The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Some of our fans would rather play like Bayern did and lose 3-0 than win ugly.

If it was us we still would have lost even with hardcore bus parking...maybe not 3-0 but 2-0 is really likely as we won't chase a late goal like Bayern did. Remember 11-12 season with hardcore bus parking they were 2-0 up in the 1st half and we luckily got it back thanks to that Ramires goal. If it was 2-0 at half time it probably would have ended like 5-0.

Have read that previously and the Italian teams have been outperforming the English clubs in Europe this season. There are still Napoli and Fiorentina in the Europa League. If the English sides don't start performing again soon, there's some serious trouble ahead.

Here's something to debate:

I honestly think Luis Enrique's Barca would easily beat Pep's Barca. Why Pep's squad was technically and individually better, this current Barca is more effective and adaptive.

I like this current Barca A LOT more..

Only if you give them the exact same players each. It is debatable maybe Suarez is better than Villa or Neymar is infinitely better than Pedro and others now in the team like Alba. It is the same with Bayern, if this was Heynckes Bayern maybe they would not have been destroyed, remember that team is perfection as well.

The match was evenly balanced in the second half, and then Messi decided to make the difference. Speed in transition killed them, it was to be expected. Barca deserved winners, better team over 90 min. That second goal.. ugh. Classic Messi. Boateng fainting like he was sentenced for life.

Bayern failing to create chances without Robben and Ribery. Again, they're not the same without them. No one would be. Take out Messi and Neymar and Barca look a lot more ordinary as well. But Guardiola took a huge risk playing such a high line, trying to force the away goal. Backfired miserably, conceding a third.

Guardiola's rep taking another hit. When will Luis Enrique receive his praise?

Barca's so different. The precision is not nearly the same, but a lot more direct and pacey. And they're now capable of playing in a stretched playing field. With that super trio up front, they're definitely the favourites for the title. Which could mean another treble. Ridiculous.

Guardiola inherited a treble winning side and he has been thrashed in two Champions League semi-finals without scoring even once (0-8 as it stands).

One of the best coaches around. I wonder how we would have turned out if he came to us instead of Jose.

Guardiola destroyed Bayern. If today Bayern plays with Madrid they lose 8 or 9 without any problem(just because Madrid is a lot better n counter attack than Barcelona that is not that good at it). THat defense is a joke. How can GUardiola play with his defense in Barcelona midfield and give 50 meters to Barcelona to counter attack?

What a joke.

0 shots on target for Bayern, and they can htank Neuer because it could have been 5 or 6-0 without any problem.

Bayern 2 years ago won 4-0 in the Camp Nou right?

I honestly think Luis Enrique's Barca would easily beat Pep's Barca. Why Pep's squad was technically and individually better, this current Barca is more effective and adaptive.

This Barca side have a lot more to prove before comparisons with Pep's Barca can be made. They dominated football, winning a ridiculous amount of trophies.

Pep's Barca dominated every match. Opponents barely had the ball. They conceded a very low amount of goals. Pep's Barca had a better defence and midfield imo. Puyol and Abidal over Mascherano and Alba for me. Prime Xavi over Rakitic. Iniesta and Alves in their prime.

As for being more effective... I think you're forgetting how often they scored. I think it's pretty evenly matched. I'm sure Messi alone scored over 200 goals under Pep.

12-13 and 13-14 Barca were a lot less effective, yeah.

Have read that previously and the Italian teams have been outperforming the English clubs in Europe this season. There are still Napoli and Fiorentina in the Europa League. If the English sides don't start performing again soon, there's some serious trouble ahead.

Yeah I think someone has posted it here before.

Agreed, but for our co-efficient to be affected in the immediate future the performance of the Italian clubs will have to increase proportional to English clubs performance declining. I just don't see that happening.

Until Italian clubs start consistently making the Semis, I believe we'll be fine.

Anyway, who cares if we lose a spot, its only Arsenal that will suffer.

Im not sure I agree, while this Barca are a lot more exciting the sheer amount of control on games the 2011 side had was borderline illegal.

In midfield is where the game will be won, 2011 Busquets, Xavi and 2011 Iniesta >>>>> current Busquets, Rakitic and current Iniesta.

But but but, Barca don't deserve the win according to some on here. They only had 45% possession AT HOME. They must have parked the bus. They should be ashamed of winning 3-0 with such little possession at home!!!!

I know you're not entirely serious, but 45% with 15 shots (8 shots on target) hardly compares to possession below 35%, or even 30%, and 2, 3 shots (0 or 1 shot on target).