new season with such upheaval in the defense (which is the bedrock of our team) would be rough.