Chelsea Sack Andre Villas-Boas

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while in the dressing room a number of players - notably Petr Cech, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba - are entering the twilight of their careers.

This makes me laugh, Cech is a goalkeeper who hasn't hit 30 yet for fuck sake.

One of the latest articles from the bbc, submitted 12 minutes ago...

Why Andre Villas-Boas is right for Chelsea

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/13867137.stm

In the boardroom he will have to please the club's hire 'em and fire 'em billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, while in the dressing room a number of players - notably Petr Cech, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba - are entering the twilight of their careers.

What moron wrote this. Petr Cech has just turned 29 which is very young for a goalkeeper and Terry is 30 which isn't exactly the twilight years of his career.

What is with this thing in the media where they want to paint the whole Chelsea squad as old? They're even calling late 20s old now! <_<

What moron wrote this. Petr Cech has just turned 29 which is very young for a goalkeeper and Terry is 30 which isn't exactly the twilight years of his career.

What is with this thing in the media where they want to paint the whole Chelsea squad as old? They're even calling late 20s old now! <_<

Whats even more ridiculous is Gerrard and Ferdinand are older yet there still "on the top of their game".

I am just hoping Roman won't sack him if we didn't win anything in the first year. That would be very stupid.

Revolution - yes, but i think we can't expect that he will win anything in 1st season. Like someone said, Rome wasn't built in a day :)

I am just hoping Roman won't sack him if we didn't win anything in the first year. That would be very stupid.

Revolution - yes, but i think we can't expect that he will win anything in 1st season. Like someone said, Rome wasn't built in a day :)

Or we could win the treble. :whistling:

He was fired because of his negative football.

AVB is being hired because he is a better tactician then Carlo, and plays better football then Mourinho.

Any more simpler then that it can't get. We won thanks to Mourinho, but the club, and the owner want to see a great spectacle a la Barcelona, and Mourinho will never give that.

It is why AVB is the only man for Roman after Guus.

No he didn't, Mourinho got sacked because of a disagreement with Roman about playing players such as Shevchenko, and because results weren't going our way and we were playing poorly.

At the moment I'm waiting for us to finish with the backroom staff to form an opinion. Hiring AVB came to me a surprise, giving up on Guus was a shock.

While André Villas-Boas is a bet that has the potential pay off better than Mourinho for us or Guardiola for Barcelona* (Because I do believe that AVB is exceptionally gifted) his success will largely depend not only on his own work but also on the backing and the support his gets from the club.

As neel pointed out expecting every new managed to build a dynasty and believing that someone fresh in the job could stay for over 10 years is naive and a rare (possibly abnormal) occurrence in football. Therefore this sought after continuity, stability and most importantly creating a club identity/philosophy must be achieved through people who have more responsibilities and more power than a Chelsea manager.

Getting a Director of Football, a proven genius like Hiddink nonetheless, was always more important to me than hiring a manager. Without one the chances of this new football beginning being successful are completely dependent (/reliant?) on the skills of a relatively inexperienced man and on whether the club (Roman, Gourlay, Buck, Pini, Marina, The Boardetc) have learned anything from their mistakes over the past 8 years and are genuinely determined on running the club in a different way.

I'm sure I could have phrased this post much better but I hope it makes sense.

*in terms of improvement, not success

Hopefully.

But i think this will be determined upon whether roman and the board are willing to give AVB much more authority , including transfers and coaching staff or he is another "just a coach" .

The departure of Malouda , Anelka , Kalou , Ferrera , Zhirkov and Drogba is highly recommended , we will get around 40 - 45 millions for them , will decrease the wages and more importantly will move a step closer towards changing our game play .

Add another 55 millions to those 45 and use those 100 millions to get a decent playmaker (Modric / Pastore) , and 2 pacy tricky wingers (neymar / Sanchez / Hazard / Hulk / Mata)

Sell 6 and get 3? We already have a small squad. But I see your point. We should just have them on lower wages, let some of them go, has to be a gradual transition, otherwise we'll end up with 17man squad including youngsters

New era definately

Guest justin_3d

No he didn't, Mourinho got sacked because of a disagreement with Roman about playing players such as Shevchenko, and because results weren't going our way and we were playing poorly.

Bad football!

Had he won the CL it would have saved him. But he did not, and was playing bad. Hence got the boot.

If AVB can do the same but play good football, he will stay for long.

Welcome and good luck Andre. Personally, I've been hoping Guus will return, but I feel this was not a bad move at all. Definitely better than bringing Harry Redknap, Mark Hughes or Rafael Benitez (God forbid!) like some reports suggested.

As for rumours that Falcao and Moutinho will come in... I don't know. Both are solid players, no question, but I'd rather see Sneijder and Aguero instead. Along with Neymar. biggrin.gif