Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

What I said about Capoue was half in jest, but he's still completely new to the Premier League and has absolutely no Champions League experience. Fair enough he's picked up 5 caps for France, but that's 2 less than Sissoko who went to Newcastle and is a year younger. He's also been dropped from the latest French squad because Deschamps said he hasn't been good enough.....for Toulouse!!

And who replaced him? Pogba - a player who I always thought Chalobah outplayed at youth level. Here's a kid who has been given a chance by Juventus (a pretty decent team I'm sure we'll all agree) and rewarded them, although until he's had a season on loan at Watford it's hard to be certain.

I feel that it is his capacity that should drive any decision whether to buy him or not, experience in PL and CL is of secondary importance (he is, in contrast to Chalobah, ready for a better team). After all, there is no need for him to be punished for something that is out of his own control.

Toulouse is not a great team, and they have lost some key players over the years. Capoue puts in some really good effort despite of this, but a defensive midfielder can rarely change a game by himself.

I do not know how much you follow Ligue1, but Sissoko has been seen as the golden child for quite some time now, and he have yet to repay this trust. He has been fairly inconsistent and while I believe that he is better than Capoue on a good day, they are few and far in between. I lived in France last year, and people genereally said that Toulouse would miss Capoue far more than Sissoko. Point is, the caps do not speak the whole story here, they might have been based on wishful thinking as much as actual performance.

Pogba is an excellent choice for the national team, I too would have chosen him. Capoue is a different player though, and it is someone like him that Chelsea needs.

We have more than enough def/attack hybrids, we need a pure defensive midfielder that is similar in playing style to Mikel but at a higher level. I believe that Capoue can be that player, and his reasonable fee makes a good argument aswell.

Besides, I am not sure what problem you are seeing here. If you saw my first post on this subject I was calling for Chalobah and Capoue to play together in the future, not be rivals for the same position. What I said about Chalobah was that he should be loaned out to a PL team next season where he can get a lot of gametime. Are you seriously questioning that, and implying that Chalobah should be in our first team next season?

I would happily play Chalobah next season. The easy thing to say is that he should be loaned out because that requires zero knowledge of him as a player. All it requires is an ability to read his date of birth.

Technically, physically and mentally I'd back him.

Capoue could be a good player for us, but I personally think he'd be competing for a spot with Chalobah alongside a playmaker and I don't think he's any less of a risk that Chalobah. He's unproven in the Premier League, he's unproven in the Champions League and his form has dipped. He'd also cost money, take up a non-homegrown spot and cost more in wages than Chalobah.

We'll probably be left with Ramires, Mikel and Romeu (assuming Frank leaves). If we stick with the 4231 then we'll need 5/6 players for those positions. The jump from the Championship to the Premier League is a massive one in terms of quality and the pace of the game and so those assuming that Chalobah can just make it into our first team squad and start are getting ahead of themselves. He already does have problems of being too casual on the ball at times and in Premiership he'll get punished for that, like we've seen with Mikel countless amount of times. Best thing is just to wait until pre-season and see how he performs with the rest of the squad and if he is in fact ready to start ahead of Mikel, Ramires, Romeu as well as a possible new CM signing

We'll probably be left with Ramires, Mikel and Romeu (assuming Frank leaves). If we stick with the 4231 then we'll need 5/6 players for those positions. The jump from the Championship to the Premier League is a massive one in terms of quality and the pace of the game and so those assuming that Chalobah can just make it into our first team squad and start are getting ahead of themselves. He already does have problems of being too casual on the ball at times and in Premiership he'll get punished for that, like we've seen with Mikel countless amount of times. Best thing is just to wait until pre-season and see how he performs with the rest of the squad and if he is in fact ready to start ahead of Mikel, Ramires, Romeu as well as a possible new CM signing

I don't think he's too casual at all. I think that's simply patience on the ball as opposed to absent-minded dawdling like Mikel does, or lazily giving the ball away like Josh does.

But you're right that the jump is big. Have you seen anything in his game to suggest that he couldn't make it though? It won't be without faults, but that's what happens when players learn and let's not pretend that our current options don't have a multitude of faults in their game despite being 6-7 years older.

I don't think he's too casual at all. I think that's simply patience on the ball as opposed to absent-minded dawdling like Mikel does, or lazily giving the ball away like Josh does.

But you're right that the jump is big. Have you seen anything in his game to suggest that he couldn't make it though? It won't be without faults, but that's what happens when players learn and let's not pretend that our current options don't have a multitude of faults in their game despite being 6-7 years older.

It's something i've picked up on whenever I gone to watch him (Watford happens to be my local club luckily) and a few Watford accounts on twitter say something similar. It's not because he's lazy or anything, but he just dawdles on the ball from time to time. It's led to Watford being placed under unnecessary pressure judging from some of the match reports/reviews.

If he's going to play DM then the fact that he's to casual on the ball is a problem. I don't have any doubts that Chalobah will be a star here, all i'm saying is that it should be remembered that he's 18and next season will likely be his first one in the PL (whether it's with us or not). Saying he's already better than this player, or he'll replace this player is far too premature, he has a long way to go before making it at Chelsea. Looking good in the Championship is completely different to performing in a Chelsea team competing in the CL, PL etc

It's something i've picked up on whenever I gone to watch him (Watford happens to be my local club luckily) and a few Watford accounts on twitter say something similar. It's not because he's lazy or anything, but he just dawdles on the ball from time to time. It's led to Watford being placed under unnecessary pressure judging from some of the match reports/reviews.

If he's going to play DM then the fact that he's to casual on the ball is a problem. I don't have any doubts that Chalobah will be a star here, all i'm saying is that it should be remembered that he's 18and next season will likely be his first one in the PL (whether it's with us or not). Saying he's already better than this player, or he'll replace this player is far too premature, he has a long way to go before making it at Chelsea. Looking good in the Championship is completely different to performing in a Chelsea team competing in the CL, PL etc

Every time I've seen him play on tv, it's looked easy for him. Guys like him need to be pushed and if Zola can't coach him to stop dawdling on the ball then maybe he needs to be around better influences.

The only way we're going to know if he can make it as this club is by giving him a shot and I think he'll simply do what he's always done, and step-up.

Every time I've seen him play on tv, it's looked easy for him. Guys like him need to be pushed and if Zola can't coach him to stop dawdling on the ball then maybe he needs to be around better influences.

The only way we're going to know if he can make it as this club is by giving him a shot and I think he'll simply do what he's always done, and step-up.

Yeah which is why I said we should see how he does in Pre-season before passing judgement on who he's should replace or displace in our team. Could be like Wilshere who fitted instantly, or Cleverley who needed a few more loans

Yeah which is why I said we should see how he does in Pre-season before passing judgement on who he's should replace or displace in our team. Could be like Wilshere who fitted instantly, or Cleverley who needed a few more loans

He's definitely better than Cleverley was (and is, and could ever hope to be) and close to Wilshere in terms of ability but he doesn't have to do as much as Wilshere does in the Arsenal team. He has the ability to hit 40 yard passes or even take players on but he can always keep it small and simple.

The key point for me is that we already have players who make mistakes in that position. Mikel dawdles on the ball and gets caught out an alarming amount whilst Ramires struggles with his passing in games where teams put pressure on him. It's not like we're asking him to come in and be the new Messiah. He isn't replacing Makelele or Ballack or Essien in the team.

He's definitely better than Cleverley was (and is, and could ever hope to be) and close to Wilshere in terms of ability but he doesn't have to do as much as Wilshere does in the Arsenal team. He has the ability to hit 40 yard passes or even take players on but he can always keep it small and simple.

The key point for me is that we already have players who make mistakes in that position. Mikel dawdles on the ball and gets caught out an alarming amount whilst Ramires struggles with his passing in games where teams put pressure on him. It's not like we're asking him to come in and be the new Messiah. He isn't replacing Makelele or Ballack or Essien in the team.

But then Chalobah also makes mistakes in that position, and we'll probably sign a new CM too.

The difference being that he's 18 and learning from every mistake, and not 25/26 and making the same ones over and over.

Another difference being that those players have performed against the best players in the world, have played a big part in winning trophies for us and are currently better players.

Another difference being that those players have performed against the best players in the world, have played a big part in winning trophies for us and are currently better players.

They've also fucked up or disappeared against big teams. They may be better but not significantly in my opinion and certain not for much longer.

They've also fucked up or disappeared against big teams. They may be better but not significantly in my opinion and certain not for much longer.

Every player in the world does that. Ronaldo did that against Barca on numerous times. Where was Schweinsteiger in the CL final? Where was Van Persie in both legs against Madrid? The fact is they may have bad games from time to time, but every player does. There contribution playing against some of Europe's best and the PL's best has been immense and is why they've been handed new contracts. I don't think you realise the difference in quality between the Championship and Premiership. Put Mikel in the Championship and he'd look outstanding (Just like he did at the AFCON) same with Ramires. Obviously it's your opinion, but I do think you overrate Chalobah a bit. Undoubtedly talented, but he's got a long way to go

He's always played above his age group at both youth level and U21 etc. with the national team. I don't see why he can't do the same with senior club football at Chelsea.

Who knows. For all we know, we'll sign Mourinho, then viola - Chalobah is our Varane - only playing in midfield instead. Or defence. We'll see. No one can determine whether he is ready or not. I respect both opinions. I personally feel that he is ready to be thrown into the deep-end, but at the same time, I'd much rather see him loaned out for another season so I can get excited while tracking his progress over 30 or so games.

Who knows. For all we know, we'll sign Mourinho, then viola - Chalobah is our Varane - only playing in midfield instead. Or defence. We'll see. No one can determine whether he is ready or not. I respect both opinions. I personally feel that he is ready to be thrown into the deep-end, but at the same time, I'd much rather see him loaned out for another season so I can get excited while tracking his progress over 30 or so games.

Completely agree

Every player in the world does that. Ronaldo did that against Barca on numerous times. Where was Schweinsteiger in the CL final? Where was Van Persie in both legs against Madrid? The fact is they may have bad games from time to time, but every player does. There contribution playing against some of Europe's best and the PL's best has been immense and is why they've been handed new contracts. I don't think you realise the difference in quality between the Championship and Premiership. Put Mikel in the Championship and he'd look outstanding (Just like he did at the AFCON) same with Ramires. Obviously it's your opinion, but I do think you overrate Chalobah a bit. Undoubtedly talented, but he's got a long way to go

Mikel and Ramires aren't Schweinsteiger or Ronaldo. Not even close.

I do realise the difference between the Championship and Premier League, but I'm judging the kid on his entire body of work. Everything I've seen of him makes me think he can be a very good player indeed and he has intangibles that Mikel simply doesn't possess. That's why people talk of him as captain material.

It's also why I'd throw him in. Maybe he'd disappear against teams like Man City or give the ball away against European powerhouses like Juventus and Steaua, but would we really notice the difference?