New Chelsea Manager

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt Meireless would be a Chelsea player if AVB wasn't our manager. It has AVB signing all over it, and consider his connection and history with the player. Another signing Romeu is without a doubt a AVB recommendation. We also know we were interested in Alvaro Pereira, he would be Chelsea player if it wasn't for the steep price.Evidence strongly suggest AVB had major influence on transfers.

You still suggest that the club assembles the squad and then finds a manger to make it work. If that was the case then no manager would walk into the job. Sorry i have hard time believing AVB "the hottest young manager in the world" and managing his childhood club would leave his job for this proposition.

It makes a lot more sense that AVB would have power over the signings and his philosophy aligns with the club aspirations.

I don't think AVB firing changes the course of the club, i would expect the new manager to somewhat share AVB philosophy and playing style. That is not Capello he is the opposite. lol

We employ a director of football.

Note about managers and transfers:

I'm shocked that more people don't know this, but it's actually RARE that in a top team the manager is just given a sum of money and then makes whatever transfer(s) he wants (which is what most people assume since they play Fifa, PES and Football Manager this way.)

The top scout, DoF (if the team has one) etc. all have their part to say in each and every transfer and staff addition, and eventually, the manager is more like an idea-man who sees a player, thinks "Oh, he'd go well in my team", but then must run it by the members of the board to get their approval before making a formal move.

The board want to make sure the transfer is OK for the team in their eyes, won't damage the club's reputation, and most important of all; good for business.

Managers like Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson are very lucky to be in almost complete control of transfers.

The main top league where managers get the least say in transfers is Serie A.

Rarely will a manager have anything to do with negotiations, choosing his own players etc.

Juventus are a prime example. Antonio Conte will choose maybe 2 players that are to his liking (Pirlo and Vidal), get the board to approve + sanction the transfers, and then the board will make 3-or-so more signings by themselves and tell Conte: "Do your best with them. Make them work."

This is nothing new what we're doing. We're simply an Italian style club I guess.

Our owner is involved in everything.

We play defensive-counter-attacking football.

We don't have much patience when it comes to managers.

We don't use many homegrown players.

• We don't give our manager much control.

Take a look at Inter, AC Milan and Juventus, and then compare them with us. They have almost the exact same structure.

We were simply the first major team to do this in England.

Regardless who we get in, or if Di Matteo stays, the transfer policy will remain.

Note about managers and transfers:

I'm shocked that more people don't know this, but it's actually RARE that in a top team the manager is just given a sum of money and then makes whatever transfer(s) he wants (which is what most people assume since they play Fifa, PES and Football Manager this way.)

The top scout, DoF (if the team has one) etc. all have their part to say in each and every transfer and staff addition, and eventually, the manager is more like an idea-man who sees a player, thinks "Oh, he'd go well in my team", but then must run it by the members of the board to get their approval before making a formal move.

The board want to make sure the transfer is OK for the team in their eyes, won't damage the club's reputation, and most important of all; good for business.

Managers like Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson are very lucky to be in almost complete control of transfers.

The main top league where managers get the least say in transfers is Serie A.

Rarely will a manager have anything to do with negotiations, choosing his own players etc.

Juventus are a prime example. Antonio Conte will choose maybe 2 players that are to his liking (Pirlo and Vidal), get the board to approve + sanction the transfers, and then the board will make 3-or-so more signings by themselves and tell Conte: "Do your best with them. Make them work."

This is nothing new what we're doing. We're simply an Italian style club I guess.

Our owner is involved in everything.

We play defensive-counter-attacking football.

We don't have much patience when it comes to managers.

We don't use many homegrown players.

• We don't give our manager much control.

Take a look at Inter, AC Milan and Juventus, and then compare them with us. They have almost the exact same structure.

We were simply the first major team to do this in England.

Regardless who we get in, or if Di Matteo stays, the transfer policy will remain.

Good post. I do believe though that the club would give more freedom to our manager if he survived here for more then 3 years and had good results behind him. Wenger and Ferguson have proven themself a lot of times to have a large say in the club's policy since they've been there for so long.

As i have said before i don't buy this manager should get full control over transfer's.

If you took over a club with Kenny Dalglish or Rafa Benitez incharge with their record would you be happy to hand them over £150m and tell them to sign who they like?