• Pedro
    • Pulisic
    • Giroud
    • Mount (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Tomori (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)

I don't care about pens.
It's part of the game, it's make or break (e.g. Eintracht) but it's a random thing - we could just  as easily lose to Aston Villa on penalties.
The team showed some considerable qualities yesterday, against the nominally strongest opposition in Europe.

11 hours ago, Vesper said:

that is not VAR Iggy

that's the linesman keeping the flag down until the play is completed

I watch a tonne of other leagues so I am used to it

Yes but that's the frustrating part you score you start jumping up and down like a tit and then the goal's disallowed for something that happened a good few seconds previous. I'm not a fan of VAR at all human error is part of sport and you'll have things go for and against you.

20 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

damn Matip and van Dijk have been absolute walls this game.

I don't think Liverpool defended well as a team, but the individual quality of their defenders got them out of trouble repeatedly. I thought all four of their starters did a lot of good things last night despite being exposed time and again by their poorly deployed high line.

48 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Yes but that's the frustrating part you score you start jumping up and down like a tit and then the goal's disallowed for something that happened a good few seconds previous. I'm not a fan of VAR at all human error is part of sport and you'll have things go for and against you.

I never believed that VAR would work but I always felt it should be tried. I have to say that, despite teething troubles, the system looks like it might prove me wrong. I think they are getting most of it right and I am 100% in favour of delaying the offside decision until the action has reached its conclusion. I'm convinced this is exactly the right way to do it and that we are all just going to have to get used to it.

Let's be generous and say that most of the time offside flags are accurate. Even so, all of us can remember far too many good goals being ruled out by incorrect flags. Far better to let the play go on, the chance be converted or missed, and then assess the offside. Obviously when it's clear to the naked eye, officials should flag immediately but, if there is any room for doubt, play on and let the technology sort it out a few seconds later.