Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

He shouldnt have gone to the Championship at all. He can start at many other PL clubs. That would be humiliation, signing a player for £18m then loaning them to the Championship, no way. I am sure he would be far to good for that league and think he can easily be a starter at many Premier League 'lower teams'

A humiliation are you for real mate?, how is it, a player who we spend 18 million on and doesn't give us anything in return is what will be the humiliation my friend.

However giving him a season in the Championship, which would be great for him, get him back to his scoring ways then send him on a loan to the Premier League.

You seem to forget he's 19 years old, Lukaku wont get games for us till he's at least 23, there's plenty of time yet, no need to rush things and drop him in the deep end. And i disagree, you think he can start for most clubs?, you obviously haven't seen his touches and other technical skills, he has to improve first.

No worries Sloth. At least he will get more credit at West Brom than throwing him in at the Bridge. At least will be forgiven to miss some chances at The Hawthorns :).

I know he's a good player, we just need to handle him right and take our time.

Look at De Bruyne, we let him stay in the belgium league for another 6 months and it helped, now he's off to Bundlesliga and by the looks of him he looks like he's about to tear up!. I expect a good season from De Bruyne, and Lukaku should get a season loan in the Championship to help him find his goal scoring instincts again, it's a much higher level than reserve games, then he can play in the premier league.

Dropping him in the premier league right away has a huge risk, and if he doesn't pay out then this can damage him mentally and ruin his potential. Everyone has to start off easy.

I'm surprised people are reading so much into that interview. To me, it seems like his words were deliberately interpreted in a way that would present him as a bitter character. I haven't seen the original interview, but I can imagine how if it were translated differently, it could make people sympathize with him rather than hate on him for being so selfish. Like say,

“I sacrificed a year of my career with them and didn’t want to put up with it any more. I am relieved to have found a solution."

This bit here. "Sacrificed"? "Didn't want to put up with it"? It seems a bit fishy to me. Unless this guy is the new Balotelli or he REALLY wants to leave the club, there's no way he would have used such words. And you should all know how the media like to make footballers look as one-dimensional as possible. You know, like Hazard is a narcissist who knows about nothing but himself, Cole and Sturridge are all about money, and Terry is a no-good scumbag, and all he ever does is fuck other people's wives. Haters can do anything pretty much. They can make Lukaku look like an arrogant and bitter son of a bitch just by twisting words around a little when what he probably meant to say was he was disappointed with having played no part in our campaign last season despite having high hopes when he joined us.

About Lukaku, well he played a decent game tonight. Decent, not great. He scored against Holland, but let's be honest, 99% of that goal was just Dries Mertens' genious. Lukaku COULDN'T have missed that goal.

About Lukaku, well he played a decent game tonight. Decent, not great. He scored against Holland, but let's be honest, 99% of that goal was just Dries Mertens' genious. Lukaku COULDN'T have missed that goal.

Other than that, he had good positioning, showed speed, you could see he had no problems overpowering defenders (it was nice to see him play with his back to the goal) and he was eager to play. He only played the last 35 minutes or so, but played decent.

He had an awful ball touch or three during the game, but of those three kept the ball in two occasions. I see improvement in his ball handling, although I still consider it weak. Then again I might be biased, I've never liked Lukaku when he was in the Belgian league because Anderlecht is our rival team. I must admit sometimes his ball handling was very nice, like that chest control slash pass to (I'm not sure) Witsel or KdB. He was also good in catching high passes or crosses just outside or even slightly inside the box.

Not to bash you or anything but I thought the Sporza vids can only be viewed with a Belgian ISP number, so the abroad Chelsea fans can't see the goal? Not sure though because I have a Belgian ISP so it works for me.

Not to bash you or anything but I thought the Sporza vids can only be viewed with a Belgian ISP number, so the abroad Chelsea fans can't see the goal? Not sure though because I have a Belgian ISP so it works for me.

it showed fine ... was a finish I think I could have managed or even Kalou

I know he's a good player, we just need to handle him right and take our time.

Look at De Bruyne, we let him stay in the belgium league for another 6 months and it helped, now he's off to Bundlesliga and by the looks of him he looks like he's about to tear up!. I expect a good season from De Bruyne, and Lukaku should get a season loan in the Championship to help him find his goal scoring instincts again, it's a much higher level than reserve games, then he can play in the premier league.

Dropping him in the premier league right away has a huge risk, and if he doesn't pay out then this can damage him mentally and ruin his potential. Everyone has to start off easy.

I can follow you!

Maybe a straight loan would have been better for Romelu when he signed with us a last summer. But that wasn't possible anymore since he had played for 2 clubs in one season.

De Bruyne's way looks a better option indeed. I'm curious about his performances in the Bundesliga. He's is very big talent and I'm sure he will find his games to shine! Looking forward to his season.

Lukaku's level is too high for the reserves, scoring 8 goals in 10 games or so... The Championship would have been a safer option. But I think that Romelu himself was very eager to go to another EPL club instead of going down a league. He's confident and wants to prove himself. This IMO is the right attitude for a young striker! Let's hope his confidence will not get another slap if he starts with a few bad games at West Brom. A risk worth taking maybe... because a good start could really launch his Premier League's career!

Good luck to the big guy B)

About Lukaku, he played a decent game tonight. Decent, not great. He scored against Holland, but let's be honest, 99% of that goal was just Dries Mertens' genious. Lukaku COULDN'T have missed that goal.

Other than that, he had good positioning, showed speed, you could see he had no problems overpowering defenders (it was nice to see him play with his back to the goal) and he was eager to play. He only played the last 35 minutes or so, but played decent.

He had an awful ball touch or three during the game, but of those three kept the ball in two occasions. I see improvement in his ball handling, although I still consider it weak. Then again I might be biased, I've never liked Lukaku when he was in the Belgian league because Anderlecht is our rival team. I must admit sometimes his ball handling was very nice, like that chest control slash pass to (I'm not sure) Witsel or KdB. He was also good in catching high passes or crosses just outside or even slightly inside the box.

I actually don't know what the deal is with the Sporza vids. Most of the world can actually see them without any problems. I think the might get a fail message in the USA or Australia...

Anyways.. this is the fastest way to keep our UK (and other European) bro's updated about our lad's performances.

Non europeans feel free to share who's able/not able to see this vids.

Euhm, Lukaku was really good tonight against The Netherlands. The difference with Benteke was night and day. Really 'weighed' on the Dutch defence. The Lukaku I saw today is an every week starter at WBA for sure. Question is, can he maintain this level...

But really impressed, because, to be honest, even I was having doubts about him. But today he proved me that he's still a top talent. And no Belgian league defenders nonsense this time. Heitinga and Mathijsen are of a higher level than that.

The excuse of he still is a boy is ridicules!

Cause Piazon is still a boy and looks way better then this overpriced, over hyped Belgium player!

Was just another of those buy where a team wants to get the next messi, next Drogba, next ronalda, etc etc.

Cause Piazon is still a boy and looks way better then this overpriced, over hyped Belgium player!

Was just another of those buy where a team wants to get the next messi, next Drogba, next ronalda, etc etc.

I don't think it's an excuse but rather a statement suggesting that players mature at different rates.

The whole deal with Lukaku is that his ceiling is so high that if he does fully develop he can be a dominant target man.

Of course that's the real question can he develop will he develop and how much will he develop.

That's why there was such a market for him as there aren't a whole lot of strikers in the world that are built like a NFL linebacker with immense speed.

I'm not sure why people are coming so quick to judge him. He's always been a riskier longer term developing talent but the reward could be massive as in a 20+ goal scorer for Chelsea on a yearly basis.

I don't think Piazon has that type of ceiling and there'c certainly nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's an excuse but rather a statement suggesting that players mature at different rates.

The whole deal with Lukaku is that his ceiling is so high that if he does fully develop he can be a dominant target man.

Of course that's the real question can he develop will he develop and how much will he develop.

That's why there was such a market for him as there aren't a whole lot of strikers in the world that are built like a NFL linebacker with immense speed.

I'm not sure why people are coming so quick to judge him. He's always been a riskier longer term developing talent but the reward could be massive as in a 20+ goal scorer for Chelsea on a yearly basis.

I don't think Piazon has that type of ceiling and there'c certainly nothing wrong with that.

So we are buying him cause he is built like a brick?

Yes I was right, another Heskey!

So we are buying him cause he is built like a brick?

Yes I was right, another Heskey!

No, he was bought because he has scored more goals at his age than anyone except Ronaldo and his celing is incredibly high.

Like I said way too early to judge whether he's Drogba or Emile Heskey or somewhere in between.

He hasn't had a chance to play on a consistent basis since he joined Chelsea the loan to WBA should give him that chance and we'll see at what level he at after this year.

My guess is that he goes to WBA this year and Fulham in year two if he needs a bit more maturation and then if he develops he'll be playing a large role for Chelsea at age 21.

Euhm, Lukaku was really good tonight against The Netherlands. The difference with Benteke was night and day. Really 'weighed' on the Dutch defence. The Lukaku I saw today is an every week starter at WBA for sure. Question is, can he maintain this level...

But really impressed, because, to be honest, even I was having doubts about him. But today he proved me that he's still a top talent. And no Belgian league defenders nonsense this time. Heitinga and Mathijsen are of a higher level than that.

Heitinga and Mathijsen were subbed by the time Lukaku came on, those were Eredevisie defenders.

A humiliation are you for real mate?, how is it, a player who we spend 18 million on and doesn't give us anything in return is what will be the humiliation my friend.

However giving him a season in the Championship, which would be great for him, get him back to his scoring ways then send him on a loan to the Premier League.

You seem to forget he's 19 years old, Lukaku wont get games for us till he's at least 23, there's plenty of time yet, no need to rush things and drop him in the deep end. And i disagree, you think he can start for most clubs?, you obviously haven't seen his touches and other technical skills, he has to improve first.

I don't think he would be benefit at all in the Championship. Unlike Mceachran, Lukaku has the power, pace and is more suited in the PL at this moment of time. I reckon Lukaku could easily be a starter at Wigan, Reading, Sunderland, Southampton etc. I agree with you that we shouldnt rush things but the boy has got clear potential and hopefully he improves on those aspects down at WBA

When you make a strong statement like "The excuse of he still is a boy is ridicules!" your support has to be stronger than that Piazon seems a better player than Lukaku after less than 90 minutes of football with the senior side. You don't even know how Piazon will turn out for us until he plays a few proper games for us. It's a bit absurd to conclude so soon that Piazon won't need a "He's a kid" excuse as well, don't you think?

Except that it wasn't Heitinga and Mathijsen ... you would have known because they would actually challenge him in a high ball and he wouldn't have controlled any of them. It seemed like he was playing against kids again with all respect to Viergever who I actually rate very high.

Lukaku's problem is that he never spend enough time on his technical abilities because he could just overpower everyone in the youth even though he was playing against elder opponents, he was a BEAST. He was 100kg of pure muscle when he arrived at Chelsea. It will take some time before he's any good but the potential is surely there, although I don't believe in letting him lose all his muscles, he doesn't need to be another Sturridge and this for me is why he hasn't done so well as expected.