Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

tried to say that yesterday and got shouted down.. If we leave him in Spain he will never get here

Well all I can say is mate is let's see what happens next season if Cech gets a layoff or suffers a loss of form like this season? We then have to bring in mediocrity & lose yet more ground on the likes of City because we don't have the quality to replace him - 25 points behind them is just not good enough for a club of our stature nowadays, as I said we need 2 players of quality for each position, Courtois will gives us the security, confidence & belief on his return that you cannot associate with any keepers at the club at present.

We will have to wait & see what the future brings but those that have a different opinion to ours, including club hierarchy (if he stays at AM) will have to eat a very large slice of humble pie if it goes wrong with a back up keeper next season & we finish out of the top 4 again..........let's see what their views will be then?!

Seems like it's sure now that he stays at AM next season! I like his sobriety. Indeed he is young and he needs to play. He won the Europa League and played a perfect season.

Maybe would've prefered to see him in the EPL... but I can understand that he feels great in Madrid (certainly after winning the cup)!

The only worry I have... If he has another season like this, chances are he will never get back to London.

There is a big part of me that wants Courtois to be our number one at the start of next season. Give him a couple of games in pre-season and see if its worth taking the risk. He can easily be one of the best goalkeepers in the world. And with Cech's form, what the hell!

How many teenagers can say both of their clubs got to a European club competition final in the same season? That's been the scenario for Thibaut Courtois, signed by Chelsea last July from Genk and then packed off in a flash on loan to Atletico Madrid.

thibautcourtoisceleb_275x155.jpg

GettyImagesThibaut Courtois has made 52 appearances for Atletico Madrid in all competitions this season

The Belgian, who turned 20 two days after the Europa League final, has certainly looked like he belongs at the very top level in this campaign. Replacing David de Gea at the Estadio Vicente Calderon after his move to Manchester United, Courtois hasn't missed a beat. He's played all but one league match this season, and has impressed hugely with his sharp reactions and his sheer presence.

"It's like a dream that's become reality," he told ESPN in the aftermath of Atletico's Europa League final victory over much-lauded domestic rivals Athletic Bilbao. At that point, Atletico could even have sneaked fourth spot in La Liga, and a Champions League place, though Malaga's last day win against Sporting Gijon kept them in fifth place.

That would have provided another twist in Courtois' strange season, with the possibility of Atletico making it back into the Champions League and Chelsea missing out. "It's true," he said. "It's a strange thought." Yet it is clear where his focus lies for now. "Atletico is my club, this year and I think for the next year too, because I really hope to stay here."

As nice as playing every week is, Courtois' mood reflects the positive atmosphere around Atletico since former player Diego Simeone's arrival as coach at Christmas, which has "changed everything", according to the goalkeeper. "We play with a lot more aggressiveness," he pointed out, "and with a strong attitude. That we're here, winning, is thanks to him."

Certainly few would have fancied Atletico's chances of a second Europa League win in three years in the dying embers of Gregorio Manzano's reign. Even a few weeks ago, just as few would have rated Atletico's chances of beating Marcelo Bielsa's thrilling Athletic, who dumped Manchester United out of the competition with such élan.

"It was difficult because they attacked a lot for the first part of the match," Courtois said, "but we defended well and know how to make the most of our chances on the counter-attack. It's very tough against a team that pushes six or seven players forward, but we dealt with it well. All of us, all of the players played a perfect match, I think, especially Diego who played very well, and - naturally - a very good Falcao."

Much as Atletico have improved under new management, it is clear that having a trustworthy goalkeeper and a marksman like Radamel Falcao could easily cover a multitude of sins. "He's a great player of course," Courtois said, "but the rest of the team helps him. We know if we can give him the chances, he can do whatever it takes to score."

Had erstwhile Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas' debut season at his new club gone as well as that of Courtois then the Belgian and his prolific team-mate could both have been making the move to London this summer. The Portuguese never hid his admiration of Falcao, a key player in his Porto side that were the 2011 Europa League winners. Meanwhile, rumour persisted that he was sufficiently impressed by Courtois to bring him back from the Spanish capital with a view to replacing Petr Cech at the Bridge.

thibautcourtoisatleticomadridunveiling_275x155.jpg

GettyImagesThibaut Courtois signed for Atletico Madrid on loan after being bought by Chelsea from Genk

Luckily, Courtois, who won his first full international cap against France in November, is happy to bide his time. Besides, Chelsea certainly haven't forgotten about him. "The goalkeeping coach (Christophe Lollichon, previously Cech's goalkeeping coach at Rennes) has been over to see me a few times," he recounted. "He's been following me very closely and he wants me back over at Chelsea for a while to do some work there."

The approachable Cech has stayed in the background, preferring to let the youngster express himself. "I saw him once and we talked a bit," Courtois said, "but I see Lollichon and speak to him and he tells me what Cech thinks about my performances and his ideas - so even if it's not direct, I get to know what he's thinking."

Courtois would enjoy a trip to Munich to cheer on his other club, but he is firmly focused on the present. "Normally I would, but Atletico have a trip to Colombia," he said. "Chelsea's my club too, so I'd like to wish Chelsea all the luck in the world for the Champions League. I've had a message from Cech and (Lollichon) telling me how happy they are to be there, and of course I follow how they're getting on. I really hope they win."

You get the feeling that Courtois has Champions League finals of his own waiting for him further down the line. If he continues his current rate of progression, this impressive season will rank as little more than a footnote in a stellar career.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/1071364/brassell:-future%27s-bright-for-blues---thibaut-courtois-interview?cc=4716

There is a big part of me that wants Courtois to be our number one at the start of next season. Give him a couple of games in pre-season and see if its worth taking the risk. He can easily be one of the best goalkeepers in the world. And with Cech's form, what the hell!

Dafuq? Cech has been our best player since Di Matteo took over, edging out Ramires.

Courtois sends shudders down the back of my neck. We could have here the greatest keeper of all time. Say that again and feel those goosebumps, greatest of all time. He could be better than Kahn, better than Yashin, better than Banks. He will certainly be better than Cech, and that's saying something as Cech is probably the best keeper of his generation.

I also don't understand the "he'll be out of here" talk. We are the second richest club in the world. No one is going to make us an offer we can't say no to. He's only a keeper (sorry Alex :P), no one will pay more than 30-40 million for him and thats peanuts for us as a club. He'll be a Blue for life, like Cech, I think.

Dafuq? Cech has been our best player since Di Matteo took over, edging out Ramires.

Courtois sends shudders down the back of my neck. We could have here the greatest keeper of all time. Say that again and feel those goosebumps, greatest of all time. He could be better than Kahn, better than Yashin, better than Banks. He will certainly be better than Cech, and that's saying something as Cech is probably the best keeper of his generation.

I also don't understand the "he'll be out of here" talk. We are the second richest club in the world. No one is going to make us an offer we can't say no to. He's only a keeper (sorry Alex :P), no one will pay more than 30-40 million for him and thats peanuts for us as a club. He'll be a Blue for life, like Cech, I think.

1. not sure where you got we are the second richest club in the world,(Deloitte placed us 6th)

2 He could run down his contract

3 He could be enjoying life in Spain ,

4 In 2 years at most Real and Barca will be sniffing around .

those are things worrying me.

1. not sure where you got we are the second richest club in the world,(Deloitte placed us 6th)

2 He could run down his contract

3 He could be enjoying life in Spain ,

4 In 2 years at most Real and Barca will be sniffing around .

those are things worrying me.

2nd richest as in we can outspend anyone and money is no object to us. He could run it down, yes, but how many years has he got left? Yes he may like it in Spain but he's never tried life in England so we can't be sure if he doesn't like it. We can resist those two clubs' advances, and besides, he's not Latin, he's not going to have a 'dream' to play for them like Ronaldo did, or want to 'go home' like Pique and Fabregas.

Of course there is one easy solution to all of this, give him perhaps 15 games a season. Rotate the GK position a bit, he won't be happy with just keeping when Cech can't play and in the Carling Cup/FA Cup fixtures. Cech needs to be put on notice that one mistake will mean he'll lose his spot and have to earn it back in training. Thibaut needs to be told that the GK spot is up for grabs even if it might not be. Or we can give him a very rewarding contract.

we have played 60 games this season , If you look back I suggested early in this thread that he could be given 20 -25 games with Cech getting 35 -40

the big advantages would be

1 keeping him away from the Spanish vultures

2 getting him used to playing in the PL

3 getting him used to playing with OUR defenders.

Hmm. 38 in the Premiership, 13 in the CL, 5 in the Carling Cup and 6 in the FA Cup assuming we make the final of each competition. I guess we could divide that up like so:

10 Premier League matches, 3 CL matches, 5 each in the two cups for Thibaut- 23 starts.

28 Premier League matches and 10 CL matches, the FA Cup semi final and Final for Petr- 40 starts.

As a goalkeeper though the only thing that will matter to him is game time. Man City or the two Spanish clubs could offer him that but we can't until Petr hangs up his gloves, which is still probably 8 seasons away. I think Cech can still be amongst the best in the world until 2018, it would be foolish to let him go before that unless we are 100% certain Courtois is better than him.

Another thing, we've got quite a few Belgians here. de Bruyne, Lukaku, maybe Thibaut will feel more at home with his countrymen :)

Well unless we actually play his fellow Belgians, how on earth will he feel at home?

I bet if we actually gave Lukaku some game-time against the lesser teams of the EPL (instead of persisting with the flop Torres)...he might of been able to convince Hazard to join Chelsea...rather than go to Manchester.

Well unless we actually play his fellow Belgians, how on earth will he feel at home?

I bet if we actually gave Lukaku some game-time against the lesser teams of the EPL (instead of persisting with the flop Torres)...he might of been able to convince Hazard to join Chelsea...rather than go to Manchester.

Because there is more to a week than 90 minutes of football? This whole thing about Lukaku not being able to joinHazard to join is just a way to justify the fact that Hazard doesn't want to join Chelsea. I'm sick of it really.