Super Frank Thread

Mourinho said it perfectly on sky and it's a problem we have had all preseason. We don't attack or defend as a team (he said "block")

When we defend, we defend with 6 whilst Pedro, mount and Barkley stay up. When we press it's the reverse with our front 4 pressing.

If we are going to press high, fine, but the whole team has to be compact high.
There's huge disconnect between the front 4 and the 6 further back and has been all summer. If frank can't sort this out I hope he adapts and becomes more pragmatic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Robchels said:

hmm you talk as if our starting XI was not filled with national team starters. When Rudiger is back, both him and Andreas start for their respective national teams. Azpi is selectable on the right - only Emerson is not in contention for Brazil. Zouma is poor, but Lampard was behind Luiz departure, so...

In midfield all three players are strong internationals, one being a key player for the last World Champion. The striker, who bizarrely did not start today was also in that same winning WC side. Ross Barkley starts for England and has given good performances so far.

Yes, once we go into wingers and AM, we are lacking, even considering Willian as an international as well. But let's not pretend we aren't a lot stronger than the vast majority of the PL teams. So, yes, Lampard should be given time, but he also needs to do better and adjust accordingly. For example, if he does not have the quality to keep possession, then don't. If the defenders are lacking at the moment protect them by having more defensive mids in the lineup, not more attackers/wingers.

Wasn't the main criticism of Sarri how inflexible he was?

Like your post and the points you make. Just to clarifty, Emerson represents Italy and has been selected a couple of times this year.

13 hours ago, Robchels said:

hmm you talk as if our starting XI was not filled with national team starters. When Rudiger is back, both him and Andreas start for their respective national teams. Azpi is selectable on the right - only Emerson is not in contention for Brazil. Zouma is poor, but Lampard was behind Luiz departure, so...

In midfield all three players are strong internationals, one being a key player for the last World Champion. The striker, who bizarrely did not start today was also in that same winning WC side. Ross Barkley starts for England and has given good performances so far.

Yes, once we go into wingers and AM, we are lacking, even considering Willian as an international as well. But let's not pretend we aren't a lot stronger than the vast majority of the PL teams. So, yes, Lampard should be given time, but he also needs to do better and adjust accordingly. For example, if he does not have the quality to keep possession, then don't. If the defenders are lacking at the moment protect them by having more defensive mids in the lineup, not more attackers/wingers.

Wasn't the main criticism of Sarri how inflexible he was?

Pulisic is a starter for the US team, and the best American footballer on the planet. Pedro has 64 caps for Spain. Both our GK'ers are starters, at least part-time, for their national teams. RLC, Mount and CHO both play and/or have started for England. Omeruo and Baba and Moses  and other loan army members start for their national teams. Hell, Zouma has even started a game for France and had 5 National team trophies. Bats starts for Belgium. Even Tammy has twice been called up for England. Zappa and Emerson for Italy, etc. Hell, Bakayoko has played for France, lolol.

The only 3 players on the 25 main roster who have no international senior call ups are Cumming, Reece (soon to change), and Kenedy (he would be a starter for over 100 nations.)

I'm very interested to see what Lampard does with the defence moving forward. This isn't just a Lampard problem, Sarri had the same issues last year - we rode our luck so much early in the season until Spurs ripped us apart and then we had the drubbings off City and Bournemouth. After that Sarri allowed the defence to sit deeper and not play as much of a high line and high press. What that did however was make us even more boring and slower in our build up play because we were naturally starting much deeper.

If Lampard is going to play the way he wants to play then we will have to play with a high defensive line because the team needs to press high as one, there cannot be gaps between the 4 defenders, 2 midfielders and 4 attackers because we'll get brutally exposed as the season wears on. I can accept there will be some teething problems and some chastening experiences against some of the big teams potentially this season but we cannot let lesser teams down the league start taking advantage too.

6 hours ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Hate that bitter twat Mourinho, can't stand his face anymore, no wonder it's 2019 and nobody would touch him anymore. One of his former players is now in charge and he dissects his game like he's in this job for 20 years. What happened to all the punditry area needing some Chelsea supporting people? And not only Liverpool? Seems you've also turned into a money grabbing bitch you lousy twat, guess it's why they've also hired you, to create one headline over another. 

Frank is young and new in this job, sure he is bound to mistakes, but at least he sticks to his principles. Mourinho would have played three half fit Kante, Rudiger and Willian and some defensive line up just for the sake of a 0-0.

Mourinho becoming a Sky Sports pundit for the season is like discovering a gold mine for the media really. Any criticism (or anything he says) from him about managers or teams is gonna be used to get quotes out of the team's manager in question etc. Easy headlines, more views.

The subject of youth and inexperience is an easy stick to beat Lampard with when it doesn't work out but what message does it send out to them otherwise - "I've said you're going to be important members of this squad this season but you're either not good enough or not ready to play in the big games"?

How many people were complaining about Sarri not giving CHO opportunities early last season despite a strong pre season? Pre season isn't just about fitness but it should also be an opportunity for young players or those on the fringes to stake a claim for a place in the team.

Mason Mount was excellent in pre season, so why shouldn't he be rewarded by Lampard with a start at Old Trafford? Tammy Abraham a similar situation. Lampard has already said if you want to play you're going to have to train hard and play well consistently because there won't be any favourites. In the first game he's already proven that it isn't just lip service and in the long term it will breed competition amongst the squad.

And to be honest at present, I only see Kepa, Rudiger and Kante who are as good as 'locks' for the team. Every other position I believe is up for grabs and experience, whilst shouldn't be completely ignored, should not be the deciding factor in team selection.

If Lampard is going to play the way he wants to play then we will have to play with a high defensive line because the team needs to press high as one, there cannot be gaps between the 4 defenders, 2 midfielders and 4 attackers because we'll get brutally exposed as the season wears on. I can accept there will be some teething problems and some chastening experiences against some of the big teams potentially this season but we cannot let lesser teams down the league start taking advantage too.

Agreed. I think 6-8 games is a reasonable point to start expecting improvements in the space between defence, midfield and attack. If the problem continues then there are tactical worries.

Klopp was just as vulnerable when he started with Liverpool but they improved consistently.

Frank really has to sort that out if he wants to go gung ho

2 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Agreed. I think 6-8 games is a reasonable point to start expecting improvements in the space between defence, midfield and attack. If the problem continues then there are tactical worries.

Klopp was just as vulnerable when he started with Liverpool but they improved consistently.

Frank really has to sort that out if he wants to go gung ho

It's very easy to forget how poor Klopp's Liverpool were defensively for (3 years?) before they brought Van Dijk (and Alisson to a lesser extent).

Lampard doesn't have the luxury of entering the market and needs to find our equivalent of Van Dijk to lead, marshall and bring composure to that defence (which I'm sure this season will be Rudiger). Otherwise he may have to wait to get the right player in there until next summer and as a result adapt to the cards he's been dealt a little. 

Luckily we're not looking at yesterday's game with our strongest possible team out thinking how can this situation be improved. There are players to come back who can make a big difference potentially to the defensive aspect of our game (Kante, Rudiger, Reece James, possibly even Willian), and hopefully that change in personnel will make a difference when they're back.

12 hours ago, Vesper said:

lets hope this lineup sees the light of day in 90 to 120 days or so

for all our sakes

92c52a2c07743ab82575a684d10a2266.png

Exactly this is our best lineup. Maybe Jorginho for Kovacic but nevertheless only four players from this lineup started at Old Trafford. 

It's very easy to forget how poor Klopp's Liverpool were defensively for (3 years?) before they brought Van Dijk (and Alisson to a lesser extent).
Lampard doesn't have the luxury of entering the market and needs to find our equivalent of Van Dijk to lead, marshall and bring composure to that defence (which I'm sure this season will be Rudiger). Otherwise he may have to wait to get the right player in there until next summer and as a result adapt to the cards he's been dealt a little. 
Luckily we're not looking at yesterday's game with our strongest possible team out thinking how can this situation be improved. There are players to come back who can make a big difference potentially to the defensive aspect of our game (Kante, Rudiger, Reece James, possibly even Willian), and hopefully that change in personnel will make a difference when they're back.
But Klopp made progress with the same players any, but better players meant the improvement was to a greater degree.

This isn't solely down to players, it can be coached. And we are quote bad at it so there is room for the players to improve.

Just now, Supermonkey92 said:

But Klopp made progress with the same players any, but better players meant the improvement was to a greater degree.

This isn't solely down to players, it can be coached. And we are quote bad at it so there is room for the players to improve.

Made progress, but it was clearly there "achilles heel" and would continue to hold them back competing for the top trophies, especially the consistency needed for the Premier League. The season before last they limped into the top 4 ahead of us. Van Dijk has elevated every single one of those defenders.

I agree that there needs to be more coaching for our defensive shape and that, coupled with time and patience should see improvement. But we also need to find someone capable of organising and leading that defence whether internally or eventually through the transfer market.

Made progress, but it was clearly there "achilles heel" and would continue to hold them back competing for the top trophies, especially the consistency needed for the Premier League. The season before last they limped into the top 4 ahead of us. Van Dijk has elevated every single one of those defenders.
I agree that there needs to be more coaching for our defensive shape and that, coupled with time and patience should see improvement. But we also need to find someone capable of organising and leading that defence whether internally or eventually through the transfer market.
No there was great progress from the first match Klopp was in charge until they bought Alisson and VD.

The season before last they made it to the CL final and conceded two unbelievable stupid goals with a confused keeper. That season they smashed city multiple times. In the league at home they killed them, and in that game that pressed as a whole team. City were shiting themselves even with 100m fullbacks. Doing it in the CL showed it was no fluke.

Point being, Klopp made progress *defensively* before spending 150m on a keeper and defender.

Anyway, unpopular opinion most likely, but no way Frank will have us playing like Klopp. He's had What, 7 years at coaching this sort of football? And he has improved since his Dortmund days. Frank will.kost likely need a similar time frame to see how this coaching ideas mould and change.