The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

19 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Nah, can’t see that. Without the “big 6” the PL viewership and ad money would collapse. No chance they get kicked out.

Nobody outside of England will want to watch West Ham, Everton, and the rest of these average teams. They want to watch the big boys.

I think they have to take a stand. As do all the domestic leagues. To protect their domestic leagues from the very bottom tier to the top.

Its not a matter of kicking them out straight away but if they want to remain, they need written permission to play in the Super League on top of everything else from the FA as stated in the PL rules they’ve all agreed to. 

They just dont have to give them it which they aren’t so then its basically play 50-60 games a season as you normally would or join a super league for money and play only say 15-20 games a season potentially.

16 minutes ago, Mana said:

Won’t happen. These are big clubs. Where are they going to? Burnley?

Its certainly going to affect some of them. I dont think they exactly asked the managers or players when agreeing to join this league. It will be interesting. 

9 minutes ago, Vesper said:

The players will sue FIFA. And likely win.

But if FIFA takes the same stance, like UEFA and the domestic leagues football associations, does it not make the clubs more liable? Meaning players could then sue clubs for not consulting them about something which would affect them playing internationally prior to agreeing to it? 

Edited by OneMoSalah

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

But at the same time, do we really want to watch Chelsea vs Barcelona say 4 times a year?

Remember how people moaned in the past about certain clubs always face each other in the Champions League - e.g. Arsenal v Bayern.

At some point, the allure of those big fixtures will be gone and we'll be looking at those games like Burnley v West Brom.

And it's also why our tie against Real Madrid feels big, special etc because we have rarely played them in Europe. 

I mean, yeah, as I stated a few hours ago I think it would be cool to play Barca, Juve, Real Madrid etc a bunch. Seeing these giants all in an arms race to secure the best players to compete in the Super League sounds interesting to me.

Could me the American in me that likes seeing this chaos since I don’t have a sentimental soft spot for English traditions and the “football pyramid” like everyone is talking about.

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Is that a coincidence that one of the best ever basketball players joins two weeks ago and now they announce a super league that has a similar system like the NBA? 

Le Bron is a small fry in this. The combined wealth of just the 15 founding clubs' owners and owner groups (like Barca amd RM who have thousands of owners) is over half a trillion usd.

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Are we going to be tossed out of the CL now? PSG was not listed by they surely are one of the 15 perm clubs. If they do not join the SL right away will they be given the CL title now by default, as us, RM, and Citeh are balls deep into the SL now?

will be fascinating to see how it unfolds.

I understand the anger and frustration of our fans. Esp after getting hopes up for the season finale. Imagine how fans of middling clubs like Frankfurt, Wolfsburg, Leicester, Westham must feel. The moment they hustle into europe's premier compeititon it is no more lol.

This is a historic moment. Changes in world sports of this magnitude happen once in a lifetime.

It is now obvious no one in football gives a shit about fans' feeling anymore. There is nothing we can do about it. So one can either choose to walk away for which i have the utmost respect or lean back and watch the explosions from afar. If this is not entertaining what is.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

I mean, yeah, as I stated a few hours ago I think it would be cool to play Barca, Juve, Real Madrid etc a bunch. Seeing these giants all in an arms race to secure the best players to compete in the Super League sounds interesting to me.

What's the difference with the current setup then?

Just now, Jason said:

What's the difference with the current setup then?

An absolutely ENORMOUS boost in revenue compared to CL qualification/participation by the looks of it. Plus, no more uncertainty about whether or not you finish top 4. Which means these clubs can feel safe in investing huge transfer fees knowing that guaranteed revenue will be there. 

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

An absolutely ENORMOUS boost in revenue compared to CL qualification/participation by the looks of it. Plus, no more uncertainty about whether or not you finish top 4. Which means these clubs can feel safe in investing huge transfer fees knowing that guaranteed revenue will be there. 

My point is what IF this just replaces the CL and clubs can still play in their domestic leagues? What's the difference then besides the revenue? 

10 minutes ago, Pizy said:

But basically its also severely reducing the chances of other teams reducing the gap and further more, removing the competitive edge throughout the whole sport outside of these 12-20 clubs who will participate essentially. 

And then if the domestic leagues buckle, (lets hope not), there will very likely be no great upsets/underdog achievements like Leicester winning the league with Claudio. Or Monaco winning it with Jardim. Or Wolfsburg in 08-09. Things that make football what it is, or will soon no longer be, completely unpredictable.

Edited by OneMoSalah

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

My point is what IF this just replaces the CL and clubs can still play in their domestic leagues? What's the difference then besides the revenue? 

Well, nothing I guess. Which is why I don’t get the outrage. It’s like the CL without the anxiety of having to worry about qualifying. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

read this at the same tiwtter account :

Try that again (long day). Told, at the moment, it's unlikely that the 'founders' still involved in this season's Champions League (Chelsea, City, Real Madrid) will get booted out.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Tons of games against top teams. For example this season we played Atletico x2, will play Real x2 and final maybe. This is 4 or 5 games against top clubs. No more Krasnodar, Rennes...

They will make PsG win it by their usual ref corruption but they will never kick teams out. They are too greedy. Also would completely ruin their negotiation basis. This is all a big game.In the end the leagues and uefa will agree to super league as long as they get a piece of the cake. The announcement today and the statements by the leagues and uefa were just the opening shots and establishment of starting positions. they will meet somewhere in the middle.