Paul Pogba

Madmax

I'm not particularly in favour of this transfer for the reported prices, but I do think there is some substance to the rumours. It's especially interesting that Mourinho thinks Pogba was the best young player of the WC when he was undoubtedly outdone by James Rodriguez (https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/mourinho-best-world-cup-player-004405488.html).

There's also this:

https://twitter.com/CarefreeYouth/status/487595358718271488

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why this transfer make it sense:

Chelsea's signing of Atlético Madrid forward Diego Costa has gone a long way towards resolving their attacking issues. Their big Achilles' heel now isn't their strikers, but their midfield. Central midfielder Nemanja Matić looked excellent after rejoining the Blues in January, but their other options are either unproven or have been proven to be pretty average. By signing Pogba they'd instantly resolve their woes, with the Frenchman's incredible ability to dominate games both with and without the ball and his mobility across the pitch making him a great midfield partner for Matić. It's also safe to assume Pogba would be pretty up for joining Chelsea. Juventus are undoubtedly the biggest club in Italy at the moment, and he could probably sweep upscudetti with his eyes closed for as long as he stayed at the bianconeri. However, it's hard to see Juve pulling up trees in the Champions League, and moving to a bigger, better club with more realistic European hopes has an obvious appeal. Plus, there's the small matter of Pogba signing himself for Chelsea on Football Manager...

Pogba came to see Eminem at Wembley? So, that's it? :cry:

Yes, but also apparently managed to:

meet with Mourinho,

train in Cobham,

sign a deal,

take a dozen of photos with fans,

go shopping (possibly including a flat).......

All because of an Eminem concert? But wait for it fans, real climax coming soon...

Makes absolutely no sense to spend 50m or so on Pogba. Having said that though we should totally do it! ;)

20m for a 29yo left back who didn't make this Brazilian squad.

50m for a 21yo star of France and Juventus who's prob not even playing at his personal best...

Sounds about right to me.

Plus, signing Pogba, may put pressure on the other CMs to go look for greener pastures elsewhere.

£15 million for one of the best left-backs in Europe who didn't make the Brazilian squad because there's an unwritten rule that Thiago Silva is the only defender with actual defensive talent allowed to be selected.

Beyond that I agree that Pogba as a replacement for Ramires and Mikel (£25-30 million between them?) actually makes sense.

50m for a 21yo star of France and Juventus who's prob not even playing at his personal best...

Sounds about right to me.

Plus, signing Pogba, may put pressure on the other CMs to go look for greener pastures elsewhere.

Unfair comment about Luis. Just because Scolari didn't pick him it doesn't mean he is no good. I'm confident he can easily fill Marcelo's boots and deliver a better job.

£15 million for one of the best left-backs in Europe who didn't make the Brazilian squad because there's an unwritten rule that Thiago Silva is the only defender with actual defensive talent allowed to be selected.

Beyond that I agree that Pogba as a replacement for Ramires and Mikel (£25-30 million between them?) actually makes sense.

Brazil historically plays with attacking fullbacks... and occasionally with flamboyant CBs, but it's obvious the defense lacked balance esp with the 2-men midfield sitting in front. This has only worked when playing with 3 defenders and/or 3 sitting CMs (like in 02 which had both). Once again, not saying it's the right way to play... just one way to play. Balance is always needed though.

Ramires can be sold, but I doubt Mikel will want to leave, unless we cover part of his wages for a long time (until his current deal runs out).

Dudes, I didn't say he is no good because Scolari did not pick him... Just his call up wasn't that obvious that pundits and analysts did not fight for him... even freaking Maxwell went. Brazil Played 4231 with 2 attacking fullbacks! How crazy is that?

Pogba makes no sense unless we sell Oscar and use Cesc as #10, and so far, there have been no signs of us intending to sell Oscar. Oscar will have no place in the same team as Pogba and Fabregas. Alternating Oscar with Fabregas won't work all that well, because with Fabregas on the bench, we're back to square one--little creativity from midfield. Pogba is good, but he's no creative midfielder.

It's also worth remembering that Jose seems especially fond of Ramires. As much as I would have liked it, I doubt Ramires is going anywhere.

Remember what Jose told about Ramires:

"Ramires is staying at Chelsea. He's not for sale," Mourinho told Marca. "I have an excellent friendship with important people within Real Madrid and they know that Ramires is going to stay at Chelsea.

"Cesc is a great player who adds a new dimension to our side. He is different to Matic, Ramires and Oscar. We will have a very complete midfield with him."

Jose clearly thinks we have a "very complete midfield" already. And he's right. I would have liked having Pogba instead of Ramires, but I doubt it's happening. Our midfield is pretty good as it is. We have options, and I want Van Ginkel to be given a chance too.

Jose clearly thinks we have a "very complete midfield" already. And he's right. I would have liked having Pogba instead of Ramires, but I doubt it's happening. Our midfield is pretty good as it is. We have options, and I want Van Ginkel to be given a chance too.

jose also said that there is no way that luiz and mata will leave chelsea

Pogba makes no sense unless we sell Oscar and use Cesc as #10, and so far, there have been no signs of us intending to sell Oscar. Oscar will have no place in the same team as Pogba and Fabregas. Alternating Oscar with Fabregas won't work all that well, because with Fabregas on the bench, we're back to square one--little creativity from midfield. Pogba is good, but he's no creative midfielder.
It's also worth remembering that Jose seems especially fond of Ramires. As much as I would have liked it, I doubt Ramires is going anywhere.

Exactly this. There's no way the board will spend all that money bringing in Pogba and Cesc only for them not to be starters. So in a 433 you're looking at a first choice combo of Matic-Cesc-Pogba and even in a 4231 Cesc would be first choice in the 10 ahead of Oscar. So if Pogba were to come here, Oscar would see very little playing time in his preferred position.

But I really like the idea of having a dynamic runner next to Cesc. I think that kind of player would compliment him well but I honestly don't know if I trust Ramires. We should be looking to upgrade him. My hope is that during preseason, Van Ginkel can stake a strong claim. If Ramires is still going to be starting games for us then (in my opinion) our midfield hasn't improved all that much from last season.

The difference between the Cesc signing and this is that it made sense. This doesn't.

But that seems incredibly unlikely. The whole sum is 16m and that is shared between Juve and Torino, so it's 8m from Juve. And the settlement should be less than that obviously, so what? 4-6m? That's largely insignificant in a 60m transfer.

Dude I know you're a Juve fan and think the world of that team but think for a second. Pogba is destined to be a World Star, Juve are not equipped to offer him the sort of wages and exposure Chelsea, City, Madrid and give him, he's got two years left on his contract meaning if he doesn't re-sign this summer it puts Juve in a predicament. They either sell him to the highest bidder i.e Chelsea who they have priors with or run the risk of losing him for nothing or much less the following year.

The shared sum between Juve and Livorno(not Torino) is hard to discern. Some say Juve used them to get around the leagues restrictions, who the brunt of burden falls on is anyone's guess.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You