Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

6 hours ago, Stats said:

Ridiculous statement. I have faith in him. Reminds me of DDG when he started. He will improve. He had a good first season. Not an immediate priority for me. However certainly not as drastic as you make out.

Problem is DDG showed some good qualities when he first came. What attributes does Kepa have that anyone can say 'see, he does that well, keep the faith'. Only thing I can think of is his ability to spring back up after hitting the ground. Everything else is awful. 

On 6/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, King Kante said:

Problem is DDG showed some good qualities when he first came. What attributes does Kepa have that anyone can say 'see, he does that well, keep the faith'. Only thing I can think of is his ability to spring back up after hitting the ground. Everything else is awful. 

So did Kepa. He has the same attributes as DDG. Are people actually forgetting some of the top saves Kepa made? Of course he has showed qualities. There is a reason he dislodged DDG as the Spain no.1 keeper. I think you have forgotten because Kepa certainly made some top saves albeit made errors also, hence why I say it is not an urgent position we need to upgrade.

7 hours ago, Stats said:

So did Kepa. He has the same attributes as Kepa. Are people actually forgetting some of the top saves Kepa made? Of course he has showed qualities. There is a reason he dislodged DDG as the Spain no.1 keeper. I think you have forgotten because Kepa certainly made some top saves albeit made errors also, hence why I say it is not an urgent position we need to upgrade.

staggeringly disagree, and I was a big Kepa defender

we need to bring in a lower cost decent backup/potential starter for if/when Kepa furthers his collapse

if we roll with just Kepa and soon 39yo Willy, we are 90% likely going to get FUCKED hard

Kepa has regressed and/or never developed

his arm play is pure shit

shorts as fuck arms and weak as fuck wrists/arm strength

he is looking like a 140m quid disasterbuy atm

11 hours ago, Vesper said:

staggeringly disagree, and I was a big Kepa defender

we need to bring in a lower cost decent backup/potential starter for if/when Kepa furthers his collapse

if we roll with just Kepa and soon 39yo Willy, we are 90% likely going to get FUCKED hard

Kepa has regressed and/or never developed

his arm play is pure shit

shorts as fuck arms and weak as fuck wrists/arm strength

he is looking like a 140m quid disasterbuy atm

I never understood why we had to splash out this much cash on a keeper anyway when there are always tons of decent keepers available in the cheap. Unlike for most other positions keepers usually don’t appreciate that much in value as there are always more great keepers as spots in tops clubs. We could have easily gotten Gulacsi or Leno or some other more than solid dude for a third of that money. Heck now I would have even taken Butland over Kepa

23 hours ago, Stats said:

So did Kepa. He has the same attributes as Kepa. Are people actually forgetting some of the top saves Kepa made? Of course he has showed qualities. There is a reason he dislodged DDG as the Spain no.1 keeper. I think you have forgotten because Kepa certainly made some top saves albeit made errors also, hence why I say it is not an urgent position we need to upgrade.

Please send me the links of these amazing saves Kepa made. I grant he has had one or two very good ones (but no more than an average PL GK) but this is also stacked against absolutely awful awful play for a GK. There are also no stats for the past three years that show him to be decent in any area other than his last at Athletic where his ball collection was good. Further, for the past three years he has an a negative xG record i.e. conceeding more than he should. His save percentage is around 57% that includes the balls that loop up/roll to him so really he is about 50% on anything that can be counted as a proper shot. Lastly he is one of the smallest (if not smallest) GK in the league and has weak t-rex arms. If he was an amazing shot stopper it wouldn't matter but when his save percentage is so low it is a real problem. 

People talk about Baka and Drinky being bad buys but Kepa for me is the worst as, not only did he cost so much money and is tied to us for another 5 years as one of the best paid GK's in the league, he has also been directly responsible for a serious amount of dropped points - Newcastle away, B'mouth home, Le Arse away, Everton away, Valencia away and those are just what I can think of off the top of my head. 

7 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Please send me the links of these amazing saves Kepa made. I grant he has had one or two very good ones (but no more than an average PL GK) but this is also stacked against absolutely awful awful play for a GK. There are also no stats for the past three years that show him to be decent in any area other than his last at Athletic where his ball collection was good. Further, for the past three years he has an a negative xG record i.e. conceeding more than he should. His save percentage is around 57% that includes the balls that loop up/roll to him so really he is about 50% on anything that can be counted as a proper shot. Lastly he is one of the smallest (if not smallest) GK in the league and has weak t-rex arms. If he was an amazing shot stopper it wouldn't matter but when his save percentage is so low it is a real problem. 

People talk about Baka and Drinky being bad buys but Kepa for me is the worst as, not only did he cost so much money and is tied to us for another 5 years as one of the best paid GK's in the league, he has also been directly responsible for a serious amount of dropped points - Newcastle away, B'mouth home, Le Arse away, Everton away, Valencia away and those are just what I can think of off the top of my head. 

You are speaking only about this season. You seem to completely ignore last season when he was after Eden and with RLC our top3 player. 

Would we win EL without his penalty saves against Frankfurt? No. Even this season you mentioned Valencia game where again he saved us with a penalty save.

He was dropped in January and he was our MOTM on January 1st against Brighton and kept clean sheet 10 days later against Burnley.

He did not had any howlers like DDG many times just situations where he should do better. With better defense he would not be a issue. Also, he breakup long relationship I think in autumn and this definitely had impact.

Kante, Rudiger also dropped in quality a lot this season. 

Arsenal away? Header from 3m? How can you blame him for that? Many situations you mentioned there are players more responsible for goals than him. Basically worst his mistake is Newcastle away and that is nothing like WOW WHAT A MISTAKE, just something like oh, he should do better but happens... And if we had just solid attack we would finish that game earlier. Bournemouth home? Really? If that is one of his biggest mistake we have no problem. Azpi, Emerson and Zouma are all more responsible for that goal. Everton away again horrid back 4! 

How can he feel confident with Zouma and Emerson in front of him? 

He was great against Liverpool and Everton lately after being dropped so this is a positive sign. We need better backup tho to push him and that is it!

46 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Ok. You are really exaggerating. Watford in our 3-0 victory under Sarri last season. I think from Deeney and made an excellent reflex save to keep it at 0-0. Please check that Then we went on to win 3-0 and that would later confirm our qualification for the UCL this season. The save from Mitrovic  at Craven Cottage last season when we were 2-1 up. World class save. Another match winning save. Did you forget the double save he made from Van Dijk and Salah in the Super Cup game this season? Absolute world class saves (s). When we beat Frankfurt on penalties last season, not only did he make the saves in the penalty shoot out, he also made couple crucial saves in 90 mins to stop them winning the game. We would then go on to win the Europa League. When Sturridge scored that equalizer last season, Kepa made several crucial saves earlier on in game, most notably from Mane to keep us in front. 

Leicester beat us at the Bridge earlier last season deservedly. He made a world class save from Ndidi too. Also made a top save from Nathan Redmond this season when we battered Southampton 4-1 at St Marys. The angle which he saved that made the save even more impressive. All top reflex saves. When Kepa got dropped for a few games, he came back with a bang against Liverpool in the cup game and made several important saves to ensure we got through to next round and kept a clean sheet.

DDG is also responsible for many errors but you still consider him world class right? Yesterday's goal was another pathetic mistake from him.

I am not denying Kepa has made some glaring errors but just think it is OTT with you believing he is worst signing ever etc and to even compare him to Baka and Drinkwater is just ridiculous. 

16 minutes ago, Stats said:

Ok. You are really exaggerating. Watford in our 3-0 victory under Sarri last season. I think from Deeney and made an excellent reflex save to keep it at 0-0. Please check that Then we went on to win 3-0 and that would later confirm our qualification for the UCL this season. The save from Mitrovic  at Craven Cottage last season when we were 2-1 up. World class save. Another match winning save. Did you forget the double save he made from Van Dijk and Salah in the Super Cup game this season? Absolute world class saves (s). When we beat Frankfurt on penalties last season, not only did he make the saves in the penalty shoot out, he also made couple crucial saves in 90 mins to stop them winning the game. We would then go on to win the Europa League. When Sturridge scored that equalizer last season, Kepa made several crucial saves earlier on in game, most notably from Mane to keep us in front. 

Leicester beat us at the Bridge earlier last season deservedly. He made a world class save from Ndidi too. Also made a top save from Nathan Redmond this season when we battered Southampton 4-1 at St Marys. The angle which he saved that made the save even more impressive. All top reflex saves. When Kepa got dropped for a few games, he came back with a bang against Liverpool in the cup game and made several important saves to ensure we got through to next round and kept a clean sheet.

DDG is also responsible for many errors but you still consider him world class right? Yesterday's goal was another pathetic mistake from him.

I am not denying Kepa has made some glaring errors but just think it is OTT with you believing he is worst signing ever etc and to even compare him to Baka and Drinkwater is just ridiculous. 

I also remember West Ham away last season 0:0 game when he had world class save. I have been attacked that I disrespect our players but tbh I have been biggest defender of Kepa, Alonso, Rudiger, CHO, Pulisic, Jorginho...

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

You are speaking only about this season. You seem to completely ignore last season when he was after Eden and with RLC our top3 player. 

Would we win EL without his penalty saves against Frankfurt? No. Even this season you mentioned Valencia game where again he saved us with a penalty save.

He was dropped in January and he was our MOTM on January 1st against Brighton and kept clean sheet 10 days later against Burnley.

He did not had any howlers like DDG many times just situations where he should do better. With better defense he would not be a issue. Also, he breakup long relationship I think in autumn and this definitely had impact.

Kante, Rudiger also dropped in quality a lot this season. 

Arsenal away? Header from 3m? How can you blame him for that? Many situations you mentioned there are players more responsible for goals than him. Basically worst his mistake is Newcastle away and that is nothing like WOW WHAT A MISTAKE, just something like oh, he should do better but happens... And if we had just solid attack we would finish that game earlier. Bournemouth home? Really? If that is one of his biggest mistake we have no problem. Azpi, Emerson and Zouma are all more responsible for that goal. Everton away again horrid back 4! 

How can he feel confident with Zouma and Emerson in front of him? 

He was great against Liverpool and Everton lately after being dropped so this is a positive sign. We need better backup tho to push him and that is it!

For last season he was ok but not great and a lot of the saves you go on about are good saves but they are also saves you see from other PL GK's. Personally, I do not really include PK shoot outs as it is a confidence thing and the main one he saved was right at him. 

Also, when I said Le Arse away I meant at home where he let that Bellerin goal in. As for the Liverpool home FA Cup game, those shots should be saved as all where virtually at him. However, because he has been so poor he gets undue credit for it. 

Liverpool in the Super Cup and the Fulham one are the only ones I really count as great. As for Everton away, his passing was the key problem with the second. I agree he doesn't have the greatest defence in front of him but at the same time the defence can say they do not have the greatest GK behind them. It is like chicken and egg. 

Personally, I am still yet to see anything from him that makes me think he will improve and all the stats also back me on this. I mean his 1vs1 stats are awful, as he runs out to no mans land and has it slot past him every time. As bad as his save percentage is (which ranks him something like 168 out of 174 for EU GK's) I think his 1v1 ranks him worst. 

On 19/06/2020 at 0:09 PM, Stats said:

Ridiculous statement. I have faith in him. Reminds me of DDG when he started. He will improve. He had a good first season. Not an immediate priority for me. However certainly not as drastic as you make out.

You can't measure faith.

He is statistically the worst goalkeeper in the league. Numbers never lie.

15 minutes ago, SUNZ said:

You can't measure faith.

He is statistically the worst goalkeeper in the league. Numbers never lie.

Well sometime numbers flatter to deceive, (strictly making a philosophical point) but I agree 100% with you that right now, Kepa is amongst the worst starting keepers in the League. Of ALL our positions, GK is the one who worries me the most, followed by LB (fixed with one smart buy) and  of course CB.

In other words, basically our entire back core defence (as Reece is still learning and Azpi is almost 31 and his legs are going).

When people try to defend Kepa, they really need to read this in-depth analysis on him: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2020/5/14/21257561/solving-chelseas-kepa-conundrum-part-1

Honestly, this is a very good article on why there are rightly so many Kepa detractors. 

Have to admit... although I really don't want too... he is average at best.

It's hard to envision him ever becoming a top World Class gk on the level of Cech. 

At this moment in time, it does seem a massive waste of money spent on him.

4 hours ago, SUNZ said:

Please lord make this happen

Whats the point of this?

Valencia cant afford to pay anywhere near 70m and we wont have the money to properly replace him for the next 2 years. 

I honestly wonder how much can we get for him at all, if we do sell him. And how can we buy a new top gk if we dont sell Kepa first. 

Seems we are stuck with him. That said he wasnt bad in last 2 games.

3 hours ago, DDA said:

Have to admit... although I really don't want too... he is average at best.

It's hard to envision him ever becoming a top World Class gk on the level of Cech. 

At this moment in time, it does seem a massive waste of money spent on him.

Very very few get to even come close to Cech, Kepa aint that guy sadly.