Chelsea Sack Andre Villas-Boas

As for a revolution or not...The question is what kind of tactics he's going to employ...

He says he's an admirer of Pep...so does that mean he's going to implement necessarily free flowing football? It may work fine in Porto or in Europe but the championship is a different matter

Scolari tried doing something similar with us and failed...but then again he was an old grouse...

As for a squad overhaul...don't see it happening really... 1 or 2 old players leaving and 2-3 new ones coming in....that's my guess...

Then again as long as its a quality squad at the end of the day,it should suit AVB fine...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Roman will give him power to controle everything a manager is supposed to controle.Transfers,youth development,staff...Things our ex-managers weren't been enabled to do.smile.gif

Maybe this big release clause will prevent him being sacked the way Carlo was.wink.gif

To me changing managers is not a big deal . every other European Clubs have been changing managers every now and then in last 30-40 years. Only Utd , Arsenal and Liverpool are the exception. Out side england we don't see a "manager's dynasty" kind of things. exceptions are there like Trapaottoni at Juve , Carlo at Milan Cruyeff at Barca. But changing managers is not the worst thing. And at chelsea I think there are valid reasons behind sacking managers in the past. Do not blame Roman much.

I'm hoping for a revolution. We need some new players, and we need to get rid of some of the old, like Malouda, Kalou, Anelka etc. I hope we start playing good football, and every match all the players give 110% unlike some parts of last season. And lastly i hope that Abramovich will give Villas-Boas time to develop a new team, his own team and not the team giving to him, if it means not winning the League for a couple of years then so be it.

I said yesterday that AVB would not of been my choice as I would of preferred Jose but I will add that I am more confident about his appointment than I have been about all the managers we've had since Jose's departure & yes that does include a double CL winner in Ancelotti who I had reservations about his lack of success in winning league titles.

This guy does excite me & the last manager that did that was when Jose was installed so I hope that's a good omen.

Imho if AVB is to be a success then a number of factors have to change starting with Roman letting him run things HIS WAY & I mean from top to bottom which is exactly what Jose wanted before things went wrong under Romans interference. Next is his ability to manage big ego's & not be like Ancelotti & be afraid to drop them when they clearly need a kick up the 'arris' to get them back on track. I think we will all be interested in who he decides to bring in & sell, for me this is key to us improving our style & getting us back to winning & therefore the confidence will come with it. Lastly I will be intrigued to see what formation he chooses & how often he will change it.

His first job will be to get Torres playing like the world class player he is, AVB knows that if we give him the service (which was distinctly lacking last season) then we will be one step further up the ladder to success. Torres needs an arm round him, some of the other players need their confidence returned, others fitness issues, I think he will go in & will have a plan already mapped out - he is that methodical.

For me he ticks all the boxes bar a tiny negative in experience, the one thing that worries me as always is Romans meddling, however I think we have the right man at last but will reserve some judgement until I see how he sets about my concerns above.

Thumbs up though & for the first time in 5 seasons I am really looking forward to it with so much optimism.

Guest justin_3d

Make that 3. I aint gonna jizz my pants just yet. When Mou joined it was thought to be a new revolution and that Chelsea by next decade will be the biggest club and will paint the world blue and will be the biggest brand, etc etc. What happened? Mou got fired, we hired and fired 4 managers in 5 seasons after that. Won only 3 titles while Manchester united won 4 and a champions league.

Untill Roman and his chums learn from their mistakes I don't see a new revolution. If the board keeps interfering after every successful season like they have in past then it will be more of the same.

Our squad under mourinho was built to dominate the next decade and it all went tits up when we fired the best manager on the planet.

He was fired because of his negative football.

AVB is being hired because he is a better tactician then Carlo, and plays better football then Mourinho.

Any more simpler then that it can't get. We won thanks to Mourinho, but the club, and the owner want to see a great spectacle a la Barcelona, and Mourinho will never give that.

It is why AVB is the only man for Roman after Guus.

I really do not think this guy is that much of a risk to be honest, the records he broke was just ridicolous and the year before he took Portugal's version of Derby 07/08 to mid table safety, how much would this country have raved about a manager if they did the same with that Derby team? (took them to 11th when they looked doomed).

Then he went to Porto and the records he broke were just ridiculous, unbeaten season, only 3 draws to boot, only lost twice in all comps and they were in 2 legged ties they went through in anyway so if you class a 2 leg tie as one match he didn't really lose at-all, broke all of Jose's records and he did not do to bad here did he?

Also it was apparently him that saw Rjkard enter Frisk's dressing room and also in another Barca game had a altercation with the same man, he is pretty volitale when he wants to be and will not hesitate to have a go at the players if need be aswelll as be a "freind" to them.

The perfect appointment i think.

I'm pretty sure we'll stick with 4-3-3. Andre played it with Porto pretty well.

It pretty lopsided with your RCF playing close to the centre and LCF hugging the touchline while bothe the fullbacks bombing forward.

I just hope He has a plan B and C up his sleeves.

Those of you who don't know, it was AVB who almost got involved in a brawl with Rijkaard during the height of our rivalry with Barca. Apparently it was AVB who noticed Rijkaard approaching Frisk and told Jose about it

We are sure to see some fireworks from this guy

Yeah, he looks quite animated on the sidelines - we haven't had someone like that since Jose. A journalist tweeted (@honigstein) today that at the final whistle in the first Barca Champions League game, AVB threw his chewing gum at Henk ten Cate - a future Chelsea assistant - at the final whistle!