The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Letting Jupp go was the worst thing they did IMO. They weren't fully concerned about having the ball for the sake of it, but making the most of it when they had it. They were lethal on the counter.

In addition, their squad has only improved since then, but they have gone backwards along with rivals improving.

Heynckes was a loser in 11/12, and the best thing to happen to Bayern in 12/13. That sums up football.

There's no telling how Heynckes would've done if he stayed. You don't win trebles on the regular. Staying on top is harder than reaching the top. That's what made Barca special in 2008-2012. Mourinho left Inter after they won the treble. Brilliant move. Inter crumbled immediately.

Guardiola wants to be too clever. He has these grand ideas, but they require perfect execution. When that doesn't happen, you could be heavily exposed. To his credit, he wasn't too stubborn to change. Barca should've scored a goal, but Neuer saved them and it stayed 0-0 at half time. The game looked like it was going to stay 0-0 in the second half, the game was very evenly balanced. But Messi went into god-mode for the last 15 min and won the game.

Bayern created just 1 opportunity. Lack of creativity hurt them, but Barca also defended expertly. Fantastic pressing and Mascherano was brilliant at the back. Snuffing out any possible danger.

Pep found out after two semi finals?

So what has Mourinho done then?

Semi final against Atletico and eliminated to PSG.

So they both have not done that great.

This is actually his third semi-final in four seasons (remember 2012), but yes, it's two semis in a row and the matter in which he is getting knocked out of both speaks volumes.

Simeone owned Mourinho last year and we all know what happened this year, but the point I was trying to make is that unlike Mourinho, Pep actually got spanked pretty badly. After winning in 2013 with Heynckess and then getting Pep shortly after it looked as though Bayern were going to dominate Europe, especially considering the signings they made and the form they were in, but no, leave it to Pep to get embarrassed by Real Madrid 5-0 on aggregate and then get thrashed by Barcelona the following season in pretty much the same style. Pep was brought to Bayern precisely because the Germans wanted to dominate against such direct rivals, and in that regard, he and Bayern have failed miserably. Pep is too predictable and I'm glad we have Mourinho and not him at Chelsea.

Bayern offered fuck all going forward, they were hit by a wall when they did. I think Lewandowski is still running around the Nou Camp now like a fucking lost rabbit.

Well lewandowski had 2 chances one he missed and one fouled by alves. And he was playing with mask and broken jaw

Heynckes was a loser in 11/12, and the best thing to happen to Bayern in 12/13. That sums up football.

There's no telling how Heynckes would've done if he stayed. You don't win trebles on the regular. Staying on top is harder than reaching the top. That's what made Barca special in 2008-2012. Mourinho left Inter after they won the treble. Brilliant move. Inter crumbled immediately.

Guardiola wants to be too clever. He has these grand ideas, but they require perfect execution. When that doesn't happen, you could be heavily exposed. To his credit, he wasn't too stubborn to change. Barca should've scored a goal, but Neuer saved them and it stayed 0-0 at half time. The game looked like it was going to stay 0-0 in the second half, the game was very evenly balanced. But Messi went into god-mode for the last 15 min and won the game.

Bayern created just 1 opportunity. Lack of creativity hurt them, but Barca also defended expertly. Fantastic pressing and Mascherano was brilliant at the back. Snuffing out any possible danger.

Their style didn't change much during the two seasons, but they improved and brought in reinforcements. No one knows if Jupp would have continued dominating on both fronts, but they put in place deals before he had even left to make them even stronger.

Pep is too set on keeping possession and that is one of the reasons they lose that cutting edge. If they don't have width, they will be found out easily. They have now lost 3 games in just over a week.

This is actually his third semi-final in four seasons (remember 2012), but yes, it's two semis in a row and the matter in which he is getting knocked out of both speaks volumes.

Simeone owned Mourinho last year and we all know what happened this year, but the point I was trying to make is that unlike Mourinho, Pep actually got spanked pretty badly. After winning in 2013 with Heynckess and then getting Pep shortly after it looked as though Bayern were going to dominate Europe, especially considering the signings they made and the form they were in, but no, leave it to Pep to get embarrassed by Real Madrid 5-0 on aggregate and then get thrashed by Barcelona the following season in pretty much the same style. Pep was brought to Bayern precisely because the Germans wanted to dominate against such direct rivals, and in that regard, he and Bayern have failed miserably. Pep is too predictable and I'm glad we have Mourinho and not him at Chelsea.

But Mourinho is also predictable in that we always expect him to play defensive against bigger team.

There's not that much difference when it comes to Europe for both managers. They both under perform but have done well in their respective leagues.

But Mourinho is also predictable in that we always expect him to play defensive against bigger team.

There's not that much difference when it comes to Europe for both managers. They both under perform but have done well in their respective leagues.

Well to some extent every manager is predictable, this season even Diego Simeone was predictable. But the difference between Mourinho and Pep is that Mourinho is way more flexible when it comes to the opponent's tactics - even if defensive football is his trademark it's hard to know what he has up his sleeve (I'd rather we played defensive football than get humiliated by 3 or 4 goals anyway).

Pep is more stubborn and simply not as adaptable as a manager. Mourinho may have been eliminated before the quarter-finals by PSG but I fail to see how this makes a statement, unlike the Pep situation. Pep just got humiliated by two of the biggest clubs in Europe within two seasons. If he loses 5-0 on aggregate to Real Madrid and then gets knocked out by Barcelona the next year in similar fashion, how can you expect him and Bayern to recover? You cannot know for sure that we won't be able to beat Barcelona and Real Madrid and reach the final next year, whereas this Bayern side simply can't.

Pep's high line defence last night was lolworthy, you will never see that from Mourinho.

But wait, like @Lionsden said, at least Bayern stuck to their true philosophy! Yeah, its not like they were missing Robben/Ribery and Alaba... I wonder if Bayern Munich won a moral victory yesterday? Because that match easily could've ended 5-0.

Lets flashback to last year Semi-final First leg: Real Madrid v Bayern Munich. Where the future champs had 28% possession AT HOME. I wonder if the Real Madrid fans enjoyed that victory?

When was the last time Mourinho lost 3 games in a row?

And how many times have their "superior side and system" lost compared to our's this season?

Like I said before, how many goals do you want before you admit he's just overhyped?

:chai:

And how many times have their "superior side and system" lost compared to our's this season?

Like I said before, how many goals do you want before you admit he's just overhyped?

But he continues to win the Bundesliga.

He just been getting stuck at the semis like it has been happening to Mourinho for the last couple of years.

I don' t think he is overhyped.

His starting tactic was suicidal but he quickly changed it, I think the 3 v. 3 only lasted 20 minutes or so.

It is difficult for Bayer to threaten Barca without Robben and Ribbery

on the other side Messi was brilliant, 2 world class goals.

This was the kind of matches where individual brilliant can change the game.

I remember RM v. Barca when Mou was still in charge. Mou tactic was absolutely spot on.

Then Messi happened

But he continues to win the Bundesliga.

He just been getting stuck at the semis like it has been happening to Mourinho for the last couple of years.

That is completely meaningless. My mom could win the Bundesliga with that Bayern squad...

Not discrediting Pep, but that is not an achievement. It's just not.