Super Frank Thread

3 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

He obviously has to make things happen but it's refreshing not just to hear from a manager that talks in such a clear and likeable manner (and not prepared to dodge around questions), but also one that speaks so positive about the club and the players he has at his disposal.

Yes we're probably light in a couple of positions going into the season but I think at times the negativity surrounding the club is multiplied excessively by managers like Mourinho, Conte and Sarri being extremely negative in the press, downplaying our chances and quality of our squad.

I hope that what Lampard currently does lack in managerial experience at present can be made up by his man management of this group of players, particularly giving the young players confidence to take their chances when they are presented.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

EBeEo7IUEAAwBqL?format=png&name=large

You'd expect one or two from Zappa, Baka and Kenedy to leave to trim the squad down to about 24-25.

8 academy lads by the looks of things in our first team squad this season so around a third. That's pretty good going.

I was never one of these to just want us to start throwing the kids in and playing them, but I wanted the club to start developing a pathway for the academy players to break into the first team squad and I've always felt the way to do that is to concentrate on improving our first XI in the transfer market and looking to the academy to fill out our squad. That way our transfer budgets will always be focused on a couple of top players rather than spread across 5 or 6 each summer, whilst the academy players will get games through the season with the amount of competitions we're in. With the exception of Cumming, all of those squad players will be hoping to at least be playing 15-20 games during the season and it's then up to them to take their chances when they get them and start to establish themselves further.

The transfer ban has helped with this, but last season there was almost a soft start to this with spending big money on key targets (Kepa, Jorginho, Pulisic) and blooding through RLC and CHO. This needs to be the blueprint for us moving forward as a club in my opinion.

Just now, Superblue_1986 said:

You'd expect one or two from Zappa, Baka and Kenedy to leave to trim the squad down to about 24-25.

8 academy lads by the looks of things in our first team squad this season so around a third. That's pretty good going.

I was never one of these to just want us to start throwing the kids in and playing them, but I wanted the club to start developing a pathway for the academy players to break into the first team squad and I've always felt the way to do that is to concentrate on improving our first XI in the transfer market and looking to the academy to fill out our squad. That way our transfer budgets will always be focused on a couple of top players rather than spread across 5 or 6 each summer, whilst the academy players will get games through the season with the amount of competitions we're in. With the exception of Cumming, all of those squad players will be hoping to at least be playing 15-20 games during the season and it's then up to them to take their chances when they get them and start to establish themselves further.

The transfer ban has helped with this, but last season there was almost a soft start to this with spending big money on key targets (Kepa, Jorginho, Pulisic) and blooding through RLC and CHO. This needs to be the blueprint for us moving forward as a club in my opinion.

Liverpool's Alisson injures calf, to miss Super Cup

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3916851/liverpool-keeper-alisson-limps-off-in-opener

our chances have just went up a lot

hate to see it happen this way, but it is what it is

Top 4 not expecting so we do we do wow we don't.. Meh. Just hope something amazing can come of this season regardless. Players have opportunities to develop themselves and prove what they can do and hope it happens. Also hope Lampard is given the time he needs and isn't a stupid case of gone by summer.. They knew his experience and the situation so can't expect him to perform miracles 

10 hours ago, Vesper said:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/liverpool/story/3916851/liverpool-keeper-alisson-limps-off-in-opener

Don't tempt fate, Vesper! :rant:

Lampard on the transfer ban and season targets...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-frank-lampard-transfer-ban-manchester-united-preview-a9051356.html

“I don’t want – and I said this to the players the first time I spoke to them – I don’t want talk of the ban, I don’t want talk of what is success, what might be success, and any lowering of standards,” said Lampard, who takes his new team to Manchester United on Sunday.

“I want to set out as we should do. And when I looked around the room I was looking at top players everywhere, and a big squad full of quality. Can we remain competitive when we are in this position? I believe we can.

“And we just have to accept that and use the challenge of what we’ve got and have absolute belief in what we’ve got because I think with the ban it’s been very easy to write off this squad somewhat.

“What matters is how we approach it and if I was a Chelsea manager who said ‘I’ll settle for sixth place this season or fourth place, or even second place’, that’s not the mindset.”

38 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

I've still got big doubts about Lampard as a manager but his attitude there couldn't be bettered 

What!!! you've got doubts about Frank.

Me no doubts whatsoever, a breath of fresh air, i've just watched a clip from his pre match conf, straight talking, sensible, honest, he makes my chest swell with pride, and he's going to be a success no matter what.

Oh and he speaka da lingo.:ph34r:

Just now, bigbluewillie said:

What!!! you've got doubts about Frank.

Me no doubts whatsoever, a breath of fresh air, i've just watched a clip from his pre match conf, straight talking, sensible, honest, he makes my chest swell with pride, and he's going to be a success no matter what.

Oh and he speakas da language.:ph34r:

His derby had big defensive problems last year and I saw the same in preseason. I think he has a good philosophy for how to play but I don't know if he can coach it successfully. We'll see 

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

His derby had big defensive problems last year and I saw the same in preseason. I think he has a good philosophy for how to play but I don't know if he can coach it successfully. We'll see 

OK mate 

You have your opinion, even if you are wrong:D

And I have mine,

But we still hope for the best.

On 09/08/2019 at 11:03 PM, Vesper said:

Defend like today and won't matter.