Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Everyone has a right to their opinion, I just don't get the why words "weak" or "in a shell" get associated so much with McEachran. He's on his first full season loan spell for cryin out loud! But since this is a Chalobah thread, he could use another spell on loan. Not because I don't think he's good enough but because Zola says he likes Nathaniel as a defensive midfielder. OK, let's look at who's in front of him: Mikel, Ramires, Romeu and possibly David Luiz. Chalobah has the skills to be a box to box midfielder maybe so then it comes down to is he better than Ramires next season or rather than rust on the bench, why not do another loan spell in the EPL and then the club can reassess if they should sell a defensive midfielder to make room for him. Now if he's envisioned to provide backup next season as a centre back and part time defensive midfielder then playing opportunities seem just as slim if Omeruo arrives from Ado Den Haag next season. At least we are able to have this discussion, rather than say "wow our youth setup sucks".

Place McEachran around Mikel, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, De Bryune and watch him develope into a class holding midfielder. Won't happen right away, but he will grow immensely with quality players surrounding him as he gains experience. Nathaniel as well

They were youth protects, born and bread in Catalonia,showed promise and the club carried it's tradition in promoting youth. Something we constantly fail to do.

Great post except that Iniesta was born in Castile or something. I don't think he is Catalan...NITPICKING!

I remembering reading Mata saying one of his biggest surprise upon coming to the bridge was Machechran and how incredibly talented he was. I believe both these guys have the potential to make it here, whether or not they will be given the opportunity is another thing.

Great post except that Iniesta was born in Castile or something. I don't think he is Catalan...NITPICKING!

Exactly why I will always admire los Caballeros blancos, particularly Iniesta. Not full of shit half the time and arrogant beyond belief and the ideology they are superior than the rest of Spain which has always been the case with the Catalans.

Exactly why I will always admire los Caballeros blancos, particularly Iniesta. Not full of shit half the time and arrogant beyond belief and the ideology they are superior than the rest of Spain which is always been the case with the Catalans.

I imagine Mr Barça DNA bothers you then...

People who want to compare the likes of Xavi and Iniesta to McEachran should probably acknowledge that those two players had between them more than 100 appearances for Barcelona B. That's simply something we don't have at our disposal and serves only to highlight the problem facing all English clubs in promoting youth.

People also say we've failed to promote young players - who? Which young players have come through the academy that we've missed out on? Jack Cork? Scott Sinclair?

The academy in it's current state is less than a decade old. Is it any surprise that only now we're seeing young teams with maybe four or five players who could realistically make the grade here?

Also, when people accuse me of taking their comments out of context (which I didn't - I quoted the line in it's entirety) then maybe they'd like to explain just how they feel they've been misquoted so that I can apologise if needs be.

Those who believe in Chalobah are correct.

According to Zola, he has been a very good surprise.

At 18 he already made 25 league & cup starts, scoring 4 goals in his first season as a professional. An admirable feat, many feel.

From my point of view, I am hoping he won´t be wanted to fill a void at Stamford Bridge next season.

Chalobah is closer to the first team than McEachran. Should Watford fail to get promoted, then i reckon we should keep him as cover in the pivot for the departing Lampard

That's because not only is Chalobah a very good footballer he is also is bigger, stronger and faster than McEachran.

Zac Smale ‏@zachary90

Chalobah hit a young lad in the face with a wayward shot in the warm up. Went over and gave him a hug and a ball. Jealous.

Essien did a similar thing a few years ago when training before a match for Chelsea. Let's hope Chalobah can match his efforts on the pitch for Chelsea as well!