Roman Abramovich Thread

don't know anything about the swiss geezer but his biblical age and relatively modest wealth are huge turn-offs. Let's hope RA sees straight through this. But ig uess he just wants out at some point.

Also about the value disucssion. There is hardly  a liquid secondary market for football clubs,so you can't say now way we are worth more than Manutd. The price is whatever RA demands and if he wants 3bn to set off the loans or also make donations to Ukraine, it is his prerogative.

53 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Maybe it's cynical or maybe I'm completely wide of the mark with my assessment above, but a part of me does wonder whether Roman's asking price is a means to show willingness to sell but knows he is almost certainly not going to get offered that sort of money, and just buys a bit of time for now.

It's good take and I hope that you're right.

I may be dumb and criminally under informed but I don't see why Roman is such a pariah other than that people don't like Chelsea and he's a Russian they've actually heard of. Yes he was allowed to buy state assets at a price which amounted to theft but the guilty one for me is the one who sold the assets. If it can be shown that Roman has been delivering kick-backs, monetary or otherwise, in return for benefitting from the giveaway then he would be corrupt and I would turn against him. I've heard such kick-backs alleged however I've never seen the claims substantiated.

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

don't know anything about the swiss geezer but his biblical age and relatively modest wealth are huge turn-offs. Let's hope RA sees straight through this. But ig uess he just wants out at some point.

Also about the value disucssion. There is hardly  a liquid secondary market for football clubs,so you can't say now way we are worth more than Manutd. The price is whatever RA demands and if he wants 3bn to set off the loans or also make donations to Ukraine, it is his prerogative.

Wyss is not the big player in the group, he just went to Todd Boehly because Todd already offered 3B a couple of years ago to Roman and it was turned down.

surely some rich as shit (20 billion or more net worth) person sees this as huge bargain buy

Roman is NOT demanding payment back of the £1.5 billion in loans (per his official statement, which is fairly binding)

the only truly global European clubs are the big 15

Real

Barca

AM

PSG

Bayern

Dortmund

Juve

AC Milan

Inter Milan

Chelsea

Manure

Pool

Citeh

Arsenal

Spuds

5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

don't know anything about the swiss geezer but his biblical age and relatively modest wealth are huge turn-offs.

And his lack of interest in football.

We've had an owner with a football fan's dream approach to running the club. Whatever we get now must be less and is going to feel awful. We've lived with less before however so, even if it might feel like the end of the world, it really won't be.

18 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Holding off opinions until we hear form this new consortium. The first thing they need to do after taking over is assure supporters that they intend to keep the team competitive at the very highest level. Which means committing to spending money on top class players.

Ditto the women's team Deal breaker for me.

Another article about how after paying a staggering fee for the Dodgers Todd Boehly's group kept spending massive amounts of money to make sure the Dodgers were going to compete for titles, renovating Dodger's stadium and infrastructure in the club.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2012-dec-15-la-sp-dodgers-guggenheim-20121216-story.html

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

So what is it for Wyss in all this?

He is definitely a share holder and part of the group. I don't know much about him. The one I would be paying attention to is Todd Boehly. He will spend his own money beyond his share of the team to make sure a top player is bought. He loves making huge player buys and setting the team up for winning. For years now other baseball teams have been throwing a fit saying that he is just trying to buy championships. He is all about winning and wanting the biggest team in the league.  

28 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It's good take and I hope that you're right.

I may be dumb and criminally under informed but I don't see why Roman is such a pariah other than that people don't like Chelsea and he's a Russian they've actually heard of. Yes he was allowed to buy state assets at a price which amounted to theft but the guilty one for me is the one who sold the assets. If it can be shown that Roman has been delivering kick-backs, monetary or otherwise, in return for benefitting from the giveaway then he would be corrupt and I would turn against him. I've heard such kick-backs alleged however I've never seen the claims substantiated.

A little before my time and not something I have any real knowledge of but wasn't there a small number of people in the UK who got very rich and benefitted from Thatcher's Government privatising a number of nationalised industries throughout the 80's?

Very often when it comes to politics and ethical principles I find a lot of people are quick to be critical of someone, when if they stop and take a step back they might actually find they might as well be looking in a mirror.

You cant really compare the dodgers to Chelsea though. Dodgers are damn near Americas team. Only the yankees, cowboys, and lakers are more significant here.

Winning with the dodgers means something here. I dont see Chelsea winning meaning the same. One need only look at the Glazers reactions when stacking Tampa compared to their relative inaction in terms of keeping Manchester United(a global brand) "Competitive"

6 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

He is definitely a share holder and part of the group. I don't know much about him. The one I would be paying attention to is Todd Boehly. He will spend his own money beyond his share of the team to make sure a top player is bought. He loves making huge player buys and setting the team up for winning. For years now other baseball teams have been throwing a fit saying that he is just trying to buy championships. He is all about winning and wanting the biggest team in the league.  

Imagine the scenes if he walks through the door and brings Mbappe with him 😂

Roman Abramovich's £3bn Chelsea sale could be done as quickly as within TEN DAYS, says Premier League chief Richard Masters, with 'indicative bids' deadline set for tomorrow - and chief Marina Granovskaia will lead a post-takeover exodus

8 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

You cant really compare the dodgers to Chelsea though. Dodgers are damn near Americas team. Only the yankees, cowboys, and lakers are more significant here.

Winning with the dodgers means something here. I dont see Chelsea winning meaning the same. One need only look at the Glazers reactions when stacking Tampa compared to their relative inaction in terms of keeping Manchester United(a global brand) "Competitive"

The Glazers have spent more than any other owners in the PL in the past 5 years?