The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Spuds & Arse just kinda tiptoed their way in and hope nobody notices.

I mean seriously, why the fuck are Spuds in this? At least Arse have some European history and a huge global following. The tater tots are small time on the world stage.

I'm prepared to very much "sit on the fence" over this for the time being as more information will continue to filter out over the coming days and weeks. At the moment whilst things are so raw, there's always going to be a huge negative backlash around it. 

I don't mind the idea of breaking away from UEFA to form a cup competition amongst the elite sides in Europe. There has been huge issues with UEFA for years, yet they've been able to continue on their way because they consider themselves untouchable. So either breaking away from that, or forcing UEFA's hand to drastic reforms to me isn't a problem.

The biggest issue is the potential of being excluded from competing domestically. As some have already mentioned, the emotional aspect of domestic rivalry can't be replicated.

There have been huge reforms in sports which have been ridiculed or opposed but have turned out extremely successful and if anything enhanced the sport. The English Premier League is an example. Rugby Super League, T20 in cricket. But the biggest vibe this gives off is what happened to darts where the PDC broke off from the BDO and effectively took over as the leading brand within the sport.

If this goes ahead I can see this in time taking over. The idea that football will continue to thrive without these clubs I feel is misguided. Don't get me wrong it won't just disappear, but the Premier League without the biggest clubs is barely a bigger pull than the Championship, as brutal as that may sound. The best players are at these "elite" clubs. It sounds like Bayern are joining, and I'd be surprised if PSG hold their ground on opposing it now it's out in public. They might get a few brownie points on a moral ground for not being a "founding club" but if this really does go ahead then they won't be left behind. The power that these top clubs hold has been completely underestimated for years and it seems like they're now prepared to use that power.

With the money and power potentially involved, if these clubs are banned/removed from their leagues and UEFA what is stopping them from trying to poach other teams. Money talks at the end of the day. If the group say, approached Leicester, Villa, Leeds and Everton (as an example) to breakaway and create a 10 team domestic league to run in conjunction with the Super League, I'd be surprised if they chose not to. It doesn't take much to do something similar across the other top leagues in Europe and before you know it, this breakaway has 40-50 teams with all the elite players across Europe and retaining a domestic schedule to run alongside their proposed Super League format. They would potentially be in a position to set up their own type of World Cup before long too as an international competition.

Another thing to note is that the "big 6" in England have wanted more power over decision making for a long time. The opposition to the 5 sub rule for this season always felt like a bit of a middle finger from the "lesser" teams across the league.

The Premier League model has been proven and the attraction of it as a brand across the world shows that it still holds significant value to these big clubs. They'll still want a piece of that. And the other 14 clubs will not want to lose that, because it's value and appeal will be barely a fraction without the big clubs. The harsh reality is the big 6 don't need the rest of the Premier League, but the Premier League needs the big 6 if they want to maintain their current revenue streams.

If the FA remove/ban these clubs from English competition, I think a breakaway version of the Premier League will almost certainly happen, operated by these six clubs. 

I expect top6 to stay in PL but it is not going to be the same. If you are not in the title race and we saw that can happen after just 2 months of the season, games will lose value. No fighting for top4, top6 etc... All eyes will be on Super League.  

Apparently UEFA are going to sue every club involved in this league for €60 billion? So is this €5 billion from each of the 12 clubs? Or €60 billion per club? Either way. Wow. Will see how many people think its a good idea when clubs worth 2-5 billion are hit with either 5 or 60 billion euro lawsuits. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

29 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yes, eventually this will become normal. People in general dont respond well to changes. Even if it something small like Facebook changing design.

Roman can now build that stadium without using his own money.

yes but the fucking Home Office will not renew his visa

that is why he pulled the plug

😪

Elevation.  New Chelsea FC Stadium by Herzog & de Meuron. Image © Herzog & de Meuron.