Axel Witsel

Nic!

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel 40m is just too much,I know we are in desperate need for a class pivot player but 40m is just not the price to pay.

Tend to agree. Great player but that's a lot of money.

Personally I'd prefer someone like Alonso as a short-term solution who knows the league and Mourinho and can bridge the gap between now and Van Ginkel/Chalobah/Loftus-Cheek.

But if we can get him for a decent price then he's one of the best options around.

Atm we won't pay that much for a player. He has only played in inferior leagues, so we do not really know how he would fare here, even though one can be quite sure he will succeed. But let's put things into perspective, there are many classy players in his ink out there, maybe few are that good but few cost that much. In 2 years, he will be still young and probably much better and more experienced but will cost less, so why not wait and see. This project, Mou has often said, is made for the long term. Still people are so impatient, they demand new signings all the time and ravage about our actual player's performances. Give it time.

You make it sound like Witsel is somehow unproven but he has excelled in a bunch of good leagues and played regular Champions League football all through his career, not to mention his classy performances for Belgium. He's 24 years old and is only getting better and better as time passes so it's easy to see he's the real deal.

For anyone who watches Chelsea regularly it's clear that the midfield isn't up for it and hasn't been since 2010 when Lampard was four years younger, Ballack was still at the club and Essien's knees weren't as fucked up as they are now. The club need to address this problem as soon as possible and if Witsel became available, why not snap him up? Other alternatives including the likes of Vidal, Pogba, Gündogan etc. will probably not even be on the market, at least not for a reasonable price, so deciding not to get Witsel when we could potentially have a chance would be a huge mistake. Waiting a couple of years to see if his development continues probably won't be an option because surely some other club will get him if we don't and we could end up with fuck all or at best some second rate stopgap signing to get us through another season.

Tend to agree. Great player but that's a lot of money.

Personally I'd prefer someone like Alonso as a short-term solution who knows the league and Mourinho and can bridge the gap between now and Van Ginkel/Chalobah/Loftus-Cheek.

But if we can get him for a decent price then he's one of the best options around.

I'd like to see someone like Alonso as the short- term solution but we definitely need a world class CM next summer.

Witsel, Gundogan, Pogba fits the bill perfectly.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9030188/axel-witsel-admits-he-wants-to-move-to-england-but-is-not-in-a-hurry

Seeing some rumors on twitter as well that during belg-colombia jose what chatting with someone well connected to witsel. For me this move should of already happened a year ago. Hope it transpires in january. Expect us to be heavily linked from now on. cup-tied though =/

Fuck cup tied, the league has to be number 1 priority this season, if he is available for that, that's the main thing.

Similar to the Ozil/Arsenal situation, if a player of his quality becomes available you just have to snap him up regardless of price. The difference is that we actually desperately need a player in his position.

Overall, I cannot think of a better DM in the world right now. Even if you think of Alonso, who is old, and Gundogan, who is injury prone.

Also, if you think of the players who will most likely be/should be on their way out next summer: Ba (7-10m), Moses (7-10m), Marin (4-6m) and maybe even KDB (10-15m+) the price doesn't seem too steep.

Buy, buy, buy! :D

Even if you think of Alonso, who is old,

Alonso is 31 (nearly 32) - that really isn't that old.

What's amazing to me is that we're also looking at Pogba (who was a young lad given a shot by a big team), whilst Southampton are above us having given chances to Ward-Prowse and Shaw. Yet we're afraid to actually give someone like Nat Chalobah a go.

Instead we're looking at spending £40 million on Witsel - a very good player but that is a lot of money to spend.

What's amazing to me is that we're also looking at Pogba (who was a young lad given a shot by a big team), whilst Southampton are above us having given chances to Ward-Prowse and Shaw. Yet we're afraid to actually give someone like Nat Chalobah a go.

Instead we're looking at spending £40 million on Witsel - a very good player but that is a lot of money to spend.

It's easier for Southampton because they have no pressure really for them, if they finish top half that will be a successful season for them, where-as with us there's pressure to win every match. Rightly or wrongly teams at the top just don't promote players without successful loans first, there's a few exception's but even Fergie was cautious in that regard (which resulted in him losing Pogba). Wenger who is widely hailed for his youth development wouldn't risk Wilshere until he proved himself on loan.

Liverpool's a prime example, last season Rodgers was given time so safe in the knowledge of that gave games to Sterling and Wisdom, now there is genuine expectation at Anfield to (at the very, very least) fight for a top 4 place, those two aren't getting a look in.

It's easier for Southampton because they have no pressure really for them, if they finish top half that will be a successful season for them, where-as with us there's pressure to win every match. Rightly or wrongly teams at the top just don't promote players without successful loans first, there's a few exception's but even Fergie was cautious in that regard (which resulted in him losing Pogba). Wenger who is widely hailed for his youth development wouldn't risk Wilshere until he proved himself on loan.

Liverpool's a prime example, last season Rodgers was given time so safe in the knowledge of that gave games to Sterling and Wisdom, now there is genuine expectation at Anfield to (at the very, very least) fight for a top 4 place, those two aren't getting a look in.

Southampton have stated that their aim is Champions League football, so that's a fair amount of pressure. They're also off to a pretty good start despite promoting youth, and it's not really a new thing with them.

Wilsere had one loan spell and was then put into the first team - we gave Nat a loan spell and then fucked him around at the start of this season.

Pogba at United is an example of what happens when you don't give youngsters a shot. Still, for that one example there are countless other examples of young players getting a shot at United (Januzaj being the latest) - I don't think we can say there isn't pressure of expectation at United can we?

Like I said, I like Witsel but £40 million for a guy who has never played in a top quality league is a bit of a risk and I also think it's another step in the wrong direction for what this club should be doing. At some point the academy needs to start contributing to the first-team in a meaningful way. Mourinho right now has more freedom to take risks than any manager has in almost a decade, but instead we're flitting between Lampard and Mikel once again.

Southampton have stated that their aim is Champions League football, so that's a fair amount of pressure. They're also off to a pretty good start despite promoting youth, and it's not really a new thing with them.

Wilsere had one loan spell and was then put into the first team - we gave Nat a loan spell and then fucked him around at the start of this season.

Pogba at United is an example of what happens when you don't give youngsters a shot. Still, for that one example there are countless other examples of young players getting a shot at United (Januzaj being the latest) - I don't think we can say there isn't pressure of expectation at United can we?

Like I said, I like Witsel but £40 million for a guy who has never played in a top quality league is a bit of a risk and I also think it's another step in the wrong direction for what this club should be doing. At some point the academy needs to start contributing to the first-team in a meaningful way. Mourinho right now has more freedom to take risks than any manager has in almost a decade, but instead we're flitting between Lampard and Mikel once again.

Speaking of Januzaj, didn't Moyes completely chicken out of playing him against Arsenal (i bet he won't get a single minute against a top 7 side this season).

Apart from Rafeal, i can't think of a regular that came through at United for a long time without needing/having a PL loan first, like Welbeck, Cleverly. They could have used there academy instead of splashing out for Jones and Smalling, but they didn't.

United are better at utilizing their academy for squad depth (but hopefully with us using Bertrand as a squad player the penny has started to drop) but in terms of developing stars from scratch, they have been just as bad as us since the turn of the millennium (if we credit them for Rooney and Ronaldo, then we should be credited for Robben).

The problem is that many fans here want impact players as they are too impatient with the group of young potential players we already have.

Speaking of Januzaj, didn't Moyes completely chicken out of playing him against Arsenal (i bet he won't get a single minute against a top 7 side this season).

Apart from Rafeal, i can't think of a regular that came through at United for a long time without needing/having a PL loan first, like Welbeck, Cleverly. They could have used there academy instead of splashing out for Jones and Smalling, but they didn't.

United are better at utilizing their academy for squad depth (but hopefully with us using Bertrand as a squad player the penny has started to drop) but in terms of developing stars from scratch, they have been just as bad as us since the turn of the millennium (if we credit them for Rooney and Ronaldo, then we should be credited for Robben).

Welbeck and Cleverley really aren't that good though. They were never at Pogba or Chalobah's level as youngsters, and they're destined for a career a la John O'Shea which is important (as you said) for squad depth. I can't think of a United academy prospect who was as good in defence as Phil Jones either.

I just wonder why we didn't give Nat Chalobah a chance. He impressed at Watford and his reward was a loan to a club in very much the same position. Now we're looking at signing a player who is good, but has never played in a league that is at the level of the Premier League. Yes he has Champions League experience and he's looked good at international level (with Kompany behind him and Hazard and De Bruyne in front of him) but why don't we look at the Pogba example and actually trust our young exceptional players?

the fact that we have a very wealthy owner explains why our youth are not getting a chance.Now don't get me wrong,I am not complaining or blaming Roman for the current academy situation at the club.It's just that when managers have the luxury to spend around 30m+ each transfer window, they then try to forget about the academy as they want already developed players who can make a quick impact.

Also the change of managers almost every season has made the situation worse.So now since we have Jose and know that he's here for the long run.splashing out money every season should not be an option.If Jose believes that our young players aren't good enough then that's just his decision and since no one can dispute it,we all will accept but since that really isn't the case,the young players should be given more insurance about their future at this club by gradually giving them chances.

We have spent a lot to get these players and develop them so I don't understand why the club overlook them for other players in the market.The only reason why they are being overlooked is because the other clubs are giving a CHANCE for their own players to showcase their talents.If we do the same and showcase the talent we have,then I am sure that other clubs and their fans will be drooling over the prospect of signing our players.

Welbeck and Cleverley really aren't that good though. They were never at Pogba or Chalobah's level as youngsters, and they're destined for a career a la John O'Shea which is important (as you said) for squad depth. I can't think of a United academy prospect who was as good in defence as Phil Jones either.

I just wonder why we didn't give Nat Chalobah a chance. He impressed at Watford and his reward was a loan to a club in very much the same position. Now we're looking at signing a player who is good, but has never played in a league that is at the level of the Premier League. Yes he has Champions League experience and he's looked good at international level (with Kompany behind him and Hazard and De Bruyne in front of him) but why don't we look at the Pogba example and actually trust our young exceptional players?

I am actually not to keen on signing Pogba because of Chalobah as the ages clash which you are right about, Witsel on the other hand is what 24/25? so by the time Chalobah is 23 Witsel will be approaching his 30's.

You are right in the point that Chalobah should have been playing PL football this season, whether that was for us or someone on loan, but i have no doubt he will make it here and will be our next long term captain in my book.

the fact that we have a very wealthy owner explains why our youth are not getting a chance.Now don't get me wrong,I am not complaining or blaming Roman for the current academy situation at the club.It's just that when managers have the luxury to spend around 30m+ each transfer window, they then try to forget about the academy as they want already developed players who can make a quick impact.

Also the change of managers almost every season has made the situation worse.So now since we have Jose and know that he's here for the long run.splashing out money every season should not be an option.If Jose believes that our young players aren't good enough then that's just his decision and since no one can dispute it,we all will accept but since that really isn't the case,the young players should be given more insurance about their future at this club by gradually giving them chances.

We have spent a lot to get these players and develop them so I see no reason why the club should overlook them for other players in the market.The only reason why they are being overlooked is because the other clubs are giving a CHANCE for their own players to showcase their talents.If we do the same and showcase the talent we have,then I am sure that other clubs and their fans will be drooling over the prospect of signing our players.

Roman's money plays a part in it yes, but at the same time most top clubs in Europe are very, very cautious with the whole youth thing these days. Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Tottenham have all got a poor record with their academy since the millennium.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You