Edinson Cavani

CFC58

I fully agree with Justin in this case.

This time last year excuses for Torres were valid, not settled in London yet, lack of service, not had a proper break for 3 years, getting use to new team mates and yet to have a full pre season here.

Yes they were valid excuses at the time, all of those excuses were wiped out last summer yes including the service excuse, the second Mata came through the door that was the case.

The fact is he has not had one game yet where we can look back and say, that is what we spent £50m for, if we spent the same amount on Cavani he will probably be leading Torres in that respect after 3 games, at worse.

The excuses made for Nando are quite frankly terrifying, ive was scouring through other forum's today and some Chelsea fans (ie members of the OTT Torres fanclub) were as good as protesting against Cavani coming here, a couple of people resorted to calling him Crapani :doh: :doh: i genuinely could not believe my eyes.

The bottom line is for most of his Chelsea career to date, Torres has been absolute shit, has made Kalou look like Messi most of the time.

How did you come to the conclusion that someone not wanting Cavani or calling him 'Crapani' means he's a Torres fanboy/girl?

I fully agree with Justin in this case.

This time last year excuses for Torres were valid, not settled in London yet, lack of service, not had a proper break for 3 years, getting use to new team mates and yet to have a full pre season here.

Yes they were valid excuses at the time, all of those excuses were wiped out last summer yes including the service excuse, the second Mata came through the door that was the case.

The fact is he has not had one game yet where we can look back and say, that is what we spent £50m for, if we spent the same amount on Cavani he will probably be leading Torres in that respect after 3 games, at worse.

The excuses made for Nando are quite frankly terrifying, ive was scouring through other forum's today and some Chelsea fans (ie members of the OTT Torres fanclub) were as good as protesting against Cavani coming here, a couple of people resorted to calling him Crapani :doh: :doh: i genuinely could not believe my eyes.

The bottom line is for most of his Chelsea career to date, Torres has been absolute shit, has made Kalou look like Messi most of the time.

i for the record never made case of lack of service or a fanboy of torres (im studge fanboy.)

i honestly dont care if we get cavani all i say is if he comes torres MUST be sold. becuz i cant stand people that fantasize over-kill, manager-mode fifa like lineups. there is no case in a 4231 that anyonr can make for both strikers to be here. so whatever happens fine, but one striker max!

How did you come to the conclusion that someone not wanting Cavani or calling him 'Crapani' means he's a Torres fanboy/girl?

Because most of their reasoning behind not wanting Cavani and calling him "Crapani" amoungst other things was Torres 'might' come good.

i for the record never made case of lack of service or a fanboy of torres (im studge fanboy.)

i honestly dont care if we get cavani all i say is if he comes torres MUST be sold. becuz i cant stand people that fantasize over-kill, manager-mode fifa like lineups. there is no case in a 4231 that anyonr can make for both strikers to be here. so whatever happens fine, but one striker max!

We won't stick to 4-2-3-1 all season long, not if we want to get anywhere, yes we will start playing that way, but eventually teams will start to suss us so we will have to change, the system RDM decides to change too could require 2 forwards, which is where a Cavani and Torres partnership will come in, dont rule Danny out of that equation either.

Squad depth???

Well anyhow the club are looking for another CF, if reports are true that Dortmund turn down a bid for Lewandosky.

With Lukaku going on a loan...and most likely he will need to develop somewhere else for about 2 seasons or so, another CF is really needed.

I think with Hulk we kill 2 birds with one stone, but if it can't be done, it can't be done and we will go for someone else like Cavani and such.

We won't stick to 4-2-3-1 all season long, not if we want to get anywhere, yes we will start playing that way, but eventually teams will start to suss us so we will have to change, the system RDM decides to change too could require 2 forwards, which is where a Cavani and Torres partnership will come in, dont rule Danny out of that equation either.

we stuck with 433 and won 3 EPL titles!! how could u posibly use that argument, a span of 7 years and different managers and we still won. apart from ocassional 41212 we have had 433 all the way.

but also discoubt that, cavani played virtually every game for napoli, u think he's gona accept alternation role with torres? no way, 35mill pounds is for an everyday player, not someone to compete for place.

we stuck with 433 and won 3 EPL titles!! how could u posibly use that argument, a span of 7 years and different managers and we still won. apart from ocassional 41212 we have had 433 all the way.

but also discoubt that, cavani played virtually every game for napoli, u think he's gona accept alternation role with torres? no way, 35mill pounds is for an everyday player, not someone to compete for place.

Very good point.

Which is why we have gone for 'lesser' targets after not sealing a Hulk deal, with the likes of Moses, Schurrle and recently Lewandosky.

Very good point.

Which is why we have gone for 'lesser' targets after not sealing a Hulk deal, with the likes of Moses, Schurrle and recently Lewandosky.

THANK YOU! althoough yeah ryan i agree lewandowski is not lesser but one who can play 2nd fidle.

In 2004/2005 we started with the diamond then went to 4-3-3, then in 2005/2006 about March time 4-3-3 and the wing play was getting found out and United could quite possible have caught us if Jose didn't revert back to 4-4-2 with Drogba and Crespo up top.

Then in Carlo's first year we started with the diamond, it wasn't until January we reverted back to 4-3-3.

In 2004/2005 we started with the diamond then went to 4-3-3, then in 2005/2006 about March time 4-3-3 and the wing play was getting found out and United could quite possible have caught us if Jose didn't revert back to 4-4-2 with Drogba and Crespo up top.

Then in Carlo's first year we started with the diamond, it wasn't until January we reverted back to 4-3-3.

and those years from end of mourinho to carlo it was 433, so 433 60-70% of time, anyways back to subject of cavani, we dont need him and i would love for you to make case for why we need him? you said earlier because of system change? what makes you think cavani and torrres will work. torres is like drogba, in it he needs to be loner up top. he has never been with other striker and his time here has proved that. wheather its a target man like DDA, or pacey one like anelka, it has never truly worked, so he needs to be alone up top. no need for cavani at all! if he fails by himself up top there are no excuses and calls for cavani can be justified, but to replace torres not be his backup!?

we dont need him and i would love for you to make case for why we need him?

Because he is the best forward in the world (in my opinion).

Because Torres is only one little knock away from another goal drought.

Because he is the closest to Didier Drogba Europe is likely to see for a long time.

Because he is a big game player, Torres isnt any more and Danny isnt (yet).

Because Didier's departure has left a gaping hole in our front line, in more ways than one, if Torres has another stinking start (which is not beyond the realms of possibility, infact it is more possible than not) then the pressure is on young Danny to score goals.

Bottom line is Torres as number one forward is far too risky, he has shown nothing to suggest he can reproduce the form that a team challenging for big honours need from their number one forward, plus he has no mental strength, look at Didier, he thrived on abuse from opposition fans, with Torres its the opposite, play him against Liverpool and he ends up back in his shell again.

Because he is the closest to Didier Drogba Europe is likely to see for a long time.

Because Didier's departure has left a gaping hole in our front line, in more ways than one, if Torres has another stinking start (which is not beyond the realms of possibility, infact it is more possible than not) then the pressure is on young Danny to score goals.

Bottom line is Torres as number one forward is far too risky, he has shown nothing to suggest he can reproduce the form that a team challenging for big honours need from their number one forward, plus he has no mental strength, look at Didier, he thrived on abuse from opposition fans, with Torres its the opposite, play him against Liverpool and he ends up back in his shell again.

i agree wholeheartedly in virtually every point you made about him but i would only want him here if torres is sold not kept like you alluded to earlier. there is no way you can have both which is what i've been shoutin bout for last weeks. there is no way, or buy a striker like danny flexible enough to play winger like a (jovetic/hulk/moses etc.)

having two 35mil players sharing one role is not realistic at all. and even if we do change how can can you be assured its gona be with two strikers? could be 433 or 4411, or 4321? you dont just spend 35mil+ on a huntch that it MAY need change, only on starting players.

point well noted on why different formations, throughout the year.

But the 4-3-3 (and its variants, 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1, etc.) is still the formation our players like best/respond to. Mourinho ingrained that into the culture of the club. Every now and then we will have to change it to counter specific opposition threats, as Kostas once said "The greatest managers in the world are chameleons not goldfish". But it will remain the formation we use most of the time. I remember Ancelotti trying a 4-4-2 to fit Drogba and Torres in and that didn't work out very well at all.

There's no reason why we can't have 2 good strikers like Madrid, Bayern, Man city or Man utd do. Even Gourlay hinted at that after we won the CL.

Torres will stay, i'm 99% sure of that, we just have to add someone else.

Wouldn't mind any of Soldado, Huntelaar, Lewandowski and of course Falcao (unrealistic but still hope to see him in a Chelsea shirt one day :D)

Completely agree like imagine we did not have Drogba last season. If we only had Torres we would have struggled as Drogba had to help out so much times when Torres wasnt firing. If that happens this season then we have either a young player who plays there but maybe needs to go out on loan and another one who isnt proven he can play as a striker at us. I know if Torres misfires next season the question will be "why did we not buy another striker"? and I certainly will be one of those as well as although Torres showed glimpses of his former self last season he was largely inconsistent and invisible while Cavani is just a brilliant striker and would love to have him here but looks unlikely.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You