Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

The thing with City is that they end up with so much dead wood and not able to re-sell their players. Its something that Marina and co do very very well, in most cases, recouping £. I struggle to understand how financially they justify the spend on their books ie. £100m+ for Grealish and let's assume £100m+ for Kane, thats a huge amount. Whilst, yes, I know we spent £253m or so, but we had a transfer ban + made incredibly good sales inbetween.

If Grealish were any other nationality he’d be a £50m player at most. 

£100m is utterly absurd and he’s nowhere NEAR being worth that. And I don’t even see how he improves City’s first XI much. Slightly, yes. But a transfer record for a negligible improvement? 

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

£100m is utterly absurd and he’s nowhere NEAR being worth that. And I don’t even see how he improves City’s first XI much. Slightly, yes. But a transfer record for a negligible improvement? 

No kidding. We sold Tomori to Milan for only around 28 million (yes, there was a buy-out fee that was agreed on but we could have easily put a higher fee but didn't) while Brighton are selling White for 50 million.

100 fucking M's for that boy? WTF is wrong with people. He is a class B player for me thats for sure. How does City do it when they never sell anyone? Cuz they sponsor themselves. Let them blow their load on Grealish.......Make no mistake that CL loss hurt them big time and now Pep gonna do what he is so good at, spend till it clicks.

£100m is a bit much for me but thats the market. Obviously he’s English so thats adds 30m on top of what he would usually cost probably. Very good player for Villa, improved his goals and assists this season but still only got 6 league goals & 10 league assists.

Main problem he will have is will he be good at City where they have 65% of the ball and have to break teams down who double up on their wide players every game? A lot of the plaudits he gets for Villa is that he is able to get them up the pitch, very good on transitions on top of providing a moment of magic at times.

City don’t play like that though, on transitions, so it’ll be different for him plus you have to buy into the Pep way of getting the ball back and workout hard without it, Grealish is given a license to roam for Villa. Obviously he is great at taking the ball and beating players but the point that Graeme Souness mentioned last season re him taking too many touches/not releasing the ball, I suppose we will finally see if he goes there because they play lots of 1 and 2 touch combinations in and around the box. 

I really think Sancho would be a better fit for them and Grealish would be a much better fit at United tbf. Suppose depending on Ziyech we might be interested in one of those two yet as well. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

So if these strong, reputable links are to be believed we could see City sign Grealish and Kane, United sign Sancho and Varane, Arse sign Ben White and that lad from Belgium Lokonga, and Liverpool already secured that hulking CB from Leipzig.

All teams making smart buys that directly address their specific weaknesses. This next season is going to be insanely tough at the top of the table.

Hope we aren’t left scratching our balls and looking around like that Travolta gif at the end of the window after foolishly chasing unattainable targets all summer… 🙄

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

City overpaying for British talent. Some things never change.

Edited by LAM09

21 minutes ago, Pizy said:

So if these strong, reputable links are to be believed we could see City sign Grealish and Kane, United sign Sancho and Varane, Arse sign Ben White and that lad from Belgium Lokonga, and Liverpool already secured that hulking CB from Leipzig.

All teams making smart buys that directly address their specific weaknesses. This next season is going to be insanely tough at the top of the table.

Hope we aren’t left scratching our balls and looking around like that Travolta gif at the end of the window after foolishly chasing unattainable targets all summer… 🙄

Wouldn’t be too worried about Arsenal just yet. I mean their midfield alone if they sell Guendouezi, Xhaka, Torreira like being reported, it is going to be Partey, Elneny, possibly Lokonga and maybe Joe Willock (however that goes as Newcastle want to keep him). Partey is the only top player in that position. Not challenging top of the table with that as their options. Same for even if they sign Ben White, their options are Kieran Tierney, Gabriel, Rob Holding, Kolasinac, Cedric, Pablo Mari, Bellerin…. How many of them would actually good enough for a club like Arsenal? KT and Gabriel probably the only 2 and maybe Bellerin at a push. And is Ben White really that good like he’s going to go in and do what Dias, Laporte or van Dijk have done for City and Liverpool in recent seasons? Thats what they need. In attack their alright as they have some good players but you need more than an attack to compete. They are probably still another 2 good transfer windows off being really competitive again because that backline and midfield, the quality and depth isn’t there bar 3/4 players. And they wont be spending 200m+ this summer either.

11 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Wouldn’t be too worried about Arsenal just yet. I mean their midfield alone if they sell Guendouezi, Xhaka, Torreira like being reported, it is going to be Partey, Elneny, possibly Lokonga and maybe Joe Willock (however that goes as Newcastle want to keep him). Partey is the only top player in that position. Not challenging top of the table with that as their options. Same for even if they sign Ben White, their options are Kieran Tierney, Gabriel, Rob Holding, Kolasinac, Cedric, Pablo Mari, Bellerin…. How many of them would actually good enough for a club like Arsenal? KT and Gabriel probably the only 2 and maybe Bellerin at a push. And is Ben White really that good like he’s going to go in and do what Dias, Laporte or van Dijk have done for City and Liverpool in recent seasons? Thats what they need. In attack their alright as they have some good players but you need more than an attack to compete. They are probably still another 2 good transfer windows off being really competitive again because that backline and midfield, the quality and depth isn’t there bar 3/4 players. And they wont be spending 200m+ this summer either.

Oh, I’m certainly not worried about them. Just think they’re actually being smart. I really rate Ben White even thought like 90% of the comments I see from Arse fans on Twitter are slating him and calling him a massive waste of money.

Arse will be zero threat to the very top of the league no matter who they buy. But they should be improved.